Cultivated Reef

Red Sea Max Index Thread

StevieT

there is one in the top lefthand corner by the electrical chamber & i think there is one in the base. I have spoken to Pinky at redsea (who has been amazingly helpful) and she says it could be resealed without a structural issue (which I thought very refreshing, as most people would just say no to cover their butts) but i think i might lean on the side of caution and get a replacement tank for peace of mind,

• 2 weeks later...
there is one in the top lefthand corner by the electrical chamber & i think there is one in the base. I have spoken to Pinky at redsea (who has been amazingly helpful) and she says it could be resealed without a structural issue (which I thought very refreshing, as most people would just say no to cover their butts) but i think i might lean on the side of caution and get a replacement tank for peace of mind,

MrBritton -

Is the leak that you are getting in the top right corner near the electrical chamber comming from the main tank or from the sump in the back of the tank?

1. If its comming from the main tank this means that its the seal where the two main pcs of glass come together (the back piece and the side piece) If you are able to empty your tank, I would strongly recommend cutting out the silicone that is already in the tank (the fillet in the corner) with a sharp new razor blade. Do not try to cut out the silicone sandwiched between the two pieces of glass this is holding the glass together so avoid cutting in this area. Clean it very good with alch. and tape each peice of glass to get a nice strait edge (I use the blue painters tape). Then run a bead of silicone down the corner and with a wet finger to smooth it out. then immediately remove the tape and dont touch it for a day or so.

2. If its comming from inside the sump this means that the thin piece of glass that seperates the sump from the electric chamber is leaking. On my tank, there is not a really large fillet of silicone in these corners so if it were me I would maybe avoid cutting out the existing silicone, and would think about just adding more.....or at a minimum locate the leaking area and only cut out a small section of silicone then follow above instructions to apply the new silicone.

Just make sure you use aquarium safe silicone....not sure how to tell if one is safe over the other, so I just over pay for the stuff at the fishstore....I then dont have to worry about it being safe (theoretically anyway) :)

What ever you do....make sure you clean the surface really well....it is key to having the silicone stick!!!

Not sure of the situation, but if you can get a replacement tank for free then yea do it....but otherwise, I would fix it yourself...its not a big deal.......and you wont even be able to notice the rework. Did it to mine. I bought a used one here a month or so ago, and the silicone in the back right corner inside the tank was looking a little dry. I simply cut all the silicone out of the corner (not the stuff sandwiched between the two pcs of glass) cleaned it up well and taped it.....and it looks like new..cant even tell. and it doesnt leak.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

• 3 months later...

I took it over, the OP (bluesky) lost his tank a few years ago :( so it needed to live on

Edited by StevieT
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone...I have a 6 month old 130. I've been thinking about getting the Tunze 9002, been reading about how important it is to maintain the water level on the skimmer. How much is too much evaporation? I've been topping off every few days, maybe 3/4" to an 1" at a time. Is that too much for the 9002? Thanks

Edited by gwcreefer
Hi everyone...I have a 6 month old 130. I've been thinking about getting the Tunze 9002, been reading about how important it is to maintain the water level on the skimmer. How much is too much evaporation? I've been topping off every few days, maybe 3/4" to an 1" at a time. Is that too much for the 9002? Thanks

I have Tunze 9002 and have found maintaining good water level is important. I loose about one gallon of water a week due to evaporation. I just got an Apex Lite controller and wil be creating an ATO which will keep the water level within an acceptable range. I've see posts by other owners of the 9002 who say plus or minus 2 cm of the waterline indicator is fine. My personal experience with the Tunze is not as good as other but I feel that is because of my perpetually low water level and that I haven't optimized the airflow.

1" is way too much you are fluxing you salinity too far with that. Try topping off more often or just get an ATO so you are not a slave to the tank. With an ATO the Tunze will work fine.

I'm setting up ATO on my 130 using Digital Aquatics float switches an an Apex. I was Looking for recommendations on where to put the float switches. Should they be in the tank or in the back chamber? If in the back chamber, which one?

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for a silver stand for the RSM 130D. Does anyone have one that they are no longer using? If all else fails, I will have to build a stand. Anyone have any cool designs under their RSM 130D? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought the tunze and a media rack. Whats everybody putting in the racks? On In Tank web site they have purigen in rack 2 and chemi pure on the bottom. Do you think thats the best ? How often do you have to change it out? The tunze is quiet, I keep looking in to see if its working. Thanks

1 more quick question, where do you buy the stealth heaters?

Yes they were. Don't buy a stealth right now(if you can even find one) they were under recall this year. Look into a Jager

Do you think thats the best ?

Are you asking me or just anyone reading?

Well since I am inTank :happy: you know mine.

I like purigen and chemi pure elite

You could also buy bulk carbon and GFO and make your own.

There is also seagel that comes in the same size bag as purigen.

Main thing is filter floss on top, catches all the detritus before it gets into the rear chamber for crystal clear water.

• 1 month later...