Cultivated Reef

Red Sea Max Index Thread

StevieT

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I just joined the RSM team. I have a new build thread I just started and will be posting a lot of info and updates later in the day. Thanks

Edited by dustinc
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a repost that I felt would be better placed in this thread...

So after about a week and a half of waiting impatiently my tank finally arrived. I spent most of Wednesday night and Thursday night getting the tank setup and filled with water. I ordered 20lbs of premium Fiji and 15lbs of Timora rock from Premium Aquatics on Thursday morning and scheduled to have it delivered Saturday. I figured this would work out perfect as I can use Friday night to just relax and then spend the weekend aquascaping and adding the sand. Well to my surprise when I got home from work on Friday my rock was there waiting for me so my night of relaxation was not to be and my first attempt at aquascaping began.

Whoever thinks aquascaping is fun is crazy. It was one of the most frustrating things I have ever attempted. The first thing I did was unpack all the rock and put it in the tank to get it all wet again since the paper they shipped it in was drying out. To my surprise as I put the first piece of rock in the water a small shrimp came flying off the rock and started running around the bottom of the tank. The thing almost gave me a heart attack. I tried to capture it to make sure it wasn't a mantis shrimp or something bad but it burrowed itself into one of the holes in the rock and I haven't seen it since. After I got all the rock in the tank and let it soak for a few minutes I took it all out of the tank and laid it out in my floor so I could get a good look and what I had to work with. At first I tried to set up my aquascape outside the tank on the floor only to realize that every design I came up with was impossible to redo inside the tank. Then I tried to do it inside the tank and after about 3 hours of frustration and complete exhaustion setting in from being up until 2am the past few nights I gave up for the night and went to sleep.

I woke up Saturday morning and reassessed the situation and decided I needed more rock to make this work. So I went to the LFS and picked up another 6lbs of Fiji and a really nice 6lb piece of base rock. When I got back to my place I recruited my father in-law to help me with the aquascaping. I found it to be a lot easier with two people since we were able to bounce ideas of each other and after about an hour and a half the aquascaping was done and I added the sand. Man does it take awhile for the tank to clear after you add the sand. I couldn't see anything in my tank until the next morning and it didn't fully clear up until last night. I did notice a few things living in my tank. I think I have a bunch of feather dusters in there but I'm not sure. They are these tiny worn looking things that have these duster head things that keep popping in and out when I watch them. The other thing I noticed last night was what looks like a small muscle that I thought was part of one of the rocks but it was moving last night and this morning was gone. Not sure exactly what it is and will try to get pictures of both things. I still haven't seen that shrimp again but I am sure he will appear sooner or later.

I did my first water test last night and the results were as follows:

PH-8.1

NH3-.2

Nitrites- 0

Nitrates- 0

SG- 1.025

Temp- 80.2

And now for some pictures:

First package of stuff to arrive:

DSC_0061.jpg

Tank Setup:

DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

Tank after giving up aquascaping Friday night:

DSC_0167.jpg

Tank after completing aquascape and adding sand (still a bit murky from sand):

DSC_0018.jpg

Left Side:

DSC_0017.jpg

Right Side:

DSC_0015.jpg

More pictures to come as the cycle advances...

thadscottmoore

Ad me please- I have a RSM 130D. Been running it since December two years ago. Live sand and 42 pounds of rock in it now. Have a powder blue tang, a foxnose, a diamond goby, a coral banded shrimp, 1 feather duster, 2 frog spawn with three large heads each, 1 hammer head coral with 3 heads, 1 fist size green star polyp group, various mushrooms, 5 different zoas, and then the xenia and kenya tree that I am trying to get rid of and wishing I never put in the tank. I had a brittle star I kept for a year that was 18 inches tip to tip- it ate my first goby and had to find a new home.

Hello- This thread was designed to add memebers that have threads started on their tanks. Start one and I can add you! I'm telling you now but you will take heat for the blue tang and the foxface.

thadscottmoore
Hello- This thread was designed to add memebers that have threads started on their tanks. Start one and I can add you! I'm telling you now but you will take heat for the blue tang and the foxface.

Fair enough...

Hello,

Very new here and trying to make a decision on Red Sea 130 or 130D. Local RSM 130 used for sale but I know RSM 130D supposedly has all these upgrades? Sorry if wrong forum to post this. Considered beginners forum and could take it there if it's a problem.

TIA

:welcome:

What is the price difference between the two? I am surprised you can still find a 130 unless it is used, or silver

Edited by StevieT

Get the 130. The 130D did not have that many great updates. Everyone still removes the skimmer and purchases the Tunze 9002

Save your money for upgrades/livestock

Get the 130. The 130D did not have that many great updates. Everyone still removes the skimmer and purchases the Tunze 9002

Save your money for upgrades/livestock

Brilliant! Now if they still have the tank . . . . ;)

• 2 months later...

well i just got my used 130 today and boy was it a mess. i got a lot of it cleaned up. just need to take a shop vac to the bottom of it and clean all the little removeable parts and pumps up. i can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting the research to upgrade my tank. The RSM130D is on my shortlist. I've researched it extensively online, however I'm hearing mixed things on what the stock lights are sufficient for. I noticed a lot of people saying the stock lights are pretty good, but then suddenly they've upgraded (I've gone over 75% of your build threads).

I already have a clam and some SPS in my NC12DX (modified to MH plus led). If I should I choose the RSM130D, is a light upgrade just a given or would the "t5 pc" work for a while? I realize that the clam would need to sit on a pedestal of some sort.

I'll not turn it into a 'this tank vs that tank' thread- but my total budget for the tank and accessory hardway will be right around $1000. So if I need to bump up the skimmer, and add a couple k2s or a vortech m20, and lights- it may get a little close to breaking the bank. Thanks for any input and y'all have some very pretty tanks.

thadscottmoore

I believe the RSM130 is well suited in a stock form- of course there is always room for improvements as with anything. I have the nanocustoms Expert Series™ 1.150h HQI for RedSea MAX 34 (150w HQI + 2x18w PC), and custom ATO including a Kalk reactor, as well as the sapphire aquatics protein skimmer prototype built for the RSM130D. Next step is lifereef overflow with custom sump including refugium. Currently working on getting a neptune apex contoller.

I think for the time being that the stock setup will be sufficient for your needs. leaving time for gradual improvements over time.

I'm starting the research to upgrade my tank. The RSM130D is on my shortlist. I've researched it extensively online, however I'm hearing mixed things on what the stock lights are sufficient for. I noticed a lot of people saying the stock lights are pretty good, but then suddenly they've upgraded (I've gone over 75% of your build threads).

I already have a clam and some SPS in my NC12DX (modified to MH plus led). If I should I choose the RSM130D, is a light upgrade just a given or would the "t5 pc" work for a while? I realize that the clam would need to sit on a pedestal of some sort.

I'll not turn it into a 'this tank vs that tank' thread- but my total budget for the tank and accessory hardway will be right around $1000. So if I need to bump up the skimmer, and add a couple k2s or a vortech m20, and lights- it may get a little close to breaking the bank. Thanks for any input and y'all have some very pretty tanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey!

I am looking into building a sump for my red sea max 130.

It will be a custom fit inside there and I was wondering how big some of you guys that have already done this made the intake, retur and the fuge area. I am so unsure about this and have never done it before.

I will be using the lifereef overflow, I have the tunze 9002 skimmer I want down there and a Kent PhosPhate reactor I also want in there. Offcourse the returs area needs to be correct also. Would it be room for a fuge ?

If someone have a sketch with some measures it would be great :) Picture also :)

6mm on the sides and 10mm bottom is ok ?

Edited by JanHelge