ReefCleaners.org

Calvin415's LED lit 12 footer

calvin415

Thanks Gerber. :D

Hey Dave, yeah everything is doing great once again. Took a little while to get through the ich and algea battle, but I'm thrilled with how the tank is doing once again! Now I just need some time to get to work on the new canopy and a couple upgrades. With Christmas sneaking up on me, I hope I can find some moolah. ;)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

how many weeks/months apart were the photos taken, thats some awesome growth and coloration!

Almost 5 months. I had red bugs for 3 of those, so the SPS growth on some of those was slowed. As soon as the red bugs were killed, they have exploded with growth! I'm debating on target feeding... I haven't target fed anything, they just get light and poop, so I'm not sure if it's needed. ;)

I think it's time for a video update :D .

I agree Glenn! I'll see what I can put together in the next week. ;)

Excellent growth!

Thanks!

Great pics! I like those acropora before/afters. Have fun with the Randall's shrimp goby; they like to raise and lower their dorsal fins like a signal.

Great pics! I like those acropora before/afters. Have fun with the Randall's shrimp goby; they like to raise and lower their dorsal fins like a signal.

Thanks! Yeah, he's a cute little guy! :D

that growth is awesome, love this tank and everything about it, if you have time can we get a FTS?

Thanks! Yeah, I'll get some FTS's as soon as I have the new canopy going. I'm hoping to get the lumber purchased this weekend.

:bowdown:

LOL! Thanks!

My first post on this forum... what to say besides job well done. I'll be hitting you up soon for some frags.

CJI

Welcome to N-R! Thanks!

always amazing calvin....

Thanks bro! I appreciate it!

Well bad news... :( Still no new canopy, so no new pics...

The reason? I spent the canopy budget on new fish. ;)

Today I added 2 Hippo Tangs, 1 Clown Tang, and 1 Copperbanded Butterfly, and ordered 1 Helfrichi Firefish, 1 Yasha, 1 Blonde Naso, along with a few other small gobies... Order ETA is Friday. :D

Almost 5 months. I had red bugs for 3 of those, so the SPS growth on some of those was slowed. As soon as the red bugs were killed, they have exploded with growth! I'm debating on target feeding... I haven't target fed anything, they just get light and poop, so I'm not sure if it's needed. ;)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Well bad news... :( Still no new canopy, so no new pics...

The reason? I spent the canopy budget on new fish. ;)

Today I added 2 Hippo Tangs, 1 Clown Tang, and 1 Copperbanded Butterfly, and ordered 1 Helfrichi Firefish, 1 Yasha, 1 Blonde Naso, along with a few other small gobies... Order ETA is Friday. :D

Now those are some awesome additions!!! :)

I should say that it was really irresponsible of you to spend the money elsewhere ... but those fish rock!

Edited by DCG1286
  • 1 month later...

Forgive me for reviving this thread. Maybe I shouldn't have, but I was just in awe of your work and wondering if you'd provide an updated video/pictures. For a long time I've wanted to set up a reef tank. Before I signed up for this forum and began reading posts, I'd have never guessed how complicated this all is. I have F.W. tanks and they are unbelievably simple compared to this. Every time I'd read one of your posts completely amazed, I'd look at your avatar picture, and your sons face made complete scene to me. =)

I must have spent 3 or 4 hours reading over this when i was supposed to be writing a paper for school and it was worth every minute. Thank you for documenting this amazing build for us all to enjoy (especially a SW newbie like myself.)!

Thanks!

--Mike

Sorry guys, been way too busy with my lastest venture to do anything other than maintenance on the tank. :( poidog, I have no idea what that coral is... I picked it out, not knowing what it is, I even asked the guy I got it from and he didn't know what it is. For now, I'm going to call it my Incredible Hulk. ;) If anyone has an actual name for it, let me know. :D

corallineadam

hey man! just wanted to let u know that the frags you sent me are doing great! most of them are super duper encrusted to their base already! :D

thanks man i love em :wub:

Sorry guys, been way too busy with my lastest venture to do anything other than maintenance on the tank. :( poidog, I have no idea what that coral is... I picked it out, not knowing what it is, I even asked the guy I got it from and he didn't know what it is. For now, I'm going to call it my Incredible Hulk. ;) If anyone has an actual name for it, let me know. :D

I want a frag when it's ready!

also, what lens are you using on your pics?

hey man! just wanted to let u know that the frags you sent me are doing great! most of them are super duper encrusted to their base already! :D

thanks man i love em :wub:

Excellent! Glad to hear it!

I want a frag when it's ready!

also, what lens are you using on your pics?

Going to be a while, it's still pretty small. I'm using a Nikon Coolpix 8800 on the macro setting, only has 1 lense.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Calvin,

I must say your build is utterly amazing. I came across this thread about 2 months ago and read up to page 30 something. Since then I forgot about it so it took me a long time to catch up, around 3 hours, during which my cat was sick, then my dog ate the sick and then sicked all the sick back up! A very interesting albeit gross 3 hours I must say.

Its been a very good read and very interesting to say the least. I've been following this from across the pond in the UK. I'm thinking of employing you to make me a build, this one though perhaps 12'1"? :P

• 1 month later...