• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

TheUnfocusedOne

do you ever sleep?

the hell do you get the money for something like that....

i dont even know what to say, this is the most amazing thing ive ever seen

hey calvin, im moving out soon and im looking to build an awesome tank, but not as big as yours, you should help me design it and that will ease your mind off the next tank you want to build for urself :) hah... but yea man mucho props for the great tank cant wait to see it bursting at the seams with coral

I disagree, I think he's training for the next summer Olympics by swimming laps in the 12 footer.

He threw all the powerheads on one end to train for the 100m freestyle. :lol:

Amazing tank man, I really like your rock work. I think its going to look fantastic in a year or two. Are you going to be adding a hood anytime soon?

Sorry everyone, I have been so busy with everything going on right now... I have not done much with the tank all summer, other than a battle which had some losses. :(

Quick summary:

In an attempt to fatten up by Bangaii's for breeding I was overfeeding... Bad idea, as this resulted in a bad algea outbreak, if that wasn't bad enough my PB tang over night got covered in Ich, and the stupid cleaner shrimp would only clean the yellow. :( Thus, I lost my PB tang, and ended up losing all my Bangaii fry, Bangaii adults (all 4) my Midas Blenny, Perc Clown, and Dragon Goby. And to make matter worse the center section of lights went out on me about 6 weeks ago (I fixed this last week). So for the most of summer 1/3 of my tank was in the dark and the rest was covered in algea... After doing weekly water changes and heavy skimming with no change, I decided to try something new. SUGAR! I started dosing sugar to battle the algea outbreak (this is a carbon source that feeds bacteria allowing phosphate and nitrate consuption to be increased) and after about 3 weeks of doing this, the tank looks great, the water is crystal clear and I can clearly see from end to end (thats almost 12' of perfect clarity!!!) My Acans and Micros are really starting to spread! The remaining fish, Leopard Wrasse, Yellow Tang, Lawnmower Blenny, Firefish and Chromis are doing great, and I hope to pull the cleaner shrimp some time soon, so I can treat for red bugs (I knew some of the pieces I picked up had them)... Once that is done, my goal is to finish my garage overhaul so I can then build a new canopy for the tank.

Thanks for your patience, and support! I'll try to get some new pics as soon as I do a little coraline clean up.

Edited by calvin415
Sorry about the recent struggles and losses. :(

Good to hear you have turned the corner though!

Looking forward to those pics :)

Very well said Richie!

Thanks for stoppin' by Calv... -_-

hey cal!!! long time no talk!! great videos!! but im sorry bout the mishap! dont worry god has blessed u with the ultimate reef tank powers. so everything will be fine, and better than before!!!

Sorry about the problems, especially the Banggais since breeding that species is important. Good luck with the red bugs! I'm currently treating my acroporas for them.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to hear about the problems, can't wait to see the pics. I'm sure your tank on a bad day is miles better than mine on a good day. Could you maybe divulge where you learned the sugar method? Could be handy for some of us. Thanx

Just wondered into the big tanks section and read your summary and watched all the vids... This is the most beautiful, amazing, and creative tank I have ever seen. Congrats and good luck !

I'm sure you could pay it off by having NR members take a tour... I would pay 20 bucks just to see it in person !

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry everyone, I have been so busy with everything going on right now... I have not done much with the tank all summer, other than a battle which had some losses. :(

Quick summary:

In an attempt to fatten up by Bangaii's for breeding I was overfeeding... Bad idea, as this resulted in a bad algea outbreak, if that wasn't bad enough my PB tang over night got covered in Ich, and the stupid cleaner shrimp would only clean the yellow. :( Thus, I lost my PB tang, and ended up losing all my Bangaii fry, Bangaii adults (all 4) my Midas Blenny, Perc Clown, and Dragon Goby. And to make matter worse the center section of lights went out on me about 6 weeks ago (I fixed this last week). So for the most of summer 1/3 of my tank was in the dark and the rest was covered in algea... After doing weekly water changes and heavy skimming with no change, I decided to try something new. SUGAR! I started dosing sugar to battle the algea outbreak (this is a carbon source that feeds bacteria allowing phosphate and nitrate consuption to be increased) and after about 3 weeks of doing this, the tank looks great, the water is crystal clear and I can clearly see from end to end (thats almost 12' of perfect clarity!!!) My Acans and Micros are really starting to spread! The remaining fish, Leopard Wrasse, Yellow Tang, Lawnmower Blenny, Firefish and Chromis are doing great, and I hope to pull the cleaner shrimp some time soon, so I can treat for red bugs (I knew some of the pieces I picked up had them)... Once that is done, my goal is to finish my garage overhaul so I can then build a new canopy for the tank.

Thanks for your patience, and support! I'll try to get some new pics as soon as I do a little coraline clean up.

+1 on sugar dosing bro! I'm doing that right now. Into my 3rd day of sugar dosing (: anyway post us some before and after pics eh! (: also, do you dose extra good bacteria when dosing sugar? like mb7 bottle etc? let me know (:

Anyway,

I am sorry about your loss. don't take it too hard alright, just remember to come back to us with a bang!

I am of one looking forward to your BIG BANG! :D

Cheers!

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, and sorry for the lack of pics... I don't think I've taken any pics of the tank since the ones posted so I don't have any before and after. :( I've been working on my garage for the last couple months, just about done... And remodeling 3 bathrooms for a friend of mine.

I'm hoping to sell off some Bam-Bams to cover some new additions, if anyone is interested check out the sale thread.

Edited by calvin415
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, sorry for all the lack of updates, here are a few, I'll post more when I'm done with some upgrades on the tank.

Before

DSCN4965.jpg

After

DSCN5276.jpg

Before

DSCN4966.jpg

After

DSCN5267.jpg

Before

DSCN4968.jpg

After

DSCN5278.jpg

Before

DSCN4976.jpg

After

DSCN5268.jpg

Before

DSCN5014.jpg

After

DSCN5289.jpg

I forgot about this guy... He's easy to forget about since he's only about 3/4" long. :D

DSCN5279.jpg

A few more...

DSCN5272.jpg

DSCN5282.jpg

DSCN5286.jpg

DSCN5287.jpg

DSCN5288.jpg

DSCN5290.jpg

DSCN5293.jpg

DSCN5298.jpg