inTank Media Baskets

Calvin415's LED lit 12 footer

calvin415

As long as it's small... :D What do you want built?

Define small.......I really want a custom 70-90 shallow reef. I have the stand built. 4.5feet long, over 2 feet deep, could be a decent sized shallow boy for SPS/LPS/clams, maybe even shallow enough for 150w MH. What d'ya say??? ;)

That'd be a ##### to ship. You may have to drive it up.... :D

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

Define small.......I really want a custom 70-90 shallow reef. I have the stand built. 4.5feet long, over 2 feet deep, could be a decent sized shallow boy for SPS/LPS/clams, maybe even shallow enough for 150w MH. What d'ya say??? ;)

That'd be a ##### to ship. You may have to drive it up.... :D

Yeah, I was thinking nano size (under 29 gallons). :( Shipping would really suck on something that large.

Update time...

I took the day off from work today to finish the detail work in the basement, I think it's all done now... I also took the time to polish the tank, clean it up as well as water test the sumps (so far so good, they are sitting out side full of water).

Oh, and I took some pics for everyone.

Please give me your thoughts on the trim? It matches the rest of the basement to help keep it consistent, but I'll be going to HD soon to find some longer pieces... For reference, the piece of trim in the pics is 10'.

DSCN4450.jpg

DSCN4451.jpg

DSCN4456.jpg

DSCN4457.jpg

DSCN4459.jpg

DSCN4462.jpg

DSCN4465.jpg

DSCN4466.jpg

i love this tank man.

i think that trim is great! however what are you gonna do for the lighting? just hanging lighting right?

it wuuda been cool if u extended one of the lips to make like a bar table kinda thing though.

maybe you should go with a lip that is gonna match the light color?

i love this tank man.

i think that trim is great! however what are you gonna do for the lighting? just hanging lighting right?

it wuuda been cool if u extended one of the lips to make like a bar table kinda thing though.

a bar table tank would seriously rock!!, i dunno if it would fit but the smooth edges would look mmmmmmm:D

the trim looks a little outta place becuase it's not a normal right agale transition, but I think it still looks good (and you gotta do something to hide you leveling materials right)

Your tank unfilled win billy badazz tank of the year award, I can't wait to see it thriving

Looks perfect!!! Keep it up! Just hurry it up! ;)

I love the trim, and although a bar top tank woulda been killer, this set-up is perfect as is. Now add water, salt of your choice, and let the cycling begin!

i love this tank man.

Here's the plan for the light, not positive on the color, but I'm leaning towards black.

th_Canopy3.jpg

a bar table tank would seriously rock!!, i dunno if it would fit but the smooth edges would look mmmmmmm:D

It would, but not enough room. I'll have doors on the other side and this side will have a couch against it. :(

the trim looks a little outta place becuase it's not a normal right agale transition, but I think it still looks good (and you gotta do something to hide you leveling materials right)

Your tank unfilled win billy badazz tank of the year award, I can't wait to see it thriving

LOL! Thanks!

Looks perfect!!! Keep it up! Just hurry it up! ;)

I love the trim, and although a bar top tank woulda been killer, this set-up is perfect as is. Now add water, salt of your choice, and let the cycling begin!

I know, I know, just waiting on funds... My wife snagged the money I got from the frags and sent it to the hitman Amex sent so I'm once again broke. :( I'm still working on getting the cabinet doors installed, and will hook up the sump so I can fill it soon... With Christmas, two birthdays and a new baby all in the next 4 months, I'm not sure what I'm going to be able to afford. :( I will get it done as soon as I can, but please be patient with me. :D

J/K about the hitman, but the money did go to Amex...

its looking great. have you gotten any work done on the lights?

Just waiting on funds for wire and fiberglass...

that stinks about the funds. don't worry most of us have the same problem.

inculding myself.(want to get some t5 actinics)

tell your wife this is the christmas present for everyone in the family... a frag for you and you and you :lol:

that would probably solve your fundage problem :lol:

It would, but not enough room. I'll have doors on the other side and this side will have a couch against it. :(

i actually never thought of a bar top tank, if i ever get rich enough and setup a 20 000 gallon, it will have a recession just before the tank so you can sit and the substrate would be 2 feet below eye level, that would rock

now fill the damn thing, im really interested to see what it will look like!!!:D

kermitthedaniel

wow man get off his back, hes done an amazing job so far probably because he isnt rushing everything. i think that the trim there looks a little odd to, can you just get a round bead or something and paint it white for its place. are you going BB with this tank or are you having sand? if your having sand how are you going to keep the sand out of those drains for the CL??

Edited by kermitthedaniel

That set up really looks nice! I think the trim looks fine. But then, I'm just a girl. What do I know? Any way you look at it, I think so many people will be looking at the tank, no one will even notice the trim to have an opinion one way or the other. You still get the

SPONGE BOB THUMB'S UP AWARD!

200703130248.jpg

I think you should make the trim at the base match the color of the light fixture above the tank so that it will appear visually balanced.

If you go black on the lighting above the tank, then I would go black on the trim below the tank. That way the trim and lighting will not draw attention to themselves and almost disappear in contrast to the pretty things this tank is going to be filled with.

I would also consider going with white trim below and painting the lighting fixture above white as well. You have so many nice white architectual details in your basement (e.g. the mouldings, etc.) that the white accents at the base of and above your tank would make the whole aquarium match its surroundings much better and look as though it was designed that way from the beginning, instead of placed there at a later time.

Whatever you decide, I think your light fixture's color should match the molding at the base, but thats just my 2¢. Not matter what, I'm sure it will look wonderful when you're done. :lol:

That set up really looks nice! I think the trim looks fine. But then, I'm just a girl. What do I know? Any way you look at it, I think so many people will be looking at the tank, no one will even notice the trim to have an opinion one way or the other. You still get the

200703130248.jpg

I agree 100% (except the girl part :lol: ) This is amazing! Just read through the entire thread. Great work!!!

that stinks about the funds. don't worry most of us have the same problem.

inculding myself.(want to get some t5 actinics)

tell your wife this is the christmas present for everyone in the family... a frag for you and you and you :lol:

that would probably solve your fundage problem :lol:

I told my wife that, she laughed... Then reminded me that we still have to buy a new tree this year (we threw out the old one last year), might be a tree less Christmas this year, but hey we'll have water in the tank. LOL!

i actually never thought of a bar top tank, if i ever get rich enough and setup a 20 000 gallon, it will have a recession just before the tank so you can sit and the substrate would be 2 feet below eye level, that would rock

now fill the damn thing, im really interested to see what it will look like!!!:D

Workin on it...

wow man get off his back, hes done an amazing job so far probably because he isnt rushing everything. i think that the trim there looks a little odd to, can you just get a round bead or something and paint it white for its place. are you going BB with this tank or are you having sand? if your having sand how are you going to keep the sand out of those drains for the CL??

LOL! Issue is the trim has to cover such a tall area from all the layers. Round bead would have to be 2" and don't think that would look good. :( I will be going with sand, the CL intakes will be connected to a piece of PVC that will be drilled with lots of holes (above sand level).

200703130248.jpg

LOL!!!! As a girl you should know taste, the trim was my wifes idea. ;) Thanks for the Sponge Bob Award. :D

I think you should make the trim at the base match the color of the light fixture above the tank so that it will appear visually balanced.

If you go black on the lighting above the tank, then I would go black on the trim below the tank. That way the trim and lighting will not draw attention to themselves and almost disappear in contrast to the pretty things this tank is going to be filled with.

I would also consider going with white trim below and painting the lighting fixture above white as well. You have so many nice white architectual details in your basement (e.g. the mouldings, etc.) that the white accents at the base of and above your tank would make the whole aquarium match its surroundings much better and look as though it was designed that way from the beginning, instead of placed there at a later time.

Whatever you decide, I think your light fixture's color should match the molding at the base, but thats just my 2¢. Not matter what, I'm sure it will look wonderful when you're done. :lol:

I'll see what I can do... The trim will be white, but the canopy color is still up in the air. I agree with with the idea, but not sure how well I like the thought of a white canopy.

I agree 100% (except the girl part :lol: ) This is amazing! Just read through the entire thread. Great work!!!

LOL! Thanks for taking the time. :D

Well I decided to take some money back from Amex as I went to Home Depot and picked up styro for under the sumps, and the trim. I also was able to finish the router work on the sumps, polished , drilled and uniseals installed. If you didn't see before, the openings to the stand are only 36" wide so I have to build 2 sumps (36 Long each) and then plumb them together. I still need to drill for the bulkhead to connect the return pump, but I'll have to figure out where I want that. I'll post more pics as soon as I get everything installed.

I told my wife that, she laughed... Then reminded me that we still have to buy a new tree this year (we threw out the old one last year), might be a tree less Christmas this year, but hey we'll have water in the tank. LOL!

LOL

Today was a sick day, I woke up this morning about 2am with a headache and didn't get back to sleep. :( Called in sick with work and tried to sleep today...

I did make a little progress tonight:

Installed the trim around the tank, put a bead of silicone on the back side of the trim to try to keep any water from getting under the tank.

DSCN4472.jpg

I installed styrofoam on top of the concrete followed by a shower plan liner (PVC Sheet) to catch any drips or leaks. Then put in the sumps:

DSCN4470.jpg

I sprayed foam all over the electrical box the building inspector made me install to keep any salt out of it (nothing getting through that), and drilled the sump for the return pump. I started on the return plumbing, but still have to wait on a bulkhead to drill the end of the tank and the end of the stand.

DSCN4469.jpg

Let's see... I also finished the frame for the cabinet doors to mount to. My wife finished painting the doors this morning and I have the hardware installed, just have to paint the frame and then install it. Sorry no pics of this, but I will once it's installed this week.

I still need to locate a lock for the doors to keep the little ones out, but I haven't looked at all yet.

DSCN4467.jpg

I also went ahead a just bought a spool of 14ga wire from Lowes instead of spending more for 18ga. A friend said he uses it on all his T5's so as long as I can get it in the endcap, I'll give it a shot (also rated at 600v).

Today was a sick day, I woke up this morning about 2am with a headache and didn't get back to sleep. :( Called in sick with work and tried to sleep today...

I did make a little progress tonight:

Installed the trim around the tank, put a bead of silicone on the back side of the trim to try to keep any water from getting under the tank.

DSCN4472.jpg

I installed styrofoam on top of the concrete followed by a shower plan liner (PVC Sheet) to catch any drips or leaks. Then put in the sumps:

DSCN4470.jpg

I sprayed foam all over the electrical box the building inspector made me install to keep any salt out of it (nothing getting through that), and drilled the sump for the return pump. I started on the return plumbing, but still have to wait on a bulkhead to drill the end of the tank and the end of the stand.

DSCN4469.jpg

Let's see... I also finished the frame for the cabinet doors to mount to. My wife finished painting the doors this morning and I have the hardware installed, just have to paint the frame and then install it. Sorry no pics of this, but I will once it's installed this week.

I still need to locate a lock for the doors to keep the little ones out, but I haven't looked at all yet.

DSCN4467.jpg

I also went ahead a just bought a spool of 14ga wire from Lowes instead of spending more for 18ga. A friend said he uses it on all his T5's so as long as I can get it in the endcap, I'll give it a shot (also rated at 600v).

whats the stocking list like, btw? any ideas yet?