• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

LOL! Thanks guys, I have enough work right now to keep me busy for a little while... Next expense will be to build the pendant. I have a ton of ideas in my head, but trying to figure out the best way to build it... If anyone has built a pendant and has pics of the build process please shoot me some links, I'm curious what worked and didn't work for you.

Thanks!

I went fairly cheap with my retro kit and just bought a thin board of wood (48"x2½"x3/4"), but it works fine and would only need a hanging kit to become an actual pendant. I cut the board lengthwise at the 12" and 24" mark, forming two 1 foot segments ("a") and one 2 foot segments ("b"). Then, I formed this simple setup with the T5 endcaps ("c") on the two ends:

Image3.jpg

I can't strees the importance of giving yourself a touch of wiggle room (slightly longer than the distance from endcap-to-endcap) per lamp and MAKE A TEMPLATE. I tried to just measure it all out, and it worked terribly the first time, and I only had 4 lamps to mount.

+1 to holdorf. The reflectors are usually the widest parts, so don't assume that the endcaps can be placed next to each other. It may help if you assemble two bulb+endcaps+reflector setups to physically see how much space you'll need. Also, don't forget to plan your wiring before screwing in the endcaps.

a pendent may be really cool and look sweet but i have one concern.

if people are in either room next to the tank trying to watch tv or something will the light shine in their eyes?

you should think about testing out one of the lights and sit in a chair or something next to the tank to see if it bothers you. if not, great. but it would be better to find out now rather then when your finished

Update time:

Closed Loop is water tested!!!

th_DSCN4437.jpg

I'm impressed and suprised I don't have any plumbing leaks (yet)! I hope to drill the sumps soon and get the open loop tested as well but I have some small patch job that will require the tank to be drained first. The overflow has a tiny leak at bottom which if left as is will allow the entire tank to drain into the sump and onto the floor in the event of a long term power outage. :( I have my 42 gun loaned out right now, but will have it back by Saturday if I can get all the water out by then. ;)

For those who didn't already see this on that other site, here is what will be in the works before too long...

th_Canopy3.jpg

Edited by calvin415

Looks great Calvin.........if you need a suggestion for your T5 bulb combo just ask , I have the perfect four bulb combo to give the look of a 14k Phonix MH , unless thats too blue for you . John

Edited by Sea Slug

IMO this is by far the most interesting thread running. This thing is going to be outstanding once it's complete. It's looking amazing so far, you've got your work cut out for you though. You're going to have to really step up to the plate in the livestock department to keep up the standards of such an awesome tank.

I'll be watching with much anticipation.

Looks great Calvin.........if you need a suggestion for your T5 bulb combo just ask , I have the perfect four bulb combo to give the look of a 14k Phonix MH , unless thats too blue for you . John

Thanks! Sure, if you want to post it, I already have a bunch of bulbs from the setups I bought, but will be looking to replace bulbs as I see fit. I planned on using Giesemann's down the road.

Nice closed loop system.

Thanks!

IMO this is by far the most interesting thread running. This thing is going to be outstanding once it's complete. It's looking amazing so far, you've got your work cut out for you though. You're going to have to really step up to the plate in the livestock department to keep up the standards of such an awesome tank.

I'll be watching with much anticipation.

Thanks bud! Funds continue to remain tight, especially with Christmas approaching with 2 boys and a 3rd due in March, but I will do the best I can.

Here is the line up I use to get the same color tone as my 14k Phoenix MH's .

FRONT

ATI-Aqua Blue Special

ATI-Blue Plus

UVL-Aquasun

ATI-Blue Plus

BACK

glennr1978 pm'ed me about this bulb setup , so hopefully he will post his thoughts on it.

FRONT

ATI-Aqua Blue Special

ATI-Blue Plus

UVL-Aquasun

ATI-Blue Plus

BACK

glennr1978 pm'ed me about this bulb setup , so hopefully he will post his thoughts on it.

I will, but it will be a little while. I haven't even added water to the tank yet, and have yet to recieve the light fixture (should've been here yesterday though...).

Wow....this just keeps getting better.

Forget frags, next time i'm buying a tank from you!! :D

No kidding!!! I'm sure Calvin could bust out a few custom tanks for people and use the money earned to fund the remainder of this build.

needs moar water!

seriously, awesome work calvin :)

LOL! Yeah I know, more water coming. :D Thanks!

FRONT

ATI-Aqua Blue Special

ATI-Blue Plus

UVL-Aquasun

ATI-Blue Plus

BACK

Cool, Thanks!

Wow....this just keeps getting better.

Forget frags, next time i'm buying a tank from you!! :D

Thanks! I wish I had time to build anything right now...

I will, but it will be a little while. I haven't even added water to the tank yet, and have yet to recieve the light fixture (should've been here yesterday though...).

No kidding!!! I'm sure Calvin could bust out a few custom tanks for people and use the money earned to fund the remainder of this build.

Maybe if it was small and worth it ($) I'd do some...

LOL! Yeah I know, more water coming. :D Thanks!

Cool, Thanks!

Thanks! I wish I had time to build anything right now...

Maybe if it was small and worth it ($) I'd do some...

I really think you would get a few takers if you decided to go through with building a couple of tanks. Your work speaks for itself. All a potential buyer would need to do is skim through this thread if they had any doubts what so ever.

I really think you would get a few takers if you decided to go through with building a couple of tanks. Your work speaks for itself. All a potential buyer would need to do is skim through this thread if they had any doubts what so ever.

I'd be your first customer

Calvin, you are truly talented at building tanks and remodeling (I bet ya get tired of hearing this huh? :P ). I have followed this thread closely and recently saw your 10g super-long build, along with the tank you did at your parent's house, and numerous others I'm sure. I'm just in awe, absolutely amazing man. You have inspired me to build my own tank. I'm sure it won't be perfect by far, but its a start. I'll be starting sometime after New Year's when we move into our house (congratulations to me :D). I apologize in advance for the many PM's I will be sending you regarding the building of my tank when the project gets started :)

Calvin, you are truly talented at building tanks and remodeling (I bet ya get tired of hearing this huh? :P ). I have followed this thread closely and recently saw your 10g super-long build, along with the tank you did at your parent's house, and numerous others I'm sure. I'm just in awe, absolutely amazing man. You have inspired me to build my own tank. I'm sure it won't be perfect by far, but its a start. I'll be starting sometime after New Year's when we move into our house (congratulations to me :D). I apologize in advance for the many PM's I will be sending you regarding the building of my tank when the project gets started :)

LOL! Thanks. :D Ask away, I get a lot of PM for suggestions so please don't be afraid to ask. Best advise I can give you is to practice your welds, don't go cheap on materials, get the right tools for the job and be patient. The first tank I built, I tried to do it all in an hour; need less to say it looked terrible and couldn't hold water to save my life. Second and Third ones weren't much better, they held water but one eventually let go and spilled all over my computer desk (only 2.5 gallons luckily)... I was about to give up when I discovered the pin method, my next tank turn out perfect and I haven't looked back since. :D