Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Calvin415's LED lit 12 footer

calvin415

Thanks guys, I'm got the first coat of primer on the stand doors, RO/DI mounted, all 12 bulkheads installed and closed loop pump (Dart) mounted in the stand. Just have to get the plumbing pieces tomorrow and I'll get to work on plumbing the CL and then I can put some water in it to test the CL flow... It's pretty cold here today so I didn't get to work on the sump at all, hope to get the pieces cut tomorrow for it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

1/2" OSB on bottom, 1/2" drywall, spray foam to level the tank, 3/4" oak ply, 1/2" foam, 1/2" acrylic. Again, each hole took a while...

CIMG1332.jpg

Good lord, you weren't kidding!

Nope, no kidding. :D

Well I'm 99% done with the closed loop, just have to get some 1" tubing to connect it all...

I thought I cut these holes large enough to tighten the bulkheads but my channel locks aren't long enough to reach up to tighten them. :( I ended up lifting the entire tank 1" to slide some locks under the tank to tighten the bulkhead nut... :rolleyes: Oh well.

Tomorrow is supposed to be nice and I hope to get some outdoor time to finish working on my cabinet doors, and sump work. The catch is we have our 18wk ultrasound appointment in the morning (hopefully we'll know the sex of our next child tomorrow) and I'm sure we'll end up on the phone with family for a lot of the day. :(

Updated pics tomorrow... sorry.

Well here's my update:

It's a boy! Wow, that makes 3... We were hoping for a girl, so I guess this leaves us with a house of manhood and chaos. :D

Here's the progress I've made on the tank... Sump pieces are all cut, 1 sump is assembled (just have to attach the bottom) and the second one is almost completely assembled, should have it done tonight. 3 of the 6 doors have been painted and just need a final sanding, the other 3 have been primed and should be painted tomorrow.

Here's some sump shots:

CIMG1339.jpg

CIMG1340.jpg

CIMG1341.jpg

CIMG1342.jpg

The T's will have a strainer on each end (5 T's 10 strainers) and 4 returns which will be split into 2 loclines (8 heads total).

CIMG1344.jpg

Here's the Dart plumbed up:

CIMG1345.jpg

and the feed pipes, the bottom one is the drain line (2") w/ 5 1" bushings and nips, the upper one is the return line (1.5") w/ 4 1" bushins and nips.

CIMG1347.jpg

Here' my dilemma today, I think I'm going to have to buy lots more tubing and connect them to nips further away to keep the kinks out of the hose. :(

CIMG1349.jpg

And for a test fit, here the skimmer in the first sump under the tank, zone 1 will be for skimming, zone 2 will be for acclimating new fish or to seperate existing fish... This will connect to Sump 2 with a 2" pipe with strainer to keep fish from swimming through to zone 3 which will be fuge, and finally zone 4 which will be for return and ATO float valve.

CIMG1350.jpg

Well here's my update:

It's a boy! Wow, that makes 3... We were hoping for a girl, so I guess this leaves us with a house of manhood and chaos. :D

Congrats!!!

Here' my dilemma today, I think I'm going to have to buy lots more tubing and connect them to nips further away to keep the kinks out of the hose. :(

What if you didnt use braided hose? Non-braided is much more flexible!

What if you didnt use braided hose? Non-braided is much more flexible!

I used the braided, hoping it would help keep it from kinking... I've used the standard vinyl tubing and I find it kinks even worse. :( I think I either need a softer material (like a silicone based tube), or I have to use more of it to keep it straight... I just can't find a softer material in 1" ID.

Edited by calvin415

Been looking into it, but it doesn't bend as tight... I think I'm just going to have to buy lots of tubing and run the connections to nips further away to keep the bends to a minimum. :( Kind of sucks at almost $2/ft.

Boths sumps are basically done, just some polishing to finish, I also built a new Ca Reactor for the 225 at my folks... I don't think it's as pretty as the last version, but I think this one will be easier to use.

CIMG1351.jpg

CIMG1355.jpg

CIMG1354.jpg

Aluminum screws to prevent any corrosion but allow for maximum torquing.

CIMG1353.jpg

wow, everything looks great cal. this tank is truly an inspiration. i really like the idea of a pygmy angel trio or a school of gobies. can't wait to see the progress.

congrats on the next little calvin. :D

:lol::blush: The first picture of that reactor made me think the countertop was actually the floor. I thought it was an enormous reactor as high as the microwave!
:lol::blush: The first picture of that reactor made me think the countertop was actually the floor. I thought it was an enormous reactor as high as the microwave!

LOL me too!! I was like wtf?!? :lol:

wow, everything looks great cal. this tank is truly an inspiration. i really like the idea of a pygmy angel trio or a school of gobies. can't wait to see the progress.

congrats on the next little calvin. :D

Thanks Travis! :D

LOL! I got the same reaction on that other site. That was totally an accident! I didn't even try to get the counter to line up with the floor! :D

LOL me too!! I was like wtf?!? :lol:

LOL! A reactor that large would be cool, but man if it was that large, I'd only need like a drip a minute to keep up with the demands of any tank!

Edited by calvin415
CIMG1351.jpg

LOL! I got the same reaction on that other site. That was totally an accident! I didn't even try to get the counter to line up with the floor! :D

Come on now.......you did that on purpose......admit it. ;)

Awesome Mega Reactor!