calvin415

Calvin415's LED lit 12 footer

calvin415
Excellent......I'll have to do the same with my basement stairs in the future .

It was more work than I expected, but I love the way it turned out...

CIMG1286.jpg

CIMG1291.jpg

CIMG1288.jpg

CIMG1287.jpg

how many gallons is it going to be?

Approx 132 gallons plus sump volume minus rock and sand space.

I have an idea... I remember a while back you were deciding on possibly a showpiece fish, and something just occurred to me: with all the LR you could fit in here, you might want to consider breeding mandarin dragonets... just an idea. Keep it up man

I thought about it, and I plan to get a pair of mandarins (once they are eating prepared foods in QT) but I think I'm going to try to get a pair of Potters and maybe a pair of Flame Angels to set off the tank. :D

angel7.jpg

nice tank. needs water ;)

Thanks... Trying to get there!

cant wait to see the final product.

Me too!

That would be something! B)

Would be cool, but don't want a species only tank...

GETTING CLOSER! Can't ya'll feel the tension!

I can't wait for W-Day!

I hope it's sooner than later... :D

Basement is finally finished! I will call for final inspection on Monday, all that's left is some paint touch ups and installing the doors on the cabinets, but everything is done for inspection. Now it's full speed for the tank!

lakshwadeep

Two dwarf angels would be beautiful, not to mention making the tank proportionally larger. Also, you could have a large group of schooling fish.

fewskillz

I like the dwarf angel pair, keep's the scale of the tank big. A large school of something active would also be very appealing to the eye. I have no doubt you'll make good stocking choices. Those stairs look great!

Oceanic 30g

I like how you did the stairs. (The natural wood and the white riser). You need to priorize and get some water in that tank!

Are you using nano size liverock or just breaking up bigger pieces.

spanko

I just finished reading this thread start to finish. You are truly a craftsman and your attention to detail is amazing. From the tank to the finished basement to the stairs and handrails I am in awe of your abilities. I am now going over to the other site to read the 225 tank build.

DCG1286
I like the dwarf angel pair, keep's the scale of the tank big. A large school of something active would also be very appealing to the eye. I have no doubt you'll make good stocking choices. Those stairs look great!

+1 Love the idea of a pair of angels! Large school of Anthias as well????? :D

-David

calvin415
Two dwarf angels would be beautiful, not to mention making the tank proportionally larger. Also, you could have a large group of schooling fish.

Not sure what fish stays small enough and still schools... At least ones that are colorful???

Thanks!

I like how you did the stairs. (The natural wood and the white riser). You need to priorize and get some water in that tank!

Are you using nano size liverock or just breaking up bigger pieces.

Easier said than done...

Isn't nano size LR just bigger pieces that have been broken up? :D I will be using rock that fits the space...

I just finished reading this thread start to finish. You are truly a craftsman and your attention to detail is amazing. From the tank to the finished basement to the stairs and handrails I am in awe of your abilities. I am now going over to the other site to read the 225 tank build.

Thanks! The 225 was quite the build, I don't have any pics when I was building the tank, just everything after.

+1 Love the idea of a pair of angels! Large school of Anthias as well????? :D

-David

Thanks, maybe some Anthias would be cool, at least while they are small. They too can be big. :(

Thanks everyone, I'm working on canopy ideas now, and trying to locate the last few pieces of equipment and trying to plan vacation the start of next month. Thanks for all the feedback and support, not trying to drag you along, but things can happen much faster when I have more money and not trying to do a million things at once. I'll keep you posted of the inspection on Monday.

lakshwadeep

Masked gobies school (see lalani's tank for great pics), and Trimma tevegae are also very colorful.

evilc66

That could be a monster school. Anthias or Chromis would be cool too.

Sea Slug

It was more work than I expected, but I love the way it turned out

Looks Great ........gotta be maken the wife happy ! Didn't even show my wife the stairs or she would be in my ear now :lol:

onefish2fish

oooooooooo.... ahhhhhhhhhh.... nice nano cube :D

Chaloupa

Very cool tank! Can't wait to see it with water and lights....LOVE the stairs..absolutely gorgeous!

got2envy

I just read this whhhhole thread! I love this tank and it doesn't even have any thing in it :eek:

moarrr pix!!

I am off to read the other thread before Monday Night Football omgomgomg

Falcon_Punch

Maybe a school of firefish or pajama cardinals? I like the potters angel.

nanoty

I NEED to see this tank running.........hurries!

travisurfer

Simply awesome. Time to get it wet!

Edited by travisurfer

Prowland

I dont know how much of a pain it would be but you could make a shelf that ran the length of the tank and have the base of the shelf be the hood for you light fixtures.

This would allow for pictures and stuff to be sat on top of the shelf.

You could do it like your stairs and have the top be natural wood and the sides painted white.

ddr_phish

Your doing an awesome job man, I love these picture updates!

Big_Bruddah77

YOUR TANK IS AWESOME I CANT WAIT TO SEE IT WHEN ITS DONE!!!! :)

lakshwadeep

Someone mentioned a group of firefish. While they may not be feasible (they are aggressive to conspecifics-maybe your tank could give enough space), I do think that a school of dartfish/gudgeons (genus Ptereleotris) would be really cool and a good intermediate between anthias and masked gobies. Most of the species, such as P. hanae, are really colorful.

calvin415
Masked gobies school (see lalani's tank for great pics), and Trimma tevegae are also very colorful.

Nice little fish, but certainly not an attention getter like some of the other species. Thanks for the idea though!

That could be a monster school. Anthias or Chromis would be cool too.

Anthias would be sweet, but would get big over time... Chromis are nice and bright and would look cool when they were small, but when they get larger, I find them to just be an eye sore, not because they are any less bright, but because they no longer look like little beams of light bouncing around.

It was more work than I expected, but I love the way it turned out

Looks Great ........gotta be maken the wife happy ! Didn't even show my wife the stairs or she would be in my ear now

LOL! Thanks!

oooooooooo.... ahhhhhhhhhh.... nice nano cube

Thanks!

Very cool tank! Can't wait to see it with water and lights....LOVE the stairs..absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you very much, I'm going as fast as I can at the moment.

I just read this whhhhole thread! I love this tank and it doesn't even have any thing in it

moarrr pix!!

I am off to read the other thread before Monday Night Football omgomgomg

I know, I know, I'll post more as soon as I have a better update.

Maybe a school of firefish or pajama cardinals? I like the potters angel.

School of FF would be sweet, but I've never been able to keep them from fighting, perhaps I just need a larger school! LOL! Don't really care for PJ Cards, but a bangaii pair are also in the running.

I NEED to see this tank running.........hurries!

LOL! Going as fast as I can ATM...

Simply awesome. Time to get it wet!

Thanks! Tell me about it, but first it's time to get it drilled.

calvin415

Well suddenly I'm getting errors when I try to quote more people, so here's replies to everyone else:

Prowland:

I dont know how much of a pain it would be but you could make a shelf that ran the length of the tank and have the base of the shelf be the hood for you light fixtures.

This would allow for pictures and stuff to be sat on top of the shelf.

You could do it like your stairs and have the top be natural wood and the sides painted white.

Not a bad idea, I'll have to play around with the look and see if I can get it to work!

ddr_phish:

Your doing an awesome job man, I love these picture updates!

Thanks, I'll try to get some more posted soon.

Big_Bruddah77

YOUR TANK IS AWESOME I CANT WAIT TO SEE IT WHEN ITS DONE!!!! :)

Thanks! Me Too!

lakshwadeep:

Someone mentioned a group of firefish. While they may not be feasible (they are aggressive to conspecifics-maybe your tank could give enough space), I do think that a school of dartfish/gudgeons (genus Ptereleotris) would be really cool and a good intermediate between anthias and masked gobies. Most of the species, such as P. hanae, are really colorful.

Yeah, I've had the same luck, perhaps with the length it might work now??? Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to look into them. :D

So I should have sign off on the basement very, very soon. Had a couple minor items to change on Final Inspection last week, I only have 1 more thing to do and I can have them re-inspect. I hope to have that done on Monday. Once that is finished, I will get the tank drilled, plumbing run and start working on building my own sumps and canopy.

Stay tuned for updates soon.

revaltion131

This thing is awesome! I love the idea of a Potter's and Flame angel. The tank seems long enough to be able to do multiple dwarves. What about a Midnight Angel as well? You could try a harem of leopard, fairy, or flasher wrasses as well. That could add some really interesting colors and movement to the tank.

We used to live at the Academy and now we visit friends at least once a year. I may have to drop by and see this thing. ;)

Edited by revaltion131

calvin415

Let me know when you're in town. ;)

Update:

Basement is officially done!!!! We got sign off today!!!! I'm on vacation next week (traveling) and the following week (chill at home) so hopefully I can get work done on the tank.

nanoty
Let me know when you're in town. ;)

Update:

Basement is officially done!!!! We got sign off today!!!! I'm on vacation next week (traveling) and the following week (chill at home) so hopefully I can get work done on the tank.

Nice dude. I can't wait to see this up and running. Dream nano.