Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Calvin415's LED lit 12 footer

calvin415

This tank is just perfect !!! WOW !!! It is hard to say how beautiful tank is ! This is not only what we can find IN, but how Calvin made everything... tank, sump, filter, RO/DI, lights, walls, just everything... Amazing work !

I'm jealous ! My dream tank...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

I can't decide if I like the new landscaping or the new light pendant the best! Awesome work on both. Great looking shed, too, I need one of those to get the gardening stuff out of the garage.

LOL! Thanks, I had to build the shed to get all my tools out of the garage so I could get my cars back in there. :)

ok...............i spent AWW DAY yesterday and today reading all 70 post..................(im at work doin this lol)

YOU ARE A UFFIN GOD!!!!!!!!! lol i wish to some day have the DIY skillz that you have sir!!!

i have literally not gone on any other website or forum since i saw/read your thread! its simply amazing.. this is the exact tank i imagine in my home in the future!!!! iv added this post to my favorits! lol

it WOULD be awsome to get a nice lil wave effect in their to get the lil sand ripple. it would also be sick to see a wave go all the way down and back up the tank!

i wanted to ask .....how thick is the acrylic you used on this beast??

also i cant watch any of your vids becuz i need a password......

also get an ACHILLES TANG!!!!!!! they look awsome!

Wow, not sure what else I can say other than thank you. :) I have tried a vortech in the past and was able to get a small wave going down the tank, but since fully scaping the tank, I was not able to get a wave before the sand started getting stirred up. Doing it over I would build a wavebox into the end of the tank, but alas, it's too late now. Acrylic is 1/2" thick on all sides, including top and bottom, it's overbuilt, but that's how I roll. ;)

I think I've made the folder public so those videos should work again. If there is one that doesn't let me know and I'll research it. BTW, tank is still too small for such an active fish IMO. :)

This tank is just perfect !!! WOW !!! It is hard to say how beautiful tank is ! This is not only what we can find IN, but how Calvin made everything... tank, sump, filter, RO/DI, lights, walls, just everything... Amazing work !

I'm jealous ! My dream tank...

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Edited by calvin415
LOL! Thanks, I had to build the shed to get all my tools out of the garage so I could get my cars back in there. :)
I understand. I have 1 car in my very full 2 car garage. The rest is work bench, garden tools, and my extra wheels and tires.

BTW, tank is still too small for such an active fish IMO. :)
I agree, that's a big round fish to go into a 15"x15" space, regardless of length. An adult dwarf angel, or even a genicanthus angel would be a better fit than a tang. That or an active shoal of chromis or anthias to not risk the reef safe aspect of things.

A wave box would've been cool. Damn you hindsight, and your 20/20 vision.

Wow, not sure what else I can say other than thank you. :) I have tried a vortech in the past and was able to get a small wave going down the tank, but since fully scaping the tank, I was not able to get a wave before the sand started getting stirred up. Doing it over I would build a wavebox into the end of the tank, but alas, it's too late now. Acrylic is 1/2" thick on all sides, including top and bottom, it's overbuilt, but that's how I roll. ;)

I think I've made the folder public so those videos should work again. If there is one that doesn't let me know and I'll research it. BTW, tank is still too small for such an active fish IMO. :)

Thanks for the kind words! :)

ONLY 1/2"?????? OVERBUILT???? hows that?

does the tank bow at all?? surley it does....right?

whats the smallest thickness you can go with a 12ft tank like yours? 3/8s?

I understand. I have 1 car in my very full 2 car garage. The rest is work bench, garden tools, and my extra wheels and tires.

I agree, that's a big round fish to go into a 15"x15" space, regardless of length. An adult dwarf angel, or even a genicanthus angel would be a better fit than a tang. That or an active shoal of chromis or anthias to not risk the reef safe aspect of things.

A wave box would've been cool. Damn you hindsight, and your 20/20 vision.

LOL! I've tried the chromies, they keep killing each other. Stupid fish. ;) Anthias can be a pain, and at 20-25 a pop even more painful. I love tangs and hope to maybe try some again, but need less active swimmers. Yeah, darn hindsight. LOL

ONLY 1/2"?????? OVERBUILT???? hows that?

does the tank bow at all?? surley it does....right?

whats the smallest thickness you can go with a 12ft tank like yours? 3/8s?

Yeah, way overbuilt... If properly braced (like this one) the only thing that determines the thickness of acrylic needed is the height of the tank. At 16" 3/8" would have been more than enough, and could have been done out of 1/4" but that is way too thin for my taste. Especially when trying to join the materials like I did. No the tank doesn't bow at all, why would you think it's underbuilt? What is your basis for this?

Yeah, way overbuilt... If properly braced (like this one) the only thing that determines the thickness of acrylic needed is the height of the tank. At 16" 3/8" would have been more than enough, and could have been done out of 1/4" but that is way too thin for my taste. Especially when trying to join the materials like I did. No the tank doesn't bow at all, why would you think it's underbuilt? What is your basis for this?

lol im just saying becuase of the length of the tank and the amount of water in it! i thought the water would just let gravity take over and boom!! or does that depend on how wide the tank is built? lol owell i dont know much bout acrylic. it was just a brainfart question i had:) dont mind lol

• 1 month later...
lol im just saying becuase of the length of the tank and the amount of water in it! i thought the water would just let gravity take over and boom!! or does that depend on how wide the tank is built? lol owell i dont know much bout acrylic. it was just a brainfart question i had:) dont mind lol

Water pressure is directly proportional to depth and nothing else. The tank could be 1' deep and 3 gallons or 1' deep and 1000 gallons, either way it would have the same pressure on the sides. Now a wide tank had to have bracing around the top because the acrylic will flex over longer spans.

Sorry, but yes the tank sold today, now to try to get it out of the basement in one piece... I have one week to get it to the garage for pick up. I'll post a link to my next idea when the time is right.

Thanks everyone for all your posts and support.

I have to say one of the coolest tanks I have seen in a long time...LOVE the length...can't wait for my next build:)

just caught the last post...what LED lighting were you using...couldn't seem to dig it up

Sorry but the tank is officially gone... She left this morning. I'm current working on rebuilding the stand into a bar and will incorporate a nano once I have everything planned out. For now I'm looking for tiles for the bar top and trying to sell off the rest if my equipment.

SaltySupply the lights are the same Chinese ones everyone else is using...

Kweli with my screen and projector upgrade it made it difficult to watch movies and have the lights high enough to not cook my corals... In short the light pendant blocked my projector when the lights were high enough and cooked the corals when they were low. The LEDs are really intense and it came down to one or the other. This move will also allow me to open up the room for more seating for watching sports and or movies/video games.

Again I'll post up when I have something going again but it will likely not be anything custom as I just don't have the time to build anything. :(

-Eric

Edited by calvin415

What a cool tank. I'm sure it was such an inspiration to many reefers, I'm sad to hear it had to go, but thanks for sharing the adventure of building it with us :)

sad to see it go, not sure if it was mentioned, but what made you sell the tank?

was it the time needed to keep the tank running? or maintenance cost?

sad to see it go, not sure if it was mentioned, but what made you sell the tank?

was it the time needed to keep the tank running? or maintenance cost?

It was a combination of things, but ultimately I was getting conflicting equipment in the same room. I couldn't watch movies without my lights blocking my projector, and the lights were too bright when they were down low enough. Rather than doing yet another lighting change I felt it was time to just go smaller. I won't lie, 1hr glass cleaning did help in the decision making...

WE WANT A 20-FOOTER!

WE WANT A 20-FOOTER!

WE WANT A 20-FOOTER!

HOO HOO HOO!

Yeah, what sucks about a tank that long is lighting it. :( Already considered a 16 footer, but just too much work. Time to go back to my passion and that's a smaller tank.

Hate to see it go but it sounds like it was time for a change. Hopefully the new owner will post its new progress on the internet somewhere.

Good luck with your next one, Eric!