• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

• 2 weeks later...

Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooo!?!?!!!!!!!! I was just wondering what was going on with your tank these days. I've been following this one for about a year. I'm a big fan. Maybe some FTS pics? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Calvin,

I must say your build is utterly amazing. I came across this thread about 2 months ago and read up to page 30 something. Since then I forgot about it so it took me a long time to catch up, around 3 hours, during which my cat was sick, then my dog ate the sick and then sicked all the sick back up! A very interesting albeit gross 3 hours I must say.

Its been a very good read and very interesting to say the least. I've been following this from across the pond in the UK. I'm thinking of employing you to make me a build, this one though perhaps 12'1"? :P

LOL! That must be one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard. ;) Thanks for tagging along. :D

Any Updates?

I'll be posting in a bit...

Nice A. Vermiculata!

The other piece above looks like and A. Austera

Actually it's an A. Yongi (Slimer), not sure the other piece in question...

This has got to be one of my favorite tanks of ALL TIME!

Thanks!

Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooo!?!?!!!!!!!! I was just wondering what was going on with your tank these days. I've been following this one for about a year. I'm a big fan. Maybe some FTS pics? Thanks!

No new pics, but soon...

so want to see some recent pix of this tank....it's one of the all time greats, I think

Thanks, no new pics, but some updates coming up...

I'm with quick on this!!! -_-

lol

yes more pics... i love the size on this tank!

Thanks!

UPDATE:

Well, I've been fighting with my lights for the last 6 months, the 3' section continues to pop bulbs due to the heat from being overdriven by my IC 660's. After replacing a bulb, 2 weeks later another would pop. This has been my routing for the last 3 months, popping bulbs, ordering bulbs, waiting for shipping, replacing said bulb, repeat. After dropping all this coin on 3' bulbs, one if my 4' sections just blew the ballast... :( Needless to say, I'm done with T-5's, they just get too hot on these ballasts. They are just not meant to handle that kind of heat. Sure fans could help, but what a pain trying to retro fans into this mess. So, here is my plan, and I'll have pics once it is transformed.

I will be changing the entire tank over to LED's. Yep, all 12 feet covered by 5 banks of 120w LED's. No more bulb replacement, no more crazy electricity, no more heat issues, no more sections without light. I hope to order the new lights either this weekend, or next week. Stay tunes for pics, of the tank, and my empty wallet. :(

Thanks for following, and I apologize for the lack of updates...

I'll post more growth shots soon as well.

-Eric

Edited by calvin415

WOW!!! What an amazing tank you have Calvin! I just got through with skimming all 67 pages and your build is incredible! I don't think I would have the confidence to build something like that from scratch. Nicely done.

Can't wait to see more photos!!!!

They are using 1w LED's not 3w? What PAR are they reporting? I'd be suspicious since most of the 1w fixtures I have seen don't produce much PAR.

There are 119 1w LED's

2" depth - 1537 Par 12" depth - 423 Par 24" depth - 182 Par

Saw it in person this weekend, and this baby is freakin bright!!!

Get one and run a PAR meter under it before you sink a ton into the rest. I got a chance to see one at Reefstock this weekend and the quick PAR measurement I took wasn't as promissing as they claimed. There could be extenuating circumstances for the low reading, but better to be safe than sorry.

I was out in Denver for the weekend, but I was at the show all day Saturday. We were in the back corner next to Ecoxotic. I was the dude with the long hair :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got a pair of Par 38's in the mail yesterday, and while I love the shimmer, it's just not bright enough IMO. They are still very cool, and my hat is off to Evil and his work they are a sweet little light! I also had a pair of the original fixture I posted from Steel City Corals and compared it to my T5's and I think it may even be brighter, and wow do the colors pop!!! I still plan to use the smaller version of the Par 38's to spot light certain corals, but the original fixture was just too cheap to pass up. I have 5 on the way, should be here by Friday next week. I'll post pics as soon as they get here; I'm stoked!!!!

Those LED units are made by a company in China named BSled (Baishang Semiconductor), and are able to be purchased directly from the manufacturer with the modifications you require. Most of the reefers here that've tested them have given them the thumbs up in terms of growth and colour, and have reported PAR comparable to a lot of 250W setups. From memory they are able to push around the 140 mark at the bed on a 22" deep tank, slightly higher (~5-10%) if you spec them with 40 3W LEDs instead.

There's a heavy discussion of it over on the RTAW forums if you want to have a look, mate.

Those LED units are made by a company in China named BSled (Baishang Semiconductor), and are able to be purchased directly from the manufacturer with the modifications you require. Most of the reefers here that've tested them have given them the thumbs up in terms of growth and colour, and have reported PAR comparable to a lot of 250W setups. From memory they are able to push around the 140 mark at the bed on a 22" deep tank, slightly higher (~5-10%) if you spec them with 40 3W LEDs instead.

There's a heavy discussion of it over on the RTAW forums if you want to have a look, mate.

Thanks for the link, not sure how they are getting them that cheap... ???

This is the most awesome tank ever

LOL! Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks for the link, not sure how they are getting them that cheap... ???

Direct contact with the company and not going through the resellers in the US :) there's an email contact about 14 pages in... either Happen or Candy I think most were using.

Thanks bro. I went ahead and ordered them through my friend for now, I know him, and know I'll get my order. :D Being told I should have them by Friday, so fingers crossed! I can't wait to see them!

Look forward to seeing them up, man! I'm still in two minds about 'em myself... whether to go that way or build my own. Hmmmmms.

What version did you end up getting?