Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Calvin415's LED lit 12 footer

calvin415

Looks great, this tank might be the only reason I still login to NR

LOL! Thanks! I don't always check my own thread which is why I don't always reply timely, but I do log into N-R daily! Definately one of the more entertaining and just as informative sites out there! :D

I've seen this tank in person and it's amazing.... Nice Job Eric!

Thanks Larry! Can't wait to see what you do with your 3g, I have a feeling you're going to be trading corals out all the time, given the collection you have to choose from. ;)

Hey, I volunteer at the aquarium. Wonder if I'll have some hand in setting the giga up in one of the tanks. That would be fun. I think QT is something along the lines of 40 days, but I'm really not allowed to talk about it, so.

Tank looks great Calvin. I'll have to steal stuff from you some time haha.

Sweet! Not sure where Rob put it, as it was still acclimating in a bucket when I left it there... Be sure to let me know when/if you see it on display. :D I want to make a trip up there, but would like to see my baby when I go. We have meetings down here monthly, and actually next months meeting will be in Castle Rock, you should show up, perhaps we can meet!

Right on, I guess I was really just thinking the canopy, like to hide the wires and make it all slick. I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said; this tank is just that good. You're certainly an asset to the hobby!

I couldn't agree more about the canopy, I just need to take a day away from everyone else and get the canopy finished... I just ordered a RKL to get me started on some automation, so I'll be sure to post some shots of that when it get's here (Thanks LDogg for the group buy!).

Way to rub it in :(:P

LOL!

I'm impressed you are able to keep ALLLLLLLLLL that acrylic looking so clean. you are doing that just with your mag float?

Great progress!

Thanks Tigah! Yeah, it takes a while to run the magnet, and then I still have another side to go! LOL! I use a mag float, but I wrap the inner magnet with one of these:

351240.jpg

Just cut the sponge out, and wrap the mag with the white netting. It even takes off coraline without scratching the acrylic. I do have a few minor scratches (not sure where they came from) every time I clean I watch like a hawk for any signs of scratches, but somehow they appear days later... :(

I guess it's update time huh??? I'll try to get some pics tonight, but here's a verbal for now... Lots of new corals, I'll try to get pics instead of trying to list them all here.

Also got some new fish. Here's the newest list:

2 Blue/Green Chromis

3 Red Firefish

1 Midas Blenny

1 False Percula Clown

1 African Leopard Wrasse

1 Dragon Goby

1 Lawnmower Blenny

1 Yellow Tang

1 Hippo Tang

1 Powder Blue Tang

1 Cleaner Shrimp

1 Harlequin Shrimp (sold, just waiting for pick up)

I love the Harlequin, but due to my inability to think ahead here is the story on this... I wanted to get more wrasses but was afraid they would attack the harlequin so I sold him. Then I ordered the tangs. One of them picked up some Ich, and without thinking I picked up a cleaner shrimp. The cleaner has done his job and the tangs are doing great and no more Ich, but I'm back in the same boat with the cleaner shrimp... Now do I go ahead and order more wrasses and just take my chances with the cleaner shrimp or forget more wrasses (or at least that might go after the shrimp) and get more shrimp? Of course, since the harlequin is already sold he'll be gone, but I guess that will just all me to add some decorative stars?

So many choices! :D

New pics coming soon!!!!!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

I'll see what I can find for wrasses. :D

Well I started to take some pics last night, then the lights went out on the tank, so I went to turn them back on, and the camera battery died... Grrrr, hopefully tonight will be better.

no problem.... :) look forward to seeing it down the road, and trading some sick acans with you.. ;)

Edited by Ldogg

Well, none of the fish would hold still long enough to get a decent pic so to hell with it... Here are some really blue vids (sorry can't adjust the white balance on the video setting)... They love swimming the length!

Fair warning, I had the baby in the room, so turn down the volume, the mic is really sensitive and everything is amplified!!!

th_DSCN5074.jpg

th_DSCN5075.jpg

th_DSCN5076.jpg

Edited by calvin415
patrick1234

Okay, so these are a little overdue... The corals on the sand bed along with the 4 cardinals were my trade at the Denver Aquarium for the Gigas. Patrick, I got the Gigas from a friend who got it from another local...quote]

O I was going to say it looks like a clam that D and G had

fishez4alivin

I have a cleaner shrimp with a flasher, yellow coris, girdled fairy and Lineatus fairy wrasse with no problems./...oh and a blue jaw trigger to boot...fantastic tank..best DIY ever!

Vids look awesome :D! That PBT does look really happy swimming the whole length :D!

I wish I had that kind of room!

Justin_Freebords

well its decided, the second im out of college im setting up a 90 gallon, learning all i can about larger reefs (i only have a 5.5gallon because of college) and then after some experience and money im building a long style tank. I NEED TO HAVE THE MOVEMENT! It was amazing to see that tang just go and go and go alll the way from end to end. This is the most amazing build i have ever seen

end of story

Wow! Look at that tang swim! That yellow and PBT seem to have hit it off though the poor blue is just sitting at the end not big enough to play with the big boys. :)

Did you consider getting some neon gobies to clean? You could get a pair or more with a tank that big.

I have a cleaner shrimp with a flasher, yellow coris, girdled fairy and Lineatus fairy wrasse with no problems./...oh and a blue jaw trigger to boot...fantastic tank..best DIY ever!

Thanks! Guess all I can do is give it a shot. ;) Well except the trigger...

Those tangs do look happy to have so much swimming space. Thanks for the videos!

Thanks! I hope they are happy, I was a little nervous adding the tangs, but ultimately nothing else would swim and fill the space like they do.

Vids look awesome :D! That PBT does look really happy swimming the whole length :D!

I wish I had that kind of room!

Thanks! I still wish I had more room! ;)

well its decided, the second im out of college im setting up a 90 gallon, learning all i can about larger reefs (i only have a 5.5gallon because of college) and then after some experience and money im building a long style tank. I NEED TO HAVE THE MOVEMENT! It was amazing to see that tang just go and go and go alll the way from end to end. This is the most amazing build i have ever seen

end of story

Thanks! I still need more movement! LOL! There is always more stuff to buy, but have to get some more cash to do it... ;)

Wow! Look at that tang swim! That yellow and PBT seem to have hit it off though the poor blue is just sitting at the end not big enough to play with the big boys. :)

Did you consider getting some neon gobies to clean? You could get a pair or more with a tank that big.

Yeah, the hippo is tiny, it's the size of the chromis, and everyone gives him a hard time, hopefully he'll grow up without too many battles. Thought about gobies, but I've always like shimp more... Not as hard to keep and adds a lot of attention factor gobies just don't get. That is, as long as I can keep the shrimp from becoming a meal. ;)

No way the tang police can say anything about the swimming room in this tank except well done Eric!!!!!

LOL! Thanks! Hopefully everyone stays happy, and don't get too big! I still want to add a purple, just to mix things up a bit... We'll see what the future holds.

First task is to finish stocking the tank, and then pull the shrimp for a big interceptor treatment... Already have a redbug infestation. :( I knew I'd get them and already planned on nuking the tank, just need to get all the corals I want so I only have to do one set of treatments.

Thanks for all the support and feed back!

-Eric

Edited by calvin415

Man I love this tank..............The tangs are reaaly loving the length for swiming . Can't wait to move and set up a long tank like this , but for now I must resist , I don't want to move a tank that long . Thanks for the videos Calvin .The tangs are the best looking fish in there . John

Man I love this tank..............The tangs are reaaly loving the length for swiming . Can't wait to move and set up a long tank like this , but for now I must resist , I don't want to move a tank that long . Thanks for the videos Calvin .The tangs are the best looking fish in there . John

Thanks! Yeah, I don't think I'll be trying to move this thing if we ever move... It will either be sold w/ the house or chopped up in order to remove it...

Those tangs look like they are having fun. Zoom!

Are you going to add some anthias?

Thanks! Yeah, just waiting for everything to adapt and the bacteria to get used to the higher bio load... Oh yeah, and some more moolah to pay for them. ;) LOL!

Yeah......I'm only a few years away from retirement and when we sell the house and move , I'll be tearing down all four of my reef tanks and going with one big one for the new house ( long and shallow ) I'll most likely be copying your dimensions . I'm going to pull 15k right off the top from the sale of the house . This will be for the new tank and equipment for the one large ( and only ) reef tank in the house . Keep the pics and videos coming , I'm loving it !

Thanks Gena!

Slug, if you're going to use my dimension do yourself a favor and don't do it 2 sided, put it against the wall and go longer. ;) I now wish I would have used the adjacent wall and gone 16' :( Less to clean, more to see, and more room for rock.

Eric, the tank looks great! Those videos really showed the rockwork and I think it fits the tank perfectly.

My tangs are very jealous or your tangs. They only get 72" to swim before turning.

Thanks Gena!

Slug, if you're going to use my dimension do yourself a favor and don't do it 2 sided, put it against the wall and go longer. ;) I now wish I would have used the adjacent wall and gone 16' :( Less to clean, more to see, and more room for rock.

I was thinking the same thing , I'm going from a two level house to a ranch with full basement , I was thinking of one side with external overflow , against a wall with fish room behind , the tank would then be viewable from three sides and divide the room . I'm not going to make the tank myself ( would never be able to sleep at night LOL ) The length will be decided on how it will get in the house or if I can hire out to be built in the basement . You just might have to fly out to build it for me LOL . :lol:

Eric, the tank looks great! Those videos really showed the rockwork and I think it fits the tank perfectly.

My tangs are very jealous or your tangs. They only get 72" to swim before turning.

LOL! Thanks! My Hippo is MIA right now, so I may be down one, but he was pretty small and pretty beat up. *fingers crossed*

I was thinking the same thing , I'm going from a two level house to a ranch with full basement , I was thinking of one side with external overflow , against a wall with fish room behind , the tank would then be viewable from three sides and divide the room . I'm not going to make the tank myself ( would never be able to sleep at night LOL ) The length will be decided on how it will get in the house or if I can hire out to be built in the basement . You just might have to fly out to build it for me LOL . :lol:

LOL! Sounds good except that part about me building it. ;)

I added a new toy since they were so cheap. :D

DSCN5091.jpg

Closer...

DSCN5097.jpg

Even Closer...

DSCN5092.jpg

And the details...

DSCN5096.jpg

Right now, I have it running the 3 ballasts (allowing me to illuminate and deluminate the tank and in 30 min increments, kind of a nice sun-rise and sun-set effect) and the fan on the sump to help with the excess heat... I hope to expand it down the road, but for now it's doing great!