Pod Your Reef

** StevieT's How to Change Water Guide **

StevieT

• 3 weeks later...

Stevie, so I have read this entire thread, very helpful thanks. One question though, I have the same tank and was following your procedure to the tee. However, when I mixed the salt I used 4 gallons of water and 2.5 cups of red sea coral pro salt and got a salinity of 1.030? This is without injecting any air into the water? I had to add an extra gallon of water to get the salinity down. Do you mix with 4 gallons or more with the 2.5 cups?

I estimate it at 4 gallons and I fill the measuring cup to the top, then estimate the 1/2 cup. So it isn't an exact literally measurement. It works for me but again I am not actually measuring out 4 gallons, using a natural line on a bucket.

Find what works for you, use less salt next time or more water. Air injection will not effect salinity. If you also had evaporation over the time of mixing and testing it may have effected it as well. I know if I let my water sit over night I have to add fresh RO to it or use less salt before hand to accommodate.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they mean just siphon the top of the sand bed. Disturbing the lower, deeper parts of the sand bed messes up the already established nitrogen cycle. Siphoning the entire depth of the bed negates the effect of having a sand bed as another filter in the system.

On the plus side. Your sand bed has got to be nice! Although a properly maintained tank with good turnover rates will keep a sand bed pretty clean. Snails will do the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering where to get RO water and had not considered looking at the large prebottled stuff. Probably be much cheaper than buying the premade salt water from my LFS for $1/gallon.

Your best long term option is to make your own and purchase a RO/DI machine

While I'm just running my 8g, I think I'll take the easier route and make my own with some RO water and a bucket. Once this one get's going and moves to my office, I plan on starting a 30-40gallon to keep here in the house. 10% water changes might get pricey at that point ;)

• 4 weeks later...

How much do you spend a month on supps. I am guessing Im around 200 or so. I use no products, multivitamins, creatine, about ten pounds of protein powder, currently on anabolic halo, and bcaa and essentials as well. What do you guys take?

Mr. Microscope

I made up 5 gallons to start my tank, but only needed about 3.5. It'll be a while before I have to do a water change (waiting for cycle). Should I just discard the remaining water? Will it be okay in the bucket? For normal water changes, is it best to make up water fresh each time or does it matter?

Thanks!

Overall it doesn't matter you can store water. Just make sure it is covered, having it move with a pump is best. For that small amount I would just dump it, not worth the trouble. If you store water there will be evaporation so you will have to add fresh RO to bring the salinity back down before the change.

You could dump it in some kind of small sealed container if you like. Just mix, reheat and check salinity before you use.

Mr. Microscope
...For that small amount I would just dump it, not worth the trouble...

Yeah, I ended up dumping it. I had the bucket sealed, but when I checked it just now it didn't have the freshest smell. I don't want to risk it with such a small water volume. Thanks for the advice!

• 1 month later...
I vote for a sticky!

Hi great thread... noob here with a noob question...when I'm siphoning am i supposed to be cleaning the sand bed also or stay above it and just siphon out water?

You don't have to siphon the sand bed, but you can siphon detritus that's lying on top.

You don't have to siphon the sand bed, but you can siphon detritus that's lying on top.

HEAD ON APPLY DIRECTLY TO FOREHEAD

HEAD ON APPLY DIRECTLY TO FOREHEAD