inTank Media Baskets

** StevieT's How to Change Water Guide **

StevieT

• 3 weeks later...
How long do you mix your water?

Depends how motivated I am to do a water change. You have to wait till it comes up and matches the temp of your tank. So this is your min amount of time.

Partially Submerged

Very useful instructions, thank you! Is it okay to mix a larger batch of saltwater and store it so that I just have to heat up whatever I need for a w/c?

Yes you can. Just keep it covered an mind evaporation. Most will say to keep circulation in the stored mixed water.

Very useful instructions, thank you! Is it okay to mix a larger batch of saltwater and store it so that I just have to heat up whatever I need for a w/c?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question that may or may not be stupid, but

I see most of you talk about WC every week, more about every 2 weeks, but if your water params are perfect, why do the WC until you get an ammonia reading? My LFS changes once a month. So far, I have waited 10 days or so, but I'm past that now and water is still testing prefect and I have redundant testing...I'm very OCD so I test for ammonia and nitrate every few days. I also have those little emergency hangy tabs on the glass for ammonia and ph.

I have a question that may or may not be stupid, but

I see most of you talk about WC every week, more about every 2 weeks, but if your water params are perfect, why do the WC until you get an ammonia reading? My LFS changes once a month. So far, I have waited 10 days or so, but I'm past that now and water is still testing prefect and I have redundant testing...I'm very OCD so I test for ammonia and nitrate every few days. I also have those little emergency hangy tabs on the glass for ammonia and ph.

You should never have ammonia regardless, unless you over feed or do not have enough live rock. The once a week is ideal, it is the best situation. Can you do them bi monthly? sure. You should be more worried about nitrates than ammonia as if the tank is set up correctly you won't have ammonia.

Water changes input back into the aquarium trace elements, it isn't all about removal.

But everything else is perfect also, 0 nitrite/nitrate so far. Water is crystal, ph around 8.0 to 8.1, temp 77.5. salinity 1.025

I have no problem doing them weekly, just wondered why so often if everything is fine.

Partially Submerged

I have Halimeda in my very small tank. If I don't change my water weekly, it suffers. I suspect it depletes the calcium in the water, or whatever it uses to synthesize calcium carbonate for growth.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've never knew about blowing your rock with turkey baster. May I ask why you do that? I would use seachem prime during water change before you put your salt into you water.

I've never knew about blowing your rock with turkey baster. May I ask why you do that? I would use seachem prime during water change before you put your salt into you water.

To remove trapped detritus.

Prime is pointless and a waste as you are to use RODI water.

@Stevieztree The reason I use the seachem prime is just to take any precaution before you put it in the tank. I like to make sure that the RODI water have no ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

@Stevieztree The reason I use the seachem prime is just to take any precaution before you put it in the tank. I like to make sure that the RODI water have no ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

You're just throwing money away, and adding something to the water that shouldn't be.

If your RODI water is good, it's pure H20, it can't have anything else but water molecules in it.

Prime will also reduce oxygen in the water, which could cause issues while mixing.

I didn't know that Prime can reduce oxygen in the water. Thank you

• 3 months later...

Nice thread! Great tîp on blasting the rocks, I need all the tips i can get. I have a huge Draft in my email with links and titles to all kind of info. This one is added :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What do you guys do for water change? Do you keep saltwater ready to use in 5 gallon jug somewhere in storage ready to use? If yes, do you keep it in certain temperature at all time?
Do you make it as you go?

I mix mine 18-24 hours prior to doing the water change. I change 15-25% at a time (depending on the tank). I keep it at the same temp as my tank during the mixing process, but this is not required. I imagine heating 5 gallons only takes an hour or so.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...