Pod Your Reef

** StevieT's How to Change Water Guide **

StevieT

BioReeFDude

Also RO system is not always needed u can call your local water company (alhambra) they all use RO systems and just ask for plain purified water NO Extras ;)

• 1 month later...

Awesome thread Steve. Great contribution!

Typically, how high do you fill your tank? I've heard about an inch shy of overflow but don't know for sure. First timer here.

Water height is very custom to every tank. There is no set rule on distance from the edge.

Although most tanks have a surface skimmer, so water height is specific to that tank to allow the skimmer to work properly. Too high and it will not surface skim, too low and you may starve your filtration pumps of water.

In my tank (RSM) I have my water about 1/4" below the molding. The molding is about 1" tall.

If you have no surface skimmer than I would set the water level about 1" below the top of the tank. This allows for flow not to splash on your floor and snails/inverts not to climb out of the tank.

Keep the water level constant as when it goes down, salinity is rising. Also keep it the same after every water change.

Water height is very custom to every tank. There is no set rule on distance from the edge.

Although most tanks have a surface skimmer, so water height is specific to that tank to allow the skimmer to work properly. Too high and it will not surface skim, too low and you may starve your filtration pumps of water.

In my tank (RSM) I have my water about 1/4" below the molding. The molding is about 1" tall.

If you have no surface skimmer than I would set the water level about 1" below the top of the tank. This allows for flow not to splash on your floor and snails/inverts not to climb out of the tank.

Keep the water level constant as when it goes down, salinity is rising. Also keep it the same after every water change.

Thanks StevieT!

I purchased the hagen ac surface skimmer and returned my AC110 for an AC70 (for fuge mod). I'll hopefully have that installed by next weekend. Right now I just have a powerhead and heater going. Should I be removing the foam that collects on the surface? I mixed all my water in my main and added the salt earlier in the week but the water is still super cloudy. I can see salt residue on the glass and equipment but I'm just going to continue to let it mix.

http://i39.tinypic.com/rbjx45.jpg

Pic for reference.

Yes you should be collecting the surface film build up with the surface skimmer.

That is why you should never mix salt in the tank, always in a bucket. Becuase it looks like new tank just knock it back into the water and mix really well.

• 3 weeks later...

this is a great guide thanks for donating your time to educate us noobs

as I went through it I had questions by the time I read all of it they had been answered awesome job!

thanks guys, enjoy!

Add on: For Auto Top Off users (ATO)

My ATO reservoir will last arond 7 days depending on evap. patterns. Drurning your water change check your ATO, it will need to be filled. Use only fresh RO water in your reservoir, never salt, and NEVER tap water B)

Empty:

IMG_3966.jpg

IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

Filled:

IMG_3969.jpg

IMG_3968.jpg

this is a great guide thanks for donating your time to educate us noobs

as I went through it I had questions by the time I read all of it they had been answered awesome job!

I am glad it was helpful to you! Thanks for reading.

• 1 month later...

Would you want to use RO/DI water for not only the initial fill, but also for water changes and top-offs? Seems like that would produce a cleaner water than just using RO.

Would you want to use RO/DI water for not only the initial fill, but also for water changes and top-offs? Seems like that would produce a cleaner water than just using RO.

Yes, but an initial fill for leak testing you can use tap water, but you drain this off. After that RO/DI only especially for top offs and water changes

RO vs RO/DI is about 4 TDS

Inna 8g pica, changing 1 1/2g how much should be allowed for back? I mean I take out 1 1/2 of water, put back 1 1/2 yet still need to top off.

I am a bit confused. If you take 1.5 gallons of saltwater out you have to put 1.5 gallons of new saltwater back in.

You need to be topping off the tank before a water change otherwise you will raise the salinity if you put more saltwater in vs what you took out.

mrbigmuscles

Hi everyone, new to this forum but not to aquaria. Was wondering about the suggestion to clean the tank with Windex - I have always heard not get anywhere near a fish tank of any kind with that kind of cleanser as it is highly toxic. Is this wrong? I don't want to start a flamewar or anything, this is a great thread!

Hi everyone, new to this forum but not to aquaria. Was wondering about the suggestion to clean the tank with Windex - I have always heard not get anywhere near a fish tank of any kind with that kind of cleanser as it is highly toxic. Is this wrong? I don't want to start a flamewar or anything, this is a great thread!

:welcome:

Most clean their glass with windex. If you spray it on the glass and not in the tank it won't be a problem. To be super safe spray it on the towel first or use RO/DI water to clean the glass. I will try and find a recent thread on this subject for you.

I prefer windex in my tank, which is open top. Have used it on all other fish tanks as well.

here you go

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=200958

davidncbrown

I use sprayway glass cleaner. It works wonders! Just spray it on a paper towel and then use it to wipe off your tank. As with any glass cleaner, be it windex or just plain old vinegar, never spray directly onto your glass or you risk getting it in your tank.

• 2 weeks later...

This is such an AWESOME thread!!! I am glad that I found this place. Steve, I love the way you explain things. So easy to understand! :D

I am a complete newbie to the marine aquarium. I have a 55 gall fresh water tank for 7 yrs., so not new to the aquarium hobby. But the Marine aquarium just seems like a complete different ball game. I have just embark on this journey with a Cube-master 14g, it was a gift to me. It is being cycled for a week so far with 10lbs of Carrib live sand and a live rock from LFS (I assume that's Local Fish Store??). Everythings seems to be okay so far. Here're my questions regarding water change.

1. I am planning to get my salt-water from the LFS until everything starts to run well. Hence, I do not have any RO water at home that is not salted. For top offs, can I just used normal distilled drinking water?

2. The back compartments contains a) white fine sponge B) black coase sponge and c) bioballs and a bag of carbon, d)pump. Are these sufficient? I will be adding a tank heater this weekend. Currently, the tank water is stable at 80deg. F. I assume the tank heater goes in the pump chamber?

3. I have heard that I should only change 10% of water per week. So, I should be changing 1.5 gal?

4. I have not done a water change yet, and will be this weekend. Noticed that there are some mostly "transparent" "flakes" on the water surface. I try to get rid of it buy skim the water top with a paper towel, but not very effective. I have never seen that on my fw tank. How should I get rid of that?

Thank you so much for all your help!!!

Grace

:welcome:

1. I am planning to get my salt-water from the LFS until everything starts to run well. Hence, I do not have any RO water at home that is not salted. For top offs, can I just used normal distilled drinking water?

Use distilled water, usually people do not drink it because it has no taste. 0 TDS is the goal with water and a reef

2. The back compartments contains a) white fine sponge B) black coase sponge and c) bioballs and a bag of carbon, d)pump. Are these sufficient? I will be adding a tank heater this weekend. Currently, the tank water is stable at 80deg. F. I assume the tank heater goes in the pump chamber?

Ditch the bioballs and sponges. Use chemical media (chemi pure) and filter floss. You can also create a fuge with chaeto. Heater can go in any area that it fits, flow is important so is tank temp stability.

3. I have heard that I should only change 10% of water per week. So, I should be changing 1.5 gal?

10-30% is fine. The more the better actually.

4. I have not done a water change yet, and will be this weekend. Noticed that there are some mostly "transparent" "flakes" on the water surface. I try to get rid of it buy skim the water top with a paper towel, but not very effective. I have never seen that on my fw tank. How should I get rid of that?

Flow pointed to the top or a surface skimmer. Is this like an AIO tank that has rear filtration chambers? If so it should have some kind of water intake that acts as a surface skimmer.

One week is a very fast cycle. Make sure you are testing before adding any livestock and take it slow.

Edited by StevieT
Ditch the bioballs and sponges. Use chemical media (chemi pure) and filter floss. You can also create a fuge with chaeto. Heater can go in any area that it fits, flow is important so is tank temp stability.

Stupid Question. What is this filter floss you speak of. Do you have a link to one I can buy?

thanks

trippinsting
Stupid Question. What is this filter floss you speak of. Do you have a link to one I can buy?

thanks

i asked the same question. dont worry no questions here are stupid. you can try poly fill for your filter or order some off of intank.. thats what i did and im waitin for my order to come

wingdestiny

You can buy filter floss almost anywhere, just ask your LFS for some usually its about $1 per sqft. I usually get about 50 sqft of it for about $25. Stevie awesome guide for salt mixing. I do just about the same thing except I have preheated water in a 55 gallon tub with aged RO water with a pump constantly moving the water. It takes me about 15 minutes to make a 2 gallon salt mix as the water is already preheated. Its best, if everyone else can store RO water in a storage tank that way its dispensable when needed, that and it will always be the right temp rather than having cold RO water come out of the tap for mixing.

post-44941-1247635675_thumb.jpg

post-44941-1247635682_thumb.jpg

thanks

If you look back in this thread it is talked about many times

Steve, et al...

I just realized that I should have posted in the forum and not on the sticky... I am going to start a new thread with picture of my tank. Thank you so much and I appologized posting on the wrong place. :P

Here's the new thread: Link to Noobie thread

Grace

Edited by Gracie
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
musical reefer

Thanks Stevie. I read ALL the pages and came upon the answers I needed. I also have a Cube Masters aquarium I want to try as a reef tank. Thanks for the answers for the questions. I am sure I will have some asking about the fuge in the back compartment very soon.

Thanks.... STICKIE for sure! :D