Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

** StevieT's How to Change Water Guide **

StevieT

Beautiful!

A local store suggested adding a stress syme or bio spiria when changing water. You didn't mention it. I just did a 20% water change and added the stress syme and actually ended up with higher nitrates than before I changed. Could the stres syme be the culprit.

Don't use any of that junk. If you are using RO water there is no point to start with. Junky freshwater products and bad advice IMO just to make a sale.

Nitrates can come from you stirring up junk during the water change.

Don't use any of that junk. If you are using RO water there is no point to start with. Junky freshwater products and bad advice IMO just to make a sale.

Nitrates can come from you stirring up junk during the water change.

Okay. Thanks

brandon429

well written stuff so far, agreed I would never use bacterial supplements for water changes the bacteria are set in balance naturally and don't go away unless you use antibacterial products. they never need boosting during the life of the tank after they are established. No normal mistake you could make would kill them either> salinity issues won't kill them, pH issues won't kill them, they are the last thing to die in any reef tank.

google this: "nitrate in the reef aquarium by randy holmes farley" its the best nitrate workup Ive ever seen.

• 3 months later...

How do you know how much salt to put it in? I am going be needing to fill my BioCube 14 and I am going to use 5 gallon buckets of RO water. How much salt would I need in a 5 gallon bucket full of water?

I wonder how much money StevieT made off making this guide... #badmrcoral

BTW - You should make one for how to get rid of cyano ;) That's where the big money is. LOL

Great job st

Most of the salt packages will tell you how much salt to add and come with a measuring cup. That's usually a good starting point. It always seems like I have to add a little more though...

The standard measuring of salt is 1/2 cup per gallon of water. Start with that.

Ok, great! Thanks!

I am using the same salt as Stevie-T. Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. It comes in the mail today.

Does anybody have any experience with this brand and how much a gallon of RO would need? Somebody mentioned it depends on the brand.

Edited by bjbass
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You can, but what do you mean by jerry can? Like a bucket?

If so yes, just keep it covered to avoid evaporation and always test it's salinity and heat it up with circulation before use.

You can, but what do you mean by jerry can? Like a bucket?

If so yes, just keep it covered to avoid evaporation and always test it's salinity and heat it up with circulation before use.

A red plastic gas can. It is new and never used for gas, but it is not food grade. Will it leach toxins into the water?

I will definately test paramaters and make sure it matches the tanks water before using. I only plan on keeping enough for 1 or two water changes on hand, so it would be kept for a week or two.

Can't answer if it is safe or not, don't know if they line those with any coating.

Would be easier just to make it in a bucket. I know it's easier to pour out of a can but you can't put a pump in it, you probably can fit the heater.

I just hook a tube to my water mixing pump and pump my new water into my tank so I dont have to worry about dumping in any until its down to like the last 1/4 inch of water.

Was wondering though, my nitrates are high and I want to do a 15g water change from my 29bc, so I need a larger container for my water because I only have 2 xtra pumps and 1 xtra heater. So my 5gal bucket isn't going to do the trick. Any cheap suggestions I could run out to pick up?

oh ya great idea, I think I actually have some big ones in my storage room from when I moved, things are huge though, probably 40-50gal but that should work as long as I rinse it with RO first right? Or should I just be safe and go buy a new one. Thanks for the quick reply.

~Andy

You make the call but if they were for dry storage just rinse them out.

I've moved my tank twice and both times I just go get a garbage can to make all the new water up in a head of time

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am new to this and I am in a cycle right now so I have yet to change the water. I was wondering do i really need a siphon or can i just scoop water out with a big jug or pitcher? is the a reason for the siphon?

Hello, I am new to this and I am in a cycle right now so I have yet to change the water. I was wondering do i really need a siphon or can i just scoop water out with a big jug or pitcher? is the a reason for the siphon?

Just the way I do it.....

I went a got two plastic food storage bins from Walmart. 6 gallons each. I mix up my water 3-4 gallons the night before. Check to make sure salinity, PH, and temp of the mixed water all match the tank. Set the empty bin next to the full bin next to the empty one and use a pitcher (cut the top off a 1 liter water bottom) to fill it up to the same amount. Then dump the new water in through the sump on the back of the tank.