Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

***StevieT's Media Rack for the RSM ***

StevieT

acrylic tubing purchased........ will work on new cup for tunze this coming week. Shipping from California, 4 business day UPS transit time

Cant wait to see how that turns out. As for the HUGE skimmer cup, I'd say the biggest problem with the current cup is not that its too tall but its too wide. My cup always pushes out against the cable trays and I never want to wedge it in there too forcefully.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Version 1.3

Final version, this rack is perfected and we shall keep it to this design. Patent Pending.

New groove to get around notch on intake grate

IMG_4367.jpg

Larger routed area to house top shelf. Allows egg crate to slide in and hold, preventing floating issues, movement problems.

IMG_4342.jpg

IMG_4343.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

Cleaner look to non-welded edges using MAP gas heat.

IMG_4360.jpg

Best rack yet!

IMG_4364.jpg

IMG_4365.jpg

I got the new venturi in the mail from Tunze yesterday. I first placed the Tunze in the front of the tank right on the water line and now it does blow air but I couldn't get it to produce any foam at all and it seemed like I had to back out the blue screw all the way to get anything noticeable. I could get lots of bubbles at the base of the tube but no foam was being generated. So I thought maybe it would work better in the back of the RSM. I put everything in the back as suggested...StevieT media rack and all. The Tunze worked even worse in the back because I couldn't get it down far enough for the correct water level.

I'm glad some of you have gotten this working but I'm chalking it up as a failed $200 experiment.

Gil

I would let the skimmer break in before you judge it's performance. If you are getting bubbles in the tube, foam will be created after it breaks in and bioload is collected in the bubbles.

If the water level is droping you can try putting a small hole in the bottom of the rack or top, it will help equal out the water level in the chambers (if that is the issue here with a water line) Overall I don't worry too much about that line, it seems to still perform as long as it is semi close, higher is worse, lower doesn't seem to effect much.

I am working on making a new cup for the tunze. It will allow for a better fit and we can lower the unit in the rear chambers.

Oceanic 30g

Gilrock,

As Stevie says, give the skimmer some break in time. THey are usually good after a few days to a week.

Gil-I had the exact same concern that you did when I first put the skimmer in. It is really different from the stock skimmer. It takes awhile for the skimmer to break in. Even the RSM stock skimmer takes a few weeks to a month to break in.

But trust me. You will get bubbles and foam into your cup. Your water line should be at the marked water line on the Tunze or lower. I always thought it needed to be right at the water line. But that is not the case. Your water line can be up to 1/2" below the marked line and it will still work. Give it a few days. Just keep it in the back. Close down that blue valve about half. If you have it completely open you will wind up with a cup full of water when the skimmer kicks in. Even now...sometimes it seems like the skimmer isn't working. I will see no bubbling into the cup then next thing you know it's foaming into the cup. It really is not doing anything different than the stock skimmer. I never got much foam or anything into my stock skimmer.

I hope that helps. I know this whole hobby can be a bit frustrating and trial and error. But enough people have switched to the Tunze and have had success. I really think you need to just give it a few days and let it work for you. Think about it this way...you always have the stock skimmer you can put back in. You are not doing any damage to your tank by trying it out. If you really do not like it then return it. But I think you will see results once it kicks in.

I'll give it another try because I don't think I could return it since I removed the stock magnet and have both magnets glued to one side. Be careful if you try to remove the magnet because I ended up cracking a small section of the side wall that I had to glue back in place. I liked the two magnet setup because you can buy a MagFloat and use both pieces to hold 2 magnets in place.

Gil

I'll give it another try because I don't think I could return it since I removed the stock magnet and have both magnets glued to one side. Be careful if you try to remove the magnet because I ended up cracking a small section of the side wall that I had to glue back in place. I liked the two magnet setup because you can buy a MagFloat and use both pieces to hold 2 magnets in place.

Gil

I wanted to do that too!! But I was so scared I would cut a big hole in the side of the skimmer and then I would really be up a creek! Good to know it can be done though. I would like to have two magnets on the side and using the mag float is a great idea! I use a mag float to keep my ATO sensor in place.

Keep us posted on how things are going. I bet you will be happy with it in a few days! I can't remember what you have in your tank but it needs some bioload in it for the skimmer to get a good green skim mate and foam. I had a pretty light bioload until recently. Good Luck!!

Gil

That was my fear of removing the magnet and thus I didn't go that route. MagFloats are awesome for holding up equipment on the outer side. Keep us posted, let me know how the rack works out.

changing my design one last time to save on labor, it may even reduce the cost! Also to help with a few flow issues in some tanks. It is odd that everyone has a little different experience with the stock pumps.

Nice version 1.3 Steve. You have really put a lot of time into this ... may be you should go design RSM v2.0 for Red Sea. =)

Thanks for all of you sharing the Tunze setup/mounting and the media basket info ... I am planning to put mine in when the Tunze arrives in 7 days .... 7 days ... that's crazy ... too long ... I bought it like 2 weeks ago ... sigh ...

The following is my Media Basket that I receive from Steve ... just wanted to share a pic ... love the white logo ... (and I was hoping that I will get the white one too ... Steve reads minds =) )

steviet_mediabasket.jpg

Ok I've the Tunze back up and running and I'll give it some time. I also am finally happy with the media rack after using my belt sander to notch out where the intake interference was happening and square up the corners at the bottom.

I've posted some tank photos on my RSM thread if you'd like to check them out.

Gil

Ok I've the Tunze back up and running and I'll give it some time. I also am finally happy with the media rack after using my belt sander to notch out where the intake interference was happening and square up the corners at the bottom.

I've posted some tank photos on my RSM thread if you'd like to check them out.

Gil

good to hear! I noticed the lip issue a little late, there is always something. My first rack fit just fine but I was getting lucky. I used a bentch grinder to make the new shelving, but the next verson won't even have them for increased flow and clearance on that lip. Who knew an acrylic rack could go though so many stages!!!

6000 !!!!! wow

:happydance:

Ok, So I said there would be no more versions, but I want to provide something that has no issues and is extremely professional so here is the next improvements. If I ever find acrylic egg crate, there will be a V3.0

V2.0

Improved shelving, now without hole, provides an estimated 40-50% more flow than V1.3. Also notch for intake lip is built in, no more grinding it in.

Old:

IMG_4396.jpg

New:

IMG_4397.jpg

IMG_4400.jpg

IMG_4402.jpg

IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4405.jpg

IMG_4399.jpg

Acrylic tubing will be here tomorrow (Thursday May 28) There will be a seperate build thread for the new skimmer cup!

JimDantin: Thank you for all of your help :happydance:

DadofReefs

Steve - that looks great! That should definitely solve any flow issues!

Well done!

Just curious...did you lower the top shelf a little? In the one we have, we can see our filter floss above the shutter. Ideally we would like to hide that.

DoR

Yes, I have been back and forth with the shelving heights. I played with a larger lower shelve for larger media, but that proved that the top shelve would be higher and you can see filter floss through the grate.

V2.0 and V1.3 have a lower top shelve, by 1 inch. There is still plenty of room for chemi pure and purigen, I have V1.4 running in my tank and am impressed with the increased flow possiblity.

WooHoo!!!

That looks really great and more professional. I didn't think about the height of the upper shelf -- it will definately help to lower it -- my floss is dry on top.

I really think this should be V2.0 for such a major design change :lol:

yeah, you are probably correct, it will now be V 2.0...

This new design took FOREVER to make (prototype model).... it was tough at first to get those braces square and I was using clamps to hold them. So after 5 hours of measuring and trying to build then failing at life, I took a break, ate some food, watched a vid on the internet on how to make a box out of acrylic.

Found out that you don't need clamps, just let it square itself on a flat table. Bingo!

Jim- I was thinking this new design would take even longer, but after working out the kinks it is good to go, thanks again! I am making the square shelves first, then mounting on the side braces.

opinions? Comments?

inTankLogoJPEG.jpg

I've sent you a sketch with a way to do the entire assembly in one step without waiting for sub-assemblys to dry. How's that for efficiency? :wizard:

I love the new v2.0 design ... it looks so good and looks like there is more flow too ...

regarding the logo ... i like the previous one better :)

haha, i do too!

I need a company name though, something that pops so I came up with that. I am still working with the wave line on the "T" not where I want it just yet.

Alright, made up a Jig and will test it out tommorrow, making these should be a snap now, thanks once again Jim!!!! :happydance:

meetings tomorrow, N-R business resumes Friday.

Prototype of cup done!!!!

I need to make a few changes and add some flare but so far so good. I am going to lower the height for better, dryer skimming. This build will have a seperate thread in the future.

13 hours of operation

IMG_4441.jpg

IMG_4442.jpg

Just wanted to report back that everyone's advice about the Tunze was right on. It didn't look like it was doing anything at first. I had the air setting almost maxed out and there was only a small amount of bubbling at the base of the tube. After getting the advice to let it "break in" I was skeptical because I mean come on...it sucks air and blows water...what's there to break in?

So later in the day I check it and it's overflowing with water...the entire cup filled up. That's something you can't cause on purpose with the stock skimmer. After dialing it back I was getting a nice amount of skimmate in the cup. It was almost an 1" deep within 4-5 days and I was going to take a picture but I knocked the cup over when trying to put a white background behind it for the photo...doh. :o

After my last water change I noticed it didn't seem to be doing much again so I tweaked the air setting and sure enough a few hours later I looked and the cup was overflowing again.

So I've decided what people mean by "breaking it in" is that the skimmer needs to generate a certain amount of protein buildup at the top of the water level before the foam really starts to bubble up correctly to overflow in the cup.

Of course I'm also happy with using the media rack...I actually do like lifting it up a few inches to remove the filter floss and sponge. It lets the water drain off of them nicely before I pull them out. If I reach down in there and grab them I feel like I'm squishing nasty water back into the tank.

My only complaint about the Tunze now is the cord is too short to route it up into the cord track and have enough left over to loop below the outlet cover and back up into the second slot from the top. I guess I could change what switch I use to activate the skimmer because it would reach the bottom 1 or 2 outlets.

Thanks,

Gil

That is good news Gil ! It is weird that a skimmer would have to break in, but they all do go through some stage.

I agree on the cord length, I may put an extension in one day but for now I have it routed over the media rack then down into the electrical chamber. The only issue with that is when removing the rack you have to unplug the skimmer. But since that is only every 4-5 months, it isn't too big of a deal.

StevieT you might want to try and use RSM skimmer collection cup and use the Tunze throat. I would also try to maintain the Tunze clearance between the throat and lid. Watching it operate, foam seems to collect by design on the bottom side of the lid. The bottom shape of that lid is concave, or is it convex, so fluids collect over the throat….

Archived