inTank Media Baskets

5 g Bowfront - NEW PICS 10-24 - Total Pics = 188

Sctn4Elk

fiction101

I'm not really familiar with dips but many people recommend them, I know fresh water dips is one way to help them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it has been awhile since I posted any updates, been busy helping my son start a tank similar to Lalani's pico build and getting my wifes 35 hex FOLR tank started.

So far the tank is doing good, my NO3, NO2 and AMM have never read any values other than 0 after the cycle was done. I added a few corals, a two spot goby and a fire shrimp to go along with my fridmani.

The good news is that all but 1 coral is surviving (although a latest edition is looking slimy) and the fridmani is doing great.

The bad news is that the goby never did eat and died (no body found) and now the fire shrimp is missing. I see a shedded skin (I hope) but no shrimp anywhere.

I also had a stowaway mantis shrimp I had to extricate from my Zoa's. I tried to keep him alive in a small pico, but alas, he perished.

OK, here are my pics:

Mantis

DSCN1274.JPG

Zoa's, Paly's and some mushroom cap looking corals.

DSCN1305.JPG

??

DSCN1289.JPG

Dead on left, ?? on right

DSCN1287.JPG

Candy Cane

DSCN1296.JPG

Ric

DSCN1295.JPG

DSCN1296.JPG

With the help of this forum I was able to identify the lime green "brain" coral in this photo...it appears to be a gonipora in very bad shape. I found a website www.gonipora.org that may help me save this guy....I hope so because it looks so cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I would add some updated pics showing the new additions...and the nasty outbreak of cyano...

Top down Zoa's

DSCN1321.JPG

Tongan Pulsing Xenia

DSCN1316.JPG

Angle shot

DSCN1314.JPG

Hammer

DSCN1311.JPG

Full view - notice the half white/ half algae covered rock...two snails spent all day doing that...then moved...you would have thought they could have finished the job... :D

DSCN1313.JPG

First your lime green open brain is actually a dying goniopora aka a flowerpot coral. Second I am guessing your lights are a little weak since your acropora has already started to brown out. I would definitely take more time to figure out what you are purchasing in the future. Those zoos are sweet though.

First your lime green open brain is actually a dying goniopora aka a flowerpot coral. ...

It's dead, I figured out it was a gonipora by posting in the ID forum...from what I have learned goni's don't do well in captivity anyway and this guy was on his way out when purchased...no luck in reviving him...

...Second I am guessing your lights are a little weak since your acropora has already started to brown out ...

No, not weak...this is a brand new setup...All of the corals were tainted by some bad toxin that was in my water (???) see this thread Toxin. I didn't have the dieoff like my 35 did, but it was close. All of my corals are just starting to return to normal and the Acro is turning green again....

... I would definitely take more time to figure out what you are purchasing in the future. ...

Noted...

OK, it's been a few and I had some new additions so I thought I would update my thread.

My viewing chair (ha ha B-day present) still no doors yet though...

DSCN1390.JPG

GCB

DSCN1388.JPG

DSCN1389.JPG

GSP and Yellow Polyps

DSCN1382.JPG

Hammer

DSCN1381.JPG

Candy Cane, Ric, Zoas

DSCN1378.JPG

Paly

DSCN1372.JPG

Right Angle shot

DSCN1371.JPG

Left Angle shot

DSCN1370.JPG

FTS

DSCN1369.JPG

FYI....one thing about small bowfront tanks....I just can't seem to get away from reflections or blurry pics...

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed it has been awhile since I updated my thread, so here are some new pics. I added a couple of Red Monti Cap frags, what was advertised as a Green Slimer frag, but it doesn't look like one and an encrusting Montipora, although I have not been able to ID it yet.

FTS

DSCN1434.JPG

Green Slimer...Nope its a Hydnophora.

DSCN1431.JPG

Monti frags

DSCN1428.JPG

Encrusting Monti...Nope its a Pavona.

DSCN1427.JPG

Pom Pom Xenia and Ric

DSCN1409.JPG

Hammer, GSP, Yellow Polyps

DSCN1408.JPG

Pavona and Acro

DSCN1407.JPG

Any thoughts on where I should place the Monti frags?

Yay....with the help of the great folks here at NR...we ID'd the two new additions....A Hydnophora and a Pavona...

Thanks Everyone

i see a majano in the shot with gsp, yellow polyps and hammer. just to let you know. you dont want it overrunning that sweet 5g do you?

i see a majano in the shot with gsp, yellow polyps and hammer. just to let you know. you dont want it overrunning that sweet 5g do you?

Actually I have two of them...same size, about the size of pencil erasers. I figured, as long as they stay put and don't multiply, I'll leave them..but if they mess up, I will transfer them to my 35 FOLR tank.

im glad you moved that acro off the sandbed!

are you dosing calcium? thats a must with SPS corals and might account for some browning.

looks good so far.

I also make my own rock, i was going to say, PH is usually a problem with DIY rock. But your's seems fine.

Ive found keeping a nice PH buffer on hand fixes that up real quick.

Cool tank, nice work! Who makes that bowfront?

Petco special..."El Dorado" something or other...anyway, it's only half glass...broke the back and bottom so I replaced it with lexan...

im glad you moved that acro off the sandbed!

are you dosing calcium? thats a must with SPS corals and might account for some browning.

looks good so far.

I also make my own rock, i was going to say, PH is usually a problem with DIY rock. But your's seems fine.

Ive found keeping a nice PH buffer on hand fixes that up real quick.

Yea, I had the acro down low while acclimating to MH...

I dose with Kent Calcium weekly during water changes...but the browning actually occurred because of some bad water I got: Toxin

I don't have a problem with PH, but I do have to dose Kent Pro dKh buffer to keep it around 9 or 10.

Thanks....kind of bummed out about my Hydnophora though...complete loss in one day, RTN.

Trying to figure out where to put the two montis...was thinking horizontally on the front rock near the top right below the acro.

hxcaquaman

tanks for the advice sctn4elk. I'm removing the bio balls tomorrow after work.

too tired to do it now

• 2 weeks later...

OK, another update for the diary...

Green/Red Mushrooms in Sump (65W 6500k)

DSCN1437.JPG

Red Mushrooms (not doing so hot)

DSCN1438.JPG

Baby PomPom from Mother Colony

DSCN1441.JPG

Red Monti Cap

DSCN1464.JPG

Red Monti Cap and Orange Zoas

DSCN1465.JPG

Red/Green Candy Cane and Zoas

DSCN1476.JPG

ORA Tri Color Acro

DSCN1478.JPG

Yellow Polyp (and new baby) and Green Mushroom

DSCN1539.JPG

PomPom Xenia, Orange Ric and Pavona

DSCN1556.JPG

New Frag

DSCN1557.JPG

New Frags

DSCN1558.JPG

FTS

DSCN1472.JPG

Thanks for looking...

lil'wrasse cool

cool just got a 5 bow today, planned on going with a sump too.. not quite the same way as you but nice to see one for ideas..

Archived