Pod Your Reef

Group buy now open! lab grade thermometers $29.57 shipped

filefish949

filefish949

After an exhaustive search I have found what appears to be the last available ASTM No. 17F lab grade thermometers. These thermometers can be used to calibrate your existing electronics. They retail for over $60 plus shipping in this group buy you can have one for $29.57shipped. These thermometers are 11” long and have a range of 66-80 degrees with 0.2 degree f subdivisions which is perfect for calibrating chillers, heaters and controllers.

The intended use would be for:

Clubs to loan out to members as a benefit of membership

Super nerdy tech heads like me that want the very best

Manufactures for double checking /spot checking production

Retailers and service men to offer calibration services

Repair facilities for troubleshooting

The calibration on these should last indefinitely unless you damage one. Also available and highly recommending a protective armor case for $11.74

There are only 41 of these available, once they are gone, I do not think I can find any more as the industry is moving toward using thermocouples which will do about the same thing but start at $500.

If buying more than one, the price is $26.42 per additional unit and if picking up in person, they are $25.65 each

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
filefish949
What if I wanted to keep my tank at 80.5 because it's hard to get it any lower with MH or something?

well, I would buy a chiller, but if you think your tank is at 80.5 because you have a thermometer that says that but it turns out your thermometer is off by 1.5 degrees, that would put you at 83 degrees. you could for sure adjust your offsett by puting the 17f and your other probe in a glass of water that was 79.8. either way, this sort of accuracy would be more crucial for someone for someone like you who is running on the ragged edge of acceptable temprature.

filefish949
What you consider shipping them to Canada and at what price? Thanks.

. I will ship to canada but you will have to pm me so i can figure actual cost.

filefish949
I may have missed it, but how accurate are the thermometers that you are selling?

2/10ths of a degree or better, probably a lot better. i am also ordering a certified thermometer which I can verify any ofsett in your thermometer with, however you may have to wait a few weeks for the certified thermometer to show up. in all likelyhood these will be within 0.05 degrees F

Ok, I have received a LOT of interest in these FAST. Mostly, where do I send my money?

Send money via paypal to:

five.five-six@hotmail.com

Include in the note to the seller:

The number of thermometers you are buying, and if you are buying the armor

If you are picking up in person, just give me cash at time of pick up but PM me so I can add you to the spreadsheet

*** You have to have a confirmed paypal address, it is just too much trouble for me to ship to unconfirmed addresses, sorry***

I am going to close the group buy at 38 units so I have a few left in case of breakage or mistake on my part

After everything has shipped ok, I will make the remaining thermometers available

Hey... tanks are crashing left and right every day because the temperatures were actually 80.5 instead of 79.5

;)

and +1 to the last part, I mean, if you want a $100+ glass thermometer, go for it...

I have been running my tank at 84 for the past year... I don't see what's the issue. You just need to be constant IMO.

I used to work as an electronics tech in a MILSTD mfg facility. We had to have ALL of our test equipment calibrated to national and military standards. Imagine our frustration when we have the SAME make and model of equipment calibrated on the SAME day at the SAME facility and the all read DIFFERENT things in the SAME chambers.

BAH!!!!!!

It is just like clocks and watches. They will NEVER be exactly the same. Something to shoot for, but............

Another thing about VERY accurate measurement devices. They MUST be calibrated periodically, at least annually, to maintain their accuracy. If you don't (and it AIN'T cheap) you might as well go back to what you have and just watch your self and your setup.

filefish949
Another thing about VERY accurate measurement devices. They MUST be calibrated periodically, at least annually, to maintain their accuracy. If you don't (and it AIN'T cheap) you might as well go back to what you have and just watch your self and your setup.

thet is true of many devices but from what i have read about these, it is not true of mercury thrmometers, at least I have never seen a basal thermometer with a experation date on it, and those are 2-10X as precise as these, and there is human life at stake with a basal thermometer

any ways, will contact the manufacture monday for an exact awnser to your consern

of the original 41, there are only 15 left

The Propagator

Here are the exact spec's from Brannan Laboratory:

ASTM: 17F

IP Equivalent: N/A

Name: SAYBOLT VISCOSITY

Range: +66 +80F

Division: 0.2F

Max Length mm 280

Immersion: TOTAL

Product No.: 59/017/1

And if any one misses this they are $33.90 plus shipping here:

ICL CALICRATION LABORATORIES, Inc.

filefish949

thanks prop. $33.90 is a pretty good deal @ $4.50 more plus shipping, that would only be about 50% more than the GB price of $29.57 shipped

one caveat, as industry is turning to thermocouples, which are great because they are accurate over a vast range and with digital readouts have subdivisions of 0.01 degrees or better, it is just that the entry level thermocouples are over $400, production of glass thermometers is being phased out. right now there are not any more that I can find. I just found out that kengoroo @ RC bought one about a week ago so our order for 41 is now for only 40 and with the other orders we are down to 13 left

this is an odd industry, they are not drop shipped, the distributor orders from the manufacture then ships to the customer. we have an estimated date of May 8 for me to receive them, I will have them all packed up and shipped on Monday the 12, if you are picking up locally, I will drop them off with Ali @ "the amazing reef" in orange as soon as I get them

the point is once these are gone, it will be hard to find one, save the occasional eBay auction

filefish949

Latest update:

The thermometer industry is rather odd, the manufacture would not drop ship and when I went to them for a price quote it was $35 per unit plus shipping, I got a great deal on all remaining 39 of these from a distributor in Texas who just shipped them today. I ordered them over a week ago but they are scheduled to arrive at my house on May 7. This is a big undertaking. For those picking up locally, I will have them at Ali’s “amazing reef” for pickup for the weekend, the ones I am shipping, will be a bit more work. I will start shipping A.S.A.P and will in all likelihood have some out the 8th and 9the and the remainder on Monday the 12th

I want to say thank you to everyone who has participated in the GB and helped make it as streamlined as possible so far, I have heard some GB can be a tremendous amount of work

Also there are 4 left

filefish949

Ok the good the bad and the ugly

Good:

They showed up today, I got a chance to play around with them. I tested

10 and they were all +/- 0.05 degrees except 1, which was off by just over

0.1 degrees, so I am going to test them all, and any that are more than

0.05 off from the mean will be sold somewhere else. Do not worry, there

are more than enough to cover every prepaid order how ever if you just

pm'd me "I'll take one" and were going to pay when you P/U over at Ali's,

you may not want to be the last to pick up , there were 10 of you, but

not to worry, there are 4 left plus 2 I held in reserve and at a 10%

substandard rate, we will be fine

Bad:

Turns out my ACIII was reading my tank to be .6 degrees cooler than it is

and my JBJ artica chiller was reading 1.5 degrees cooler

Ugly:

The armor cases do not fit the 17F and it appears that there are none

available that do. I have contacted the vendor who is contacting VEE GEE

to see if they have an armor that works

a) After using these, it turns out that it would be much simpler to read

them without the armor on, there is a slide marker that would not fit

under the armor. What I found worked well was to submerge the

thermometer, and then rotate it to the best angle to read it, and then

slide the marker to mark your reading, then read the marker

B) we had a discussion about using metal armor in the reef chemistry

forum, while the consensus was that it is safe for short term calibration,

prudence would dictate calibrating in a separate container and not

risking contamination

c) they come in a decent plastic container, and if handled carefully,

should last a lifetime

So unless there are any serious objections, I am going to return

everyone’s money on the armor, via paypal, and start shipping this week.

If you wish to opt out of the GB because of this, LMK ASAP and I will

honor that as well

Archived