ReefCleaners.org

Kuianai's 24g Aquapod

kuianai

New Additions

Today I picked up a feather duster with a brown and white crown, one head frogspawn and a zoa/paly rock. At least I think they are palys. I couldn't capture all the colors on that rock. Here are the pics along with a FTS.

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00493.jpg

DSC00494.jpg

DSC00497.jpg

DSC00499.jpg

DSC00502.jpg

Nice pics Robin. Your tank is really coming along. Where did you get the frag rack? I need to get one of those.

I love your zoas. I need to get some more. I would like to get some PPP's, but I needed a ATO more.

Any new corals since these?

Ellen

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yayyy! Ellen is back! Where you been at girl and how have you been?!!

Thanks for the compliments. I haven't added anything new yet. I really want to though but haven't seen anything locally worth buying and my crazy work schedule makes it hard for me to order online. I'm working on it though. It does help in the "being patient" part of this hobby. :D I did move where the frags are and I do have new pics to add. My pc died a couple of weeks ago and the new puter arrived two days ago. I'll get to uploading new pics from the camera on Tuesday. This is my work weekend unfortunately. Everything is looking nice and happy in the tank.

I got the frag rack from a fellow Nano-Reef member named Daniel. Here's his site.

http://www.mag-racks.com/index.htm

Here's his thread.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;hl=frag++rack

Robin

Yayyy! Ellen is back! Where you been at girl and how have you been?!!

Thanks for the compliments. I haven't added anything new yet. I really want to though but haven't seen anything locally worth buying and my crazy work schedule makes it hard for me to order online. I'm working on it though. It does help in the "being patient" part of this hobby. :D I did move where the frags are and I do have new pics to add. My pc died a couple of weeks ago and the new puter arrived two days ago. I'll get to uploading new pics from the camera on Tuesday. This is my work weekend unfortunately. Everything is looking nice and happy in the tank.

I got the frag rack from a fellow Nano-Reef member named Daniel. Here's his site.

http://www.mag-racks.com/index.htm

Here's his thread.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;hl=frag++rack

Robin

hey Robin,

It is great to be back. Work has had me super busy. I am an entomologist for the USDA, and summer is our busy season for research. We have to cram most of our work into the few months that the insects are active.

Thanks for the link to the frag rack. You are right about needing patience. I am sure your tank will be that much better off since you are adding live stock slowly. I originally bought a pair of ocellaris clowns for my 39g from PA, but they died one week later. I left the tank fishless for 10 weeks just in case they had anything that might infect any other fish. The pods and other little creatures went crazy!!! I just have 2 fish in there now and I think that may be all I add.

I mentioned Dr. Macs in my tank thread as a great place to get corals so you should check it out.

Looking forward to seeing your new pics!

Ellen

• 1 month later...

It's time for an update. Between me coming home and finding my pc had died, to getting a new one, to being busy at work and to getting a new camera, I've finally gotten everything back in order to updating this thread. I've added some zoas and a tiny ric which I have in a shot glass atm. Here's some new pics for everyone. Enjoy!

121.jpg

I call this one Astrea under the moonlight.

127.jpg

The new fts!

133.jpg

Zoa frags

134.jpg

Zoa Colony

131.jpg

Frogspawn

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Your tank is looking good girl! I love your zoas. I really want to get some more for my tank. I need some orange.

Do you have any fish in there yet?

Thanks Ellen! I wish I had some great growth shots like yours but the majority of the corals in there are fairly new. I did take your advice about Dr. Macs and a few of my newer zoas came from them. They have some great stuff and the service is wonderful. I got in a shipment of three rics yesterday from another sponsor and they are chillin out in shot glasses atm. Once they attach to the disks, I'll snap some pics of them. But you must have been reading my mind. I was just thinking today how I need to some fish in there. I know that I want either a flasher or fairy wrasse, but I haven't figured out what else to get or if it'll just be that one fish. Oh well, it'll come to me one day. Anyways, glad to see you back on here!

Robin

• 3 months later...

I haven't updated this thread in awhile. I haven't added any new corals but I did change the lighting to T5's a couple of months ago and I also added a couple of pieces of rock. I'm still working on the bulb choices. The color is kinda too blue for me atm. That's about it. Enjoy the pics and thanks for lookiing.

005.jpg

006.jpg

001.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

010.jpg

014-1.jpg

whitetigerfish

What did u dislike about the sunpod? Was it getting too hot? I have the aquapod 24 also and am using stock lights with no heat issues so I just wanted to see what options were best without getting too hot. I like MH but want actinic options as well lol. Awesome tank corals and inverts but didnt see ur wrasse?

Actually I didn't dislike the Sunpod. I was able to control the temp swings alot better with the Sunpod and a fan than with the stock hood. It does get hot though and I didn't need a heater with it on. You will have to do top offs or get an ATO once you remove the hood. I wanted to try out the T5's for the actinics (I missed them) and the fact that I could play with the colors. There is no added heat from the lights so I had to hook my heater back up. Also the fact that all I have in my tank right now is low to medium light corals helped that decision.

Thanks for the compliments! I didn't get the wrasse yet. It's still on my wish list. :)

Robin

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey Knoxvegas,

It's still running. Sorry for the lack of updates. My crazy work hours have been keeping me away. I'll add new pictures when I get a chance to take some. Thanks for asking!

• 1 month later...
bhskicker18

I noticed you are using Live Rock from Premium Aquatics. If you don't mind me asking, what shipping did you use and was it good quality live rock? I'm searching for some Live Rock and I don't know if I want to order from Premium Aquatics or not. Your input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Will

ps: please PM me the info. Thanks

Hey nice tank. I think your Coraline algae will soon start to fade in color due to the intensity of the MH. I happened to me and my friends tank he also got a sunpod. The coraline will still be there but will turn whiter.

• 7 months later...

Hey..

Tank still going? Mine's on the selling block right now. Clammy died and I got invaded by some coral which took over the tank. Stopped the Sunpod and tank went to pot. It's running with a bazillion worms and other things that bite in the nite but thats about it at this point. Clownfish survives.

I decided to stick with freshwater.

Ellen

• 4 months later...

Hey Ellen! The tank is still going. Actually, it's been on auto-pilot for the past year and I am just now in the process of trying to get it back in better shape. I'm still enjoying my nano tank though over my freshwater tanks. I took down my 55g fw and my hubby took over the 70g fw for me. My work hours are really crazy now and I can't handle the upkeep of 3 tanks.

Robin

Archived