ReefCleaners.org

An Acan Fragging Session

Weetabix7

I just fragged an Acan for the first time with BibleSue.

It was interesting, and not all that difficult, although the real test will be how well the fragged pieces look tomorrow and the next day!

The piece we fragged is the Acan on the left in the picture below:

IMG_0422.jpg

Here are the tools we used. A dremel with diamond cut-off wheel, a salt-encrusted flat head screwdriver, and an Xacto knife. One tool we used that isn't pictured is a pair of bone-cutters.

IMG_0501.jpg

I just took the dremel and sliced right into the tip, not worrying about where the individual mouths or anything were.

When the dremel had cut most of the way through, I stuck the screwdriver into the chasm I had just cut and just knocked it the rest of the way through.

IMG_0505.jpg

At this point all of the skeleton had been detached from the main piece but there was still some flesh holding on, so I used the Xacto knife to slice through the remaining attached flesh.

The fragged piece was immediately placed in a SW iodine dip for approx. 3 mins, as pictured below:

IMG_0498.jpg

After it was removed from the dip, it was immediately superglued to a frag plug and placed in a container with tankwater for the superglue to cure.

IMG_0499.jpg

There was a great deal of sliming as a defense mechanism from the coral, and the frags were swished around fairly vigorously to remove as much slime as possible before being placed in a high flow area of the prop tank.

We ended up with a total of 4 frags when finished.

I apologize for the reflective areas in the pic on the top two frags, this is actually the flash reflecting off of the white cross-section of the interior skeleton.

IMG_0509.jpg

I will try to post tomorrow on how the new frags are doing.

Awesome. I have been wanting to try this but been a little nervous. Can't wait to see how they do. Guess this means I have no reason not to try fragging mine. :P

I just fragged an Acan for the first time with BibleSue.

It was interesting, and not all that difficult, although the real test will be how well the fragged pieces look tomorrow and the next day!

The piece we fragged is the Acan on the left in the picture below:

IMG_0422.jpg

Here are the tools we used. A dremel with diamond cut-off wheel, a salt-encrusted flat head screwdriver, and an Xacto knife. One tool we used that isn't pictured is a pair of bone-cutters.

IMG_0501.jpg

I just took the dremel and sliced right into the tip, not worrying about where the individual mouths or anything were.

When the dremel had cut most of the way through, I stuck the screwdriver into the chasm I had just cut and just knocked it the rest of the way through.

IMG_0505.jpg

At this point all of the skeleton had been detached from the main piece but there was still some flesh holding on, so I used the Xacto knife to slice through the remaining attached flesh.

The fragged piece was immediately placed in a SW iodine dip for approx. 3 mins, as pictured below:

IMG_0498.jpg

After it was removed from the dip, it was immediately superglued to a frag plug and placed in a container with tankwater for the superglue to cure.

IMG_0499.jpg

There was a great deal of sliming as a defense mechanism from the coral, and the frags were swished around fairly vigorously to remove as much slime as possible before being placed in a high flow area of the prop tank.

We ended up with a total of 4 frags when finished.

I apologize for the reflective areas in the pic on the top two frags, this is actually the flash reflecting off of the white cross-section of the interior skeleton.

IMG_0509.jpg

I will try to post tomorrow on how the new frags are doing.

Great post. Acan usually recovers pretty well no matter how you cut it ... unless you are just trying to kill it with a thousand cuts ...

Thank you Weetabix!

So you just cut right through the skeleton? Or did you move the flesh aside and cut the rock underneath?

I ask because I have a 30 head xmas tree (red with green stripes) one that I would like to break up a bit as its grown all over the rock so some parts of it don't get good light and its a PITA to feed...

Here is a photo of them:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...st&id=38393

Do you think this would work with Blasto's as well? Also in the photo you can see my xmas tree blasto with 4 new heads I am feeding and wanting to frag off..

I just cut right through the skeleton.

Keep in mind that this is the first time I've fragged an Acan and that Acan's have a good reputation for being easy to frag and recovering well.

Susan just told me that all the frags we made are looking good though.

While I haven't done it before, I suspect that fragging the Xmas tree would be the same, just from an observation of the coral and of frags that I've seen of Xmas tree, including one that I have.

I think that fragging a Blasto would be different though, and that you would have to be more careful with them.

Is the Blasto you're referring to a Blasto Wellsi or Blasto Merletti?

I think Blasto Merletti would be a little easier to frag, and Blasto Wellsi has a reputation for being a little more sensitive.

Waitaminnit, are you talking about a Xmas Tree Favia or Xmas Tree Acan? I looked at your pic but couldn't tell. Either way, I think the fragging of that one would be the same as what I did.

Awesome job! I just fragged an acan too! I did it last night. It was my first time doing it also. Luckily I have access to a tile saw so I just pushed one through that. It seemed to work pretty well. Except for getting splattered a little with tile saw water and acan flesh.

What are you going to do with the frags? I see no point of taking apart a larger piece of coral and then having more small pieces. Are you selling them/giving them away? :D

What are you going to do with the frags? I see no point of taking apart a larger piece of coral and then having more small pieces. Are you selling them/giving them away? :D

They are BibleSue's from her prop tank, and she will be selling them.

I just cut right through the skeleton.

Interesting. I thought that preserving the skeleton/head was important...

While I haven't done it before, I suspect that fragging the Xmas tree would be the same, just from an observation of the coral and of frags that I've seen of Xmas tree, including one that I have.

I think that fragging a Blasto would be different though, and that you would have to be more careful with them.

Thats what I am afraid of. Ultimately I would want to remove the heads without taking rock with them...

Is the Blasto you're referring to a Blasto Wellsi or Blasto Merletti?

I think Blasto Merletti would be a little easier to frag, and Blasto Wellsi has a reputation for being a little more sensitive.

Its a Wellsi. I am not a big fan of Merletti. I have three color morphs of the Wellsi and have another two on the way. I love the bloody things!

Waitaminnit, are you talking about a Xmas Tree Favia or Xmas Tree Acan? I looked at your pic but couldn't tell. Either way, I think the fragging of that one would be the same as what I did.

I thought I was buying a Acan and from the look of it is an Acan but now I am not sure... Anyone? I will see about a better photo...

Thank you again Weetabix!

They are BibleSue's from her prop tank, and she will be selling them.

Good! That makes since. I just hate seeing a big piece of something cut up.

Awesome job! I just fragged an acan too! I did it last night. It was my first time doing it also. Luckily I have access to a tile saw so I just pushed one through that. It seemed to work pretty well. Except for getting splattered a little with tile saw water and acan flesh.

I know exactly what you mean!

I would definitely recommend keeping one's mouth closed while doing this unless you want some really nasty stuff to end up in it! I had to wipe stuff off my face a couple of times.

Good! That makes since. I just hate seeing a big piece of something cut up.

Not cutting it up would sort of defeat the purpose since it's from a prop tank!!!

That's not really what I ment. It's hard to explain. I would love to have a prop tank. I guess I ment to say I hate seeing a piece of coral cut up and not sell it of trade it. I just like big pieces better then small pieces.

That's not really what I ment. It's hard to explain. I would love to have a prop tank. I guess I ment to say I hate seeing a piece of coral cut up and not sell it of trade it. I just like big pieces better then small pieces.

Oh, okay, I see what you're saying now, that makes sense.

UH, I'm heading out of town to go back home in a bit, but if I don't remember to give you more input on your particular situation later, PM me.

Oh, okay, I see what you're saying now, that makes sense.

UH, I'm heading out of town to go back home in a bit, but if I don't remember to give you more input on your particular situation later, PM me.

Thank you Weetabix!

UH

lilredneckman
I can't wait 'til you gals put these frags up for sale, I'm almost postive I'll buy one if it's a fair price! :D

There is a slight chance i would be too!

Wo does $100 a head sound? :lol: JK I'll let you know when they are healed & I decide which ones to sell & which ones to continue to grow out for later.

Let me know when you do too. I would definitely be interested. I am gonna try it this weekend and I will let you know how it goes. I suppose I will take some pictures too.

Had to edit my scary looking english.

Let me know when you do too. I would definitely be interested. I am gonna try it this weekend and I will let you know how it goes. I suppose I will take some pictures too.

Had to edit my scary looking english.

You love frogfish, huh?

Can you tell from my sig that I do too?

I'm assuming English is your second language, from your comment.

Where do you live?

Archived