Pod Your Reef

Pistol shrimp....reef safe..correct?

Goonter

I'm not actually sure where it all came from, I got it from three different sources, some is Jakarta some is cultured and the last one I don't know, but I have never heard him make a noise it took a month to even notice it was there, and i spent alot of time staring at the rocks but it looked exactly like the pic in the ID thread by HC. I think i'll leave him be until he misbehaves, who knows, could save me the $50 my lfs wants for a shrimp goby pair

Thanks for your help all!!

Edited by Eyford01
  • 10 months later...

I'm in a similar situation that Eyford was in. So if it makes a noise, is that a good thing or a bad thing? I've captured 2 little baby pistol shrimp in my tank so far, but there's still snapping going on elsewhere in the tank. It's just a 5 gallon, so I'm worried i might have a multitude of dangerous shrimp in a pretty small area. I think most of my rock is aquacultured from the gulf, but a couple pieces are from the south pacific.

• 7 years later...

I would not advise to get any type of pistol shrimp, I had a bullseye one on its own, also with two platinum clownfish and when I went to check my tank the pistol shrimp had one in its mouth, this was a bad experience for me and very costly. I would not like other people go through this.

Reef safeness varies with the species. I had a small caribbean hitchhiker pistol shrimp that shared his home with two brittle stars before my tank meltdown, he was a secretive little guy and stayed out of trouble. I also wouldn’t classify tigers as 100% reef safe as I’ve read about them going on murder sprees quite a few times.