Top Shelf Aquatics

NRF's 46 Bow

Needreefunds

I put a piece of egg crate over it after two fish jumped out. It defuses the light a little but each side is different if you look from the side you'll notice the taper. I have mine on the side that makes the light more focused, the other spreads it out.

It doesn't follow the bend to well but its cut where it covers the entire top.

Those are great shots, mind if I ask what type of camera your using?

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stoney waters

Hey Richie,

Just got your PM.

Maybe you could try this. Egg crate over the top with knock outs for the over the top equipment. Cut out the center to form what looks like a euro brace then find a way to attach the netting I sent you. Maybe small zip ties or adhesive. I have used egg crate alone before and still had small wrasses and jaw fish make it through. The holes are just too large.

Needreefunds
I put a piece of egg crate over it after two fish jumped out. It defuses the light a little but each side is different if you look from the side you'll notice the taper. I have mine on the side that makes the light more focused, the other spreads it out.

It doesn't follow the bend to well but its cut where it covers the entire top.

Those are great shots, mind if I ask what type of camera your using?

Thanks for the thoughts Sky. I had thought of using the crate, but did not want to suffer any light loss.

I recently picked up a used Canon XT. Still trying to sort it all out though. Thanks for the kind words. :)

Needreefunds
Hey Richie,

Just got your PM.

Maybe you could try this. Egg crate over the top with knock outs for the over the top equipment. Cut out the center to form what looks like a euro brace then find a way to attach the netting I sent you. Maybe small zip ties or adhesive. I have used egg crate alone before and still had small wrasses and jaw fish make it through. The holes are just too large.

Hey Stone!

As I said to Sky, I did think of trying the crate...BUT......did not think of the euro design..I like that.

I am right in the middle of throwing in the towel on what I have built....( frame, similar to yours....smaller all around to allow for HOB items and with this flexible 1/4" Merflex faucet connector piping I am trying to attach.

It looks very ghetto and actually may well find its way to the curb very soon. :D

Thanks Stoney, Stevie and Sky for the ideas. Its folks like you that make NR what it is. :bowdown:

Needreefunds
Your tank is awesome! Your doing really good things.

Thanks for the kind words Wade, glad you like it.

Not before posting pics. :)

LOL, OK, I promise....working on it right now.....

Needreefunds

Ok here is the sorry looking attempt to take care of my little jumper.

It is odd shaped and off center due to the oft running HOT magnum on the left side.

If I decide to keep it I will probably hit it with a couple quick shots of Krylon black.

062.jpg

060.jpg

058.jpg

Gotta love my new camera. Picks up every spec of dust and salt creep there is... <_< .....should use this thing on CSI or something..... :P

So there you go. Thanks again guys. :happy:

BTW, Linear Blenny was active and even eating by days end...amazing. B)

Yo! It looks like you could have made a slick frame out of black acrylic with a clear center brace. :D;) Then flipped it over, layed the black netting on it. Then took silicone and glued the net to the acrylic..Zip tied to the clear center brace "to keep it clean looking". A little time with a cardboard pattern and a jig saw you could be done. Good thing about this is you could cut the frame to fit exactaly around your equipment.

Needreefunds
Yo! It looks like you could have made a slick frame out of black acrylic with a clear center brace. :D;) Then flipped it over, layed the black netting on it. Then took silicone and glued the net to the acrylic..Zip tied to the clear center brace "to keep it clean looking". A little time with a cardboard pattern and a jig saw you could be done. Good thing about this is you could cut the frame to fit exactaly around your equipment.

Not bad either Josh.....Why even have a clear center brace? I have a black center brace on the tank already , just go with the flow. Hmmm Could even have "knock out" plugs for the HOT Magnum, ya know have a couple little tabs that a removable section would hold in place when I have the HOT running on another tank.....wheels are turning...(you guys smell smoke? :huh: )

What I have will do for now, but I like this idea Josh.

Now to see where I can get the material locally.

Depending on thickness, perhaps I could keep the netting in place with some edge trim ( trimloc ) ...may be a bit too bulky tho..

Or you could get a square tank.

But really, If it works just stick with it.

:lol:

Would love to combine them all into a 120 or 180......but would have to get rid of the widescreen, plus , perhaps sleep in the shed as well. :happy:

Would love to combine them all into a 120 or 180......but would have to get rid of the widescreen, plus , perhaps sleep in the shed as well. :happy:

Toughen up "nancy"!!! :lol:

;)

Well I didnt know that tank had a center brace. You know you can get all you need at lowes. Just get clear acrylic. No need for it to be cast. Cut it to the shape you need. Lightly sand the bottom to give the silicon a rough surface to grab on. It will hold dont worry about that. Then paint the top black with Krylon fuzion. Now you got a custom acrylic net top. Let me know when you get it done and I'll send you one of my company stickers to put on it. :P

Needreefunds
Toughen up "nancy"!!! :lol:

;)

meh, kinda :owned:

Well I didnt know that tank had a center brace. You know you can get all you need at lowes. Just get clear acrylic. No need for it to be cast. Cut it to the shape you need. Lightly sand the bottom to give the silicon a rough surface to grab on. It will hold dont worry about that. Then paint the top black with Krylon fuzion. Now you got a custom acrylic net top. Let me know when you get it done and I'll send you one of my company stickers to put on it. :P

Or you could just build one as a prototype, I will test it and advertise it for you.

(I will pay for shipping, naturally.)

And hey, by all means, put your logo on it, geez.

nanoreefnate

i love the tank! lol you rockwork looks like mine before i rescaped last week and its seems that our tank have both gone through a lot. good luck and ill be tagging along

Needreefunds
i love the tank! lol you rockwork looks like mine before i rescaped last week and its seems that our tank have both gone through a lot. good luck and ill be tagging along

Yes it has, no question.

Thanks Nate! Nice to have you. :)

nanoreefnate
Yes it has, no question.

Thanks Nate! Nice to have you. :)

lol i had i typo "our tankS not tank lol sooory looking forward to your updated!

Needreefunds
:lol: Hows it suppose to be a prototype if you are gonna use it as the final product?

Says who?? You may come up with ways to make it better....I have complete faith in you buddy! :P

I will also test run the subsequent versions, free of charge. ;)

Needreefunds
you make me chuckle.

:lol: Well then, my job is done! :lol:

I'll make it for ya at cost. ;)

Now, what fun would that be?

Very nice of you to offer tho, thanks ! :happy:

Less chit chat, moar pichers, plz. :flower:

But...chit is what I do best..... -_-

haha Lalani

Less talk moar action :P men sheesh

Ladies, please! There is PLENTY to go 'round..... ;)

I'll get some soon, try to anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

ummm..wha happeneded to the pix playa' playa'

I do really like the 46 bows and am contiplating switching my scratched up 40 long to this size

• 2 weeks later...

Wowwww Richie! Why have I not gone through this thread before now? :huh: Beatiful job!!!

Quick question though...I see you have 2 Ocellaris (I think) AND 2 Maroon Clowns? I love the Maroon Clowns too...but I thought they were aggressive little stinkers that will bully other clowns? Am I wrong?

Archived