Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

FREE CUSTOM ACRYLIC TANK CONTEST!

zhubbell

i am designing one right now i think you will like. it uses the fuge as the last chamber. it's taken me all day, and i will repost in an hour.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i cant believe that no one has said something like this but a gyre tank... this is what i could do with MS paint and sorry i dont have anything to bribe with... i dont know if many people are firmiluar (sp? (im a horrible speller)) with this style of tank but its a way to get mass water movement using a divider either horizontal or vertical in the tank with a pump, or in this case 2, to pump water and create a mass of water moving... in this case you will have a platform connected to the front and back of the tank and not the sides under which will sit two maxi-jets facing opposite directions on a timer, 1 hour one way one hour the other, it would be a tall tank in over all height but really will only be 12-14 inches in usuable height with 5-6 inches of gyre space under the main platform... it will be sps dominated and will have a 250 MH above it

gyertankthingy-1.jpg

the gyre portion would be covered so you couldnt see it black plexi or hidden in stand

EDIT: all of the ones your getting submitted seemed to be kind of in the box thinking... i was just thinking about something that is in very large tanks that i havent really seen in small tanks...

Shoot me_, has the best design if you ask me. I would have wanted the same thing and how many peninsula AIO have you seen out there. Hope he wins.

Definetly something I'd like to do! not sure I can afford to undertake that as a free project at the moment, but I'd absolutely LOVE to build it for you, and you could come over before I you wanted, check out some of my tanks, whatever - I also specialize in Sump/Fuges, and am partnered with a Co. in Cali designing some really awesome sumps with built in ATO resevoirs, dosing chambers, long thin fuges, ya know, we have it set up for split plumbing so the water that goes through the fuge travels slower than the whole turn over rate - the whole 9 yards. None of our models are really big enough for that right now, but Im sure wed be willing to redesign one along the same lines to your specs. I also know a guy whos building a stand for me REAL cheap, but REALLY nicely, I have a thread started, and as soon as I get pics, I"ll put them up, if You'd be interested in doing the whole thing.

Sounds good man I'll be in touch. Definitely interested in the whole package so post pics of the stand when you get a chance.

So what do you think of doing 1" acrylic braceless on a 48" tank? Do you foresee bowing issues? Take a look at this:

DSC00608.jpg

48x27x14 built by envision

Sounds good man I'll be in touch. Definitely interested in the whole package so post pics of the stand when you get a chance.

So what do you think of doing 1" acrylic braceless on a 48" tank? Do you foresee bowing issues? Take a look at this:

DSC00608.jpg

48x27x14 built by envision

BOwing at 1"? haha - NEVER man

I build a 30" tall, 36" long tank, braceless, 3/8", barely bowed after quite a few months - i knew it was pushing it, i just wanted to wait to put the bracers on to see just how neccesary they were at those dimensions.

Anyway - looks sweet, and i really hope to work on your next tank for you

i have by far the best tank design for a nano-fan. 96x12x12T. Instead of only having a small nano average size usually around 12" wide 12" deep and 12" tall, This tank gives you the best of all worlds. Its like one really really really really long nano. It only uses one piece of acrylic (basically....1 full sheet is 96x48) also you then you could make the entire tank out of one sheet. All 5 sides and overflows. I think you could make it work just eurobracing it and still have enough for all the extra pieces.

If i were to design it, and have it made, i would have 2 external overflows. Then i would drill the back about 4 times(CL). I would only use 2 pumps for this tank. 1 return and 1 CL pump. I would probably use valves for each return of the CL just to get the flow perfect. I would light it with 4-8 T-5 bulbs, and would stock it with 3 nems (different species of clowns hosting in each). Lots and lots of shrimp gobies and dartfish. And maybe even a school of small reef chromis. Lots of Rics, zoos, and LPS.

If you wanted it to be a AIO tank, just imagine the refugium, and all the media you could stuff behind the tank.

Also, if i win......i will personally come and get the tank myself! I have family in Chicago and i know you said you deliver there!

Plus nobody has a tank like this at all. Not even close!

Let me know if i've won Zack!! :lol:;):D:lol:

This is a tempting design......

the only thigns that come to mind are A. i usually only deal in 4x4, occasionally 4x6 sheets, but it wouldn't be so much a problem of gettin it, but I'd have to pay for the cuts to be made, because my drill set up wont handle over 6ft w/o risking losing accuracy...

I am however still considering it...

I do really really like the idea.

consider yourself being considered.

ok, so here is just one of my designs. I'm a google sketchup freak! It is a 33g tank, with a 12g sump/fuge.

customtankFTScopy.jpg

customtankLVcopy.jpg

customtankbottomcopy.jpg

customtanksumpFVcopy.jpg

customtanksumpcopy.jpg

Some Tech Specs

-Drain is a 1" bulkhead

-Returns are .5" bulkheads; my reasoning is that there are two and this will help with head loss as more pressure will be inside the pvc or vinly tubing, thus more than one pump can accomplish a good GPH.

-Tank is made out of 3/4" cell cast; I don't do acrylic so i don't know if this is accurate or if it should be 1".

-Sump is made out of 1/2" cell cast

-Overflow is made out of 1/4" cellcast

-The overflow and the whole back is Black or Blue. \

-Teeth on the overflow are: 3/4"x1/8"x1/4"

-Baffles in the sump are 1/8" cell cast

Features

-100% custom

-Fully working system out of box (needs pumps and plumbing)

-Easy lighting, 24" is a standard size for many types of lighting

-Awesome 1/2 octagon overflow

-Large sump, used as fuge and a skimmer chamber; also easy to light

I'm working on a drawing that will eliminate the need for equipment in the display tank, so this is not a final drawing, more of a basic sketch.

This is a tempting design......

the only thigns that come to mind are A. i usually only deal in 4x4, occasionally 4x6 sheets, but it wouldn't be so much a problem of gettin it, but I'd have to pay for the cuts to be made, because my drill set up wont handle over 6ft w/o risking losing accuracy...

I am however still considering it...

I do really really like the idea.

consider yourself being considered.

woohoo! I am being considered!!

ok, so here is just one of my designs. I'm a google sketchup freak! It is a 33g tank, with a 12g sump/fuge.

Some Tech Specs

-Drain is a 1" bulkhead

-Returns are .5" bulkheads; my reasoning is that there are two and this will help with head loss as more pressure will be inside the pvc or vinly tubing, thus more than one pump can accomplish a good GPH.

-Tank is made out of 3/4" cell cast; I don't do acrylic so i don't know if this is accurate or if it should be 1".

Features

-100% custom

I'm working on a drawing that will eliminate the need for equipment in the display tank, so this is not a final drawing, more of a basic sketch.

trust me man, 1" would be a waste of money for zhubbel. i have a 285g on 3/4"

i have by far the best tank design for a nano-fan. 96x12x12T. Instead of only having a small nano average size usually around 12" wide 12" deep and 12" tall, This tank gives you the best of all worlds. Its like one really really really really long nano. It only uses one piece of acrylic (basically....1 full sheet is 96x48) also you then you could make the entire tank out of one sheet. All 5 sides and overflows. I think you could make it work just eurobracing it and still have enough for all the extra pieces.

If i were to design it, and have it made, i would have 2 external overflows. Then i would drill the back about 4 times(CL). I would only use 2 pumps for this tank. 1 return and 1 CL pump. I would probably use valves for each return of the CL just to get the flow perfect. I would light it with 4-8 T-5 bulbs, and would stock it with 3 nems (different species of clowns hosting in each). Lots and lots of shrimp gobies and dartfish. And maybe even a school of small reef chromis. Lots of Rics, zoos, and LPS.

If you wanted it to be a AIO tank, just imagine the refugium, and all the media you could stuff behind the tank.

Also, if i win......i will personally come and get the tank myself! I have family in Chicago and i know you said you deliver there!

Plus nobody has a tank like this at all. Not even close!

Let me know if i've won Zack!! :lol:;):D:lol:

Someones confident :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Its a good start, but, its pretty the same as one ofthe tanks I first designed/built.

This new one I'm building will have some improvements on what you have there, at least in my opinion.

the sump/fuge that I have posted as you will read on the thread is not perfect yet, its a temporary one I made out of a spare, but I'll post the specs for what Im going to put under it eventually.

Not bad though

customtankFTScopy.jpg

customtankLVcopy.jpg

customtankbottomcopy.jpg

customtanksumpFVcopy.jpg

customtanksumpcopy.jpg

Some Tech Specs

-Drain is a 1" bulkhead

Features

-100% custom

"Someones confident "

Who wouldn't enjoy setting up, aquascaping, stocking, scooting around back and forth on a rollable chair viewing this tank! The only thing better would to make it 120" instead!

okay, i uploaded pics

fts

front.jpg

front

FROMoftank.jpg

back plumbing.

backplumbing.jpg

the thing on top is the fuge. it also works as a waterfall for the return into the tank. it seemed to me you liked that general idea, so i drew on up for you. could you maybe comment on improving the design of the tank?

abe - i like the look of the tank at a glance, I'll look at it more carefully later - busy day.

I just wanted to get this up though its a design that my company builds with another company - its what I'm ganna put under my new tank I"m building eventually.

anyone got any feedback?

1207763769.jpg

obviously the wall between the fuge and central area is a wall with overflow teeth carved in on the right end of the wall.

abe - i like the look of the tank at a glance, I'll look at it more carefully later - busy day.

I just wanted to get this up though its a design that my company builds with another company - its what I'm ganna put under my new tank I"m building eventually.

anyone got any feedback?

1207763769.jpg

COOL. i like how the ATO resovoir is integrated. really good design for a sump.

"Someones confident "

Who wouldn't enjoy setting up, aquascaping, stocking, scooting around back and forth on a rollable chair viewing this tank! The only thing better would to make it 120" instead!

That's true

I think I'm gonna make plans for a smaller tank that way I have a better chance of winning B)

Personally I think something simple is a great way to go. My choice would be a drilled 30"w by 25" deep by 12" tall. I think this tank would make an incredibly cool reef setup with a big central pile of rocks lit by a single halide and T5 supplements around the sides.

"Cube" style tanks always look great though IMO.

Ok i'm no architect . lol I'm in a situation right now that many of us have been or will be. I have some clownfish that has juvies were getting along very well but now it breaks my heart having to sell 2 of those because a war has started. If i would have a tank split in half like the one in the drawing below, i could have kept my clownfish. Here's my drawing.

Prsentation2.gif

Ok i'm no architect . lol I'm in a situation right now that many of us have been or will be. I have some clownfish that has juvies were getting along very well but now it breaks my heart having to sell 2 of those because a war has started. If i would have a tank split in half like the one in the drawing below, i could have kept my clownfish. Here's my drawing.

Prsentation2.gif

for that, you could go to an lfs and buy a display tank for 80. get a sump for 20 at petco, and you have a fine tank for your clowns...

Ok I made new plans for a smaller tank it's 30'' in Length 24'' in Depth 12'' in Height. With built in filtration and refugeum.

Pics

waf.jpg

df.jpg

sdgsgd.jpg

for that, you could go to an lfs and buy a display tank for 80. get a sump for 20 at petco, and you have a fine tank for your clowns...

The idea is exactly not having to set up another tank. I have a 65 gallons and it's in there that the war started. I've already got another 18 gallons tank with 2 clowns in it. If i had one tank that could hold 2 couples i wouldn't have to sell 2 of my clowns. My boyfriend would have a fit if i was to try to get a 80 gallons in the house. 2 tanks is the most he'll go for. And i live in a rural area with no big fish stores so any tank here is very expensive.

Anyway, this was my idea for a little acrylic tank. I tought this thread was to post your ideas for tanks, not to be juged by other than Zach.

Maeda Modern Nano Concept.

nanoconcept1.jpg

36x22x16"

Stand with integrated overflow box 'cover' cord keeper, and light stand.

Accommodates MH or T5HO lighting

nanoconcept2.jpg

Overflow box holds filter media, a variety of skimmers, as well as a return pump, and the back half for tunze/koralia magnets.

nanoconcept3.jpg

The overflow box cover doubles as a cord keeper. A notch in the tank allows cords from equiptment to be drapped over the edge of the tank, covered by the overflow cover. U shaped hole accommodates adjustable loc-line to be installed through the box, keeping things coming from the return pump tidy.

nanoconcept4.jpg

All of these pieces, allow for a tank with no visible equipment and no visible wires. For those with tremendous flow needs, koralia's or tunze nano's can be attached in the overflow box with their cords out of site.

Two days ago I was thinking I would like to make a new tank for my desk at work and then I stumbled across this thread! It looks like a lot of people are requesting min reef tanks and not too many nano size tanks.

Currently I have a 2.5 gallon with custom hood and HOB filter.

I was thinking I would like an all in tank in tank with close to the same volume, with display dimensions of about 12 inches wide 8 inches deep, and 8 inches tall and then the rear area would be about three inches deep. There would be an overflow to the rear and then the return would be split to two outlets. I think I will use a 12 inch 2x18 watt PC fixture on top, heater in the rear. It will be a mixed reef with maybe a small goby.

Please see one of my 2.5 gallon tanks below, it was one of my favorite setups.

Jerome

1P1300004.jpg

Archived