Pod Your Reef

FREE CUSTOM ACRYLIC TANK CONTEST!

zhubbell

elbowdonkey

Had a *long* conference call today and found myself noodling in Sketchup to avoid falling asleep.

Here's an all in one with a concealed AquaC EV-120, a refugium, a built in top-off reservoir, and a lid to cover it all.

I wasn't in the mood to put in the teeth for the overflow or the refugium, but they'd be there.

Because the skimmer's output can't be underwater, the maximum "sump" depth needs to be about 7 inches. The overflow box let's me route water quietly to the skimmer chamber using the two bulkheads and some flex piping. Water exiting the tank and the skimmer travel through the baffles and end up in the return pump chamber.

The return pump is a Mag 9.5. The tee is where I'd route water to the skimmer input using 3/4" flex pvc along with a gate valve to keep the GPH at 500 for the skimmer.

The remaining water enters the refugium which has teeth allowing flow (and critters) directly into the main tank. The refugium water level will remain the same as the main tank.

Main tank flow would need to be handled by some Korialias - the return pump alone wouldn't do the trick.

A bulkhead in the ATO reservoir at the very top (or even just a notch to allow some vinyl tube through) along with a float switch in the return pump areas makes for a fairly clean design.

A lid would also sit flush with the tank rim covering the sump area.

It might be tricky accessing equipment in the sump area, but there is clearance for the return pump and the skimmer. I totally forgot to think of a place to hide a phosphate reactor or even just a spot to park mesh bags. Maybe right next to the skimmer outlet, below the overflow box?

I'd probably go for a tank like this, though I sort of prefer slightly shorter tanks. But hey, how many AIO's out there let me hide an EV-120 in them?

post-34399-1207959415_thumb.png

post-34399-1207959426_thumb.png

post-34399-1207959438_thumb.png

post-34399-1207959446_thumb.png

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had a *long* conference call today and found myself noodling in Sketchup to avoid falling asleep.

Here's an all in one with a concealed AquaC EV-120, a refugium, a built in top-off reservoir, and a lid to cover it all.

I wasn't in the mood to put in the teeth for the overflow or the refugium, but they'd be there.

Because the skimmer's output can't be underwater, the maximum "sump" depth needs to be about 7 inches. The overflow box let's me route water quietly to the skimmer chamber using the two bulkheads and some flex piping. Water exiting the tank and the skimmer travel through the baffles and end up in the return pump chamber.

The return pump is a Mag 9.5. The tee is where I'd route water to the skimmer input using 3/4" flex pvc along with a gate valve to keep the GPH at 500 for the skimmer.

The remaining water enters the refugium which has teeth allowing flow (and critters) directly into the main tank. The refugium water level will remain the same as the main tank.

Main tank flow would need to be handled by some Korialias - the return pump alone wouldn't do the trick.

A bulkhead in the ATO reservoir at the very top (or even just a notch to allow some vinyl tube through) along with a float switch in the return pump areas makes for a fairly clean design.

A lid would also sit flush with the tank rim covering the sump area.

It might be tricky accessing equipment in the sump area, but there is clearance for the return pump and the skimmer. I totally forgot to think of a place to hide a phosphate reactor or even just a spot to park mesh bags. Maybe right next to the skimmer outlet, below the overflow box?

I'd probably go for a tank like this, though I sort of prefer slightly shorter tanks. But hey, how many AIO's out there let me hide an EV-120 in them?

dude, i think you put too much time into your plumbing

not really, though I did use the stand idea sorry. I'm on my iPod so I cant go back and look too easily. I give credit to abe for the stand idea.

not really, though I did use the stand idea sorry. I'm on my iPod so I cant go back and look too easily. I give credit to abe for the stand idea.

lol thanks. :lol:

elbowdonkey
dude, i think you put too much time into your plumbing

Is that kinda like me saying "have some pancakes with your syrup" to my kids, or is it 100% sarcasm free? Either way, it might be safer to say I have an obsession with getting the plumbing right.

I mean really, who here doesn't have a spouse who goes nearly comatose with excitement when you bust through the door after visiting Lowes yelling "babe! no joke! I just found a horde of true union ball valves!"

(you can get them here too)

I can say from experience, my wife's stunned excitement makes perfect sense. All it takes is one or two 72 hour marathon leak fix emergency sessions to get obsessed with doing plumbing right the first time. I'll happily spend 5+ hours measuring out and building up a plumbing fitting in Sketchup than the alternative.

Now if only I had one of those 3D printers...

The concept is pretty basic - I mean, this is true because it works very well, so do take that as criticism, but my only issue would be the fact that its been done.

It would definetly be something that I would be a glad to build for some, but as far as what I'm looking for - a totally unique, eye catching design that will make people take not of my company....I dont know.

again - extemely detailed and well thought out, and if you ever want this made, I'm your guy.

ok so here is the final product.

It is a 22.33g 3/4" aquarium, 24"x18"x12".

If anyone has noticed i design most of my aquariums to be 2' long this is because when you light it, finding a MH fixture below 18" is hard with the discontinuing of the 16.5" sunpod. Also it opens up the posibility of T-5 HO lights. The small tank height allows for maximum light to get to the bottom. In this particular model the light is a 250w ReefOptix pendant (not drawn by me). Here are the pictures:

Front View; The tank sits on a 4" stand so it can be used as a component hiding area. The sump is the same as the one in my previous drawing.

customawesome.png

FTS

customawesome1.png

2x120mm SilentX fans provide the cooling needed to keep temperature down and the need for a chiller eliminated.(fans not drawn by me)

customawesome3.png

The overflow box contains a 1" drain and a cover so algae and CUC members don't get inside The hole on the top is to let some air in if the teeth are fully submerged.

customawesome4.png

A simple yet modern PVC light stand hold the reefoptix above the tank, and it also hide the wiring of the lamp inside it. The structure is extremely easy and inexpensive to make. For connecting it to the ReefOptix a hole could be drilled or you could suspend it with some wire or clamp.

customawesome5.png

Lighting ballast is a ARO 250w Electronic ballast shown here under the tank

customawesome7.png

Just like the Red Sea Max this tank also has a convinent power center under the main tank.The access door is held on by two small magnets and a knob will be installed so it could pull off.

(power strip not drawn by me)

customawesome6.png

The tank in its final color.

customawesome8.png

Or the stainless steel stand

customawesome10.png

Dimensions

customawesome9.png

Guys - just for the record - cuz I"ve had a few responses from people asking when i will pick a winner?

I've picked two - showjyr and weetabix, I"m taking a few days to figure final dimensions, and then build them, get some picks up, but in the mean time, I'm still picking a couple more, probably not for a few days, but I"m picking them none the less.

ANyway - Thanks to everyone whos been responding to my thread.

Also - anyone who may be interested in purchasing a discounted semi-custom tank - I have about 5 aquariums right now from sales that have either fallen through or just things I"ve built from left over acrylic that I'm trying to get rid of.

PM me or email me at zachhubbell@yahoo.com (email =way faster thanks to my iPhone).

I'll be at my girlfreinds grandparents all night, but Ill have my phone and definetly looking for emails to respond to to keep me occupied, haha

Guys - just for the record - cuz I"ve had a few responses from people asking when i will pick a winner?

I've picked two - showjyr and weetabix, I"m taking a few days to figure final dimensions, and then build them, get some picks up, but in the mean time, I'm still picking a couple more, probably not for a few days, but I"m picking them none the less.

ANyway - Thanks to everyone whos been responding to my thread.

Also - anyone who may be interested in purchasing a discounted semi-custom tank - I have about 5 aquariums right now from sales that have either fallen through or just things I"ve built from left over acrylic that I'm trying to get rid of.

PM me or email me at zachhubbell@yahoo.com (email =way faster thanks to my iPhone).

I'll be at my girlfreinds grandparents all night, but Ill have my phone and definetly looking for emails to respond to to keep me occupied, haha

Sorry for my impatience earlier since I was the one asking when your gonna pick the winner :blush:

Congratulations showjyr and weetbix!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Snookchaser

Late post not sure if it will count or not ... have been real busy at work :angry: .

My vision behind this was obviously to be a all in one but more importantly have ample room for everything. I designed it 24" wide as that would enable a variety of lighting options. Built in refugium that is independant from the rest of the filtration so you can control the flow through it. The back wall of the viewing area sticks up two inches so that a fan can be attached for cooling. This design would allow for a variety of setups. We would most likely put together a Ricordea, Mushrooms and Zoa's .... we both like them.

Here is the design done in Paint lol.

tankfront.jpg

Tanktop.jpg

Tankside.jpg

My wife and I had a 20 gal High about 4 years ago, we lived in a very small mobile home and It did not work out well. Now we are in a house and have plenty of room so we are getting back into it. Our current tank has been up and running for just over a month and so far so good :D . Our camera is not taking very good picture of the tank, older camera, but here are a couple anyway enjoy.

Tank061.jpg

Tank062.jpg

YEE-HAW!!!!!!!!! YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!

DoingTheHappyDance.gif

friday.gif

happydance.gif

I will try to get a sketch with exact dims to you tonight.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! :flower: :flower: :flower:

wow_it_esploded
YEE-HAW!!!!!!!!! YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!

DoingTheHappyDance.gif

friday.gif

happydance.gif

I will try to get a sketch with exact dims to you tonight.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! :flower: :flower: :flower:

You bragged! You dont get one cuz I say so!

Anyways, I will have my pictures up soon. They are really great!

John

toiletkavorka

OK i posted this in the DIY proposed forum so thought i might add here...specs are for glass but minor changes would be needed for acrylic (making it thinner if you wanted)...I wanted to max my fuge size and not have it return to the tank through a powerhead...also I wanted to keep an AIO setup for ease of movement as my job will have me coming and going.

Enjoy .........and all coments welcome....................oh yeah and all free tanks built welcome as well

Cheers

CUSTOM TANK DIMENSIONS

(Where applicable all measurements in a: L x W x H fashion)

Tank Bottom: 0 .5” (Standard Float Glass)

Tank Walls: 0.5” (Starphire Glass for front and sides/Standard Float Glass for back)

Tank False Wall: 0.25” (Black Acrylic)

Baffles: 1st 0.125” 2nd 0.25” 3rd 0.125” Fuge Box: 0.125” (Clear Acrylic)

Full Tank (Outside measurements): 24” x 24” x 18” (38.9 Gal.)

Full Tank (Inside measurements): 23” x 23” x 17.5” (34.6 Gal.)

Display Area (Inside measurements): 23” x 16.75” x 17.5” (24.8 Gal.)

Full Back Area (Inside measurements): 23” x 6” x 17.25” (10.3 Gal.)

False Wall: 23” x 0.25” x 17.25”

First Chamber (Inside measurements): 4” x 6” x 17.25”

First Baffle: 6” x 0.125” x 15.25” (allows for 2” clearance from top of false wall)

Second Chamber (Inside measurements): 4” x 6” x 17.25

Second Baffle: 6” x 0.25” 17.25” (allows for no clearance from top of false wall and extra width to accommodate the baffle drilling)

Third Baffle: 6” x 0.125” x 5” (This baffle is spaced 2” from the second Baffle)

Third/Fuge Chamber (Inside measurements): 14.5” x 6” x 17.25” (6.5 Gal. 18.77% of total display area)

Fuge Outtake Protection Box (Inside measurements): 5” x 6” x 3” (1” clearance from top of the false wall)

Intake Slots: 0.25” x 0.25” x 3” (right side of tank leads into first chamber spaced 0.25” apart)

Intake Slots Area (L x W = A): 3” x 0.25” = 0.75 Square Inches x8 slots = 6 Square Inches

Outtake Slots: 0.25” x 0.25” x 2” (left side of tank leads from the fuge chamber spaced 0.25” apart)

Outtake Slots Area (L x W = A): 2” x 0.25” = 0.5 Square Inches x 8 slots = 4 Square Inches

½” Double Threaded Bulkhead Area (Pie x Radius x Radius = Area): 3.14 x 0.25” x 0.25” = 0.19625 Square Inches

1st Double Threaded Bulkhead Placement (Top one on Second Baffle wall): 3”L x 6” H (1/2” Bulkhead needs 1.125” hole drilled with a radius of 0.5625”)

2nd Double Threaded Bulkhead Placement (Bottom one on Second Baffle wall): 3”L x 3” H (1/2” Bulkhead needs 1.125” hole drilled with a radius of 0.5625”)

Space between 2nd and 3rd Bulkhead Holes: 1.875”

3rd Double Threaded Bulkhead Placement (2/3rds up False Wall): 11.5”L x 11.5” H (1/2” Bulkhead needs 1.125” hole drilled with a radius of 0.5625”)

PROPOSED FILTRATION AND CIRCULATION

1) Water comes in first through the 3” Deep .25” wide intake grate on the Left side of the tank.

2) Water enters first chamber and is drawn down into a Tunze 9002 protein Skimmer.

3) Water then flows over the 15.25” baffle wall into the second chamber.

4) Second Chamber has Filter floss and Purgien (both approiximately 2” deep) which is being held in position by some modded Eggcrate

5) Clean water is then either drawn into a Maxi-Jet 1200 or a Maxi Jet 600.

6) The Maxi Jet 1200 Pumps Water through the Top ½” Bulkhead located on the Second Baffle wall and is then connected to the Bulkhead located 2/3rds of the way up the middle of the false wall which will be connected to a Hydor Flo providing random circulation to the display area.

7) The Maxi Jet 600 Pumps Water through the Bottom ½” Bulkhead located on the Second Baffle. Upon exiting the hole the wates forward momentum is stopped by the 5” 3rd Baffle wall thus preventing it from disturbing the Macro and Sand Bed in the fuge area.

8) The water fills the entire fuge area and then spills over the fuge box flowing out the 2” Deep .25” wide outtake slots back into the main tank.

9) The Major circulation in the display tank is created using koralia's on opposite sides of the tank (either nanos or 1’s)

10)……….and repeat.

And now some pics....

Front:

1-front.jpg

side:

4-left.jpg

side:

2-right.jpg

back:

3-back.jpg

back diagonal:

7-backdiagonal.jpg

top:

5-top.jpg

top diagonal:

6-topdiagonal.jpg

Cheers

This last one is very interesting - I'm not sure I 100% get the waterflow...I'm ganna have to take a few minutes and check that out when I get a chance in between finals here, but anyway - just thought I'd update for everyone - I've selected two winners, It'll probably take a week or two to get their tanks finished, and shipped out, and then as long as I'm still gettin a good deal of interest from normal customers (i.e. still selling tanks) I'll have the funds to pick a new winner or two)

toiletkavorka

If you have any questions regarding the flow please PM me and I can answer anything

this has been in my head and in the making for quite some time..

Glad you liked it...

Hope to hear from you

Cheers

wow_it_esploded

Here is my L-Shaped Tank Design.

http://s249.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?p...ry/82c6f2a5.pbw

The 2 inner (closer to the overflow) bulkheads are sump return and the 4 outer (farther from the overflow) bulkheads are closed loop outflows. There are 2 closed loops and the intakes are near the bottom. This tank holds about 110 gallons, not really nano.

I know that his would be too expensive to build for free but it only took a few minutes to draw the plans so I thought that this woud be a tank that you could sell to some of your customers.

My other tank plans should be here within an hour or so.

wow_it_esploded

Here is my tank with built in side display fuges. http://s249.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?p...ry/08cd3762.pbw

The water leaves the display and travels through the fuge and then it f;ows into the back powerhead compartment. This makes it easy to have your heater and 4 powerheads in the back compartment. Also, the only flow equipment t hat you actually see in the tank is loc-line on each of the 4 powerhead output bulkheads,

The display fuge can be st ocked with various balls of macroalgae, live rock rubble, and you can throw some pods in there with some chaeto and then it will be like a pod breeding facility.

This tank holds roughly 36 gallons.

I know, not so nano but still rreasonably sized for a starting reef or FOWLR.

One more d esign coming soon.

John

I'm thinking cliff tank! You know the cliffs in the ocean where there is the reef, then all of a sudden a drop into the endless abyss!

Something thats about 7ft tall, by 10ft wide, by 18inches out. Mount it to the wall. I dunno, its crazy but i threw it out there. Its crazy to talk about it, but it it were done... wow!

I'm thinking cliff tank! You know the cliffs in the ocean where there is the reef, then all of a sudden a drop into the endless abyss!

Something thats about 7ft tall, by 10ft wide, by 18inches out. Mount it to the wall. I dunno, its crazy but i threw it out there. Its crazy to talk about it, but it it were done... wow!

... acrylic that big is not cheap. it is extremely expensive. a tank with that height also will need 1" - 1 1/4" acrylic. you need to keep in mind this is for a free tank. a sheet of 1 1/4" acrylic with 10' x 8' dimensions cost me well over 1500 alone... well... the sheet was lexan... but no matter... :P

Ahahahaha, I was just giving you a crazy idea. I don't think my apartment complex would like me having something that big on the 2nd story... lol

Archived