inTank Media Baskets

FREE CUSTOM ACRYLIC TANK CONTEST!

zhubbell

Maeda Modern Nano Concept.

nanoconcept1.jpg

36x22x16"

Stand with integrated overflow box 'cover' cord keeper, and light stand.

Accommodates MH or T5HO lighting

nanoconcept2.jpg

Overflow box holds filter media, a variety of skimmers, as well as a return pump, and the back half for tunze/koralia magnets.

nanoconcept3.jpg

The overflow box cover doubles as a cord keeper. A notch in the tank allows cords from equiptment to be drapped over the edge of the tank, covered by the overflow cover. U shaped hole accommodates adjustable loc-line to be installed through the box, keeping things coming from the return pump tidy.

nanoconcept4.jpg

All of these pieces, allow for a tank with no visible equipment and no visible wires. For those with tremendous flow needs, koralia's or tunze nano's can be attached in the overflow box with their cords out of site.

built in diving board!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fraggle rockette

lol i love how all you scnrs sketch-up freaks (p.s. :wub:) are in here with your designs that were made "just for fun" at your office whilst on IIRC and NR and now they have purpose! ;) wish i had a drawing... alas, i must finish/start/finish my taxes first. :(

I wonder when Zhubbell is gonna pick the winner? :huh: I hope I win. :P

ok. i think every1 hopes they win. i just want a new tank that i can call nano and do what I want with it.

ok. i think every1 hopes they win. i just want a new tank that i can call nano and do what I want with it.

Agreed

I've been on a few times man - just haven't had time to respond....

I"ve got finals week coming up at UofM (michigan) and am pretty busy with that.

But anyway - I"m going to be sifting through the many pages of responses, get around to building the first winners tanks, and will be letting some more people know soon.

I also need to get a few purchased tanks design finalized, and shipped so that I have some funds for more extra acrylic.

Anyway - thanks to everyone so far!

I've been on a few times man - just haven't had time to respond....

I"ve got finals week coming up at UofM (michigan) and am pretty busy with that.

But anyway - I"m going to be sifting through the many pages of responses, get around to building the first winners tanks, and will be letting some more people know soon.

I also need to get a few purchased tanks design finalized, and shipped so that I have some funds for more extra acrylic.

Anyway - thanks to everyone so far!

cool man good luck on finals. my sister is gonna have her finals in a few weeks too, but she goes to Brown University, in Rhode Island. its so far from home... i think im gonna go there too, ivy league = easy jobs in the future. :D

Good luck to your sister, brown was one of the schools I was considering....I went to U of M cuz of business school, which I ended up hating, so now next semester I'm switching to UCSD school of oceanography.... I'm really excited about that!

anyway...everyones done a really great job so far, and I'm impressed with alot of the designs - please don't discouraged if you haven't been picked yet.

Here's my ideal acrylic tank. I have poor drawing skills, but I drew a simple schematic. It's designed after a beautiful tank I saw at the Georgia aquarium, and similar to a tank melev built on RC. I just love the idea of a slanted front pane that give you a great top-down view. It would be curved on the front and recessed into the stand up to the level of the substrate. There would be an integrated overflow and returns plumbed through at the bottom of the back pane to keep the display really clean looking and prevent the flow from disturbing the sand. Not sure the dimensions, but this is the general idea. Ideally, I'd imagine a carpet anemone and a pair of regular perculas or pink skunk clowns with maybe a yasha goby and pistol shrimp under the rockwork. Very simple...

Here's my very poor drawing:

Slide1.jpg

Here's an old pic of my 6 gallon nanocube that won the first nano contest here, but it has long since been taken apart (I need a new muse! hint. hint.):

DSC02228b.jpg

Good luck to your sister, brown was one of the schools I was considering....I went to U of M cuz of business school, which I ended up hating, so now next semester I'm switching to UCSD school of oceanography.... I'm really excited about that!

anyway...everyones done a really great job so far, and I'm impressed with alot of the designs - please don't discouraged if you haven't been picked yet.

oh,for business you shoulda went to UPENN. best business school in the world. hey, im in socal, but two hours away from UCSD, looking forward to meeting you if you ever come up to orange county.

Ok, so heres my "pico" reef idea. I think a true cube would be cool. Although, on the outside it wouldn't be a cube, the intent would be to provide a cubic display area. I would propose a tank that is:

10" wide, 14" deep, 10" tall. The display area would be 10" cubic and the back would be a 4" area built around the filtration area. It would have 1 drilled hole for a ATO reservoir built into the stand, and 2 drilled holes for connection to a sump/fuge bigger than the back area.. It seems to me one of the problems with pico reefs is topoff, so having a built in ATO reservoir in the stand would work out well. This is also enough volume to comfortably have a nice little goby in, since the tank clocks in at 6 gallons. with a 4.33g display

wow_it_esploded

I have come up with, what i think would be the AWESOMEST (is that a word?) tank ever.

I still have to get pics be here is a link to the sketchup files for those of you interest in manipulating it.

http://box13.110mb.com/fileman.php?dir=hos...k%20Contest.zip

BTW, there would be 4 ViaAqua 280 powerheads in the back attached to 1 inch loc-line and flare nozzles in the display. Then the 2 side compartments are meant to be filled with your favorite macro-algae and LR rubble to create a viewable fuge. Then the section in the back houses all of the powerheads and the heater.

Also, I created 4 versions of the stand. One version has a pendant support so that you could light it without hanging something from the ceiling. And the other version has an open top incase you wanted to do T5s or something along the lines of that.

The dimensions are 34" L x 21" D x 12. And the outer sections are all about 4 inches wide. This could be done on pretty much any scale.

I will post pics but I am too lazy right now. Expect more ideas from me.

John

I have come up with, what i think would be the AWESOMEST (is that a word?) tank ever.

I still have to get pics be here is a link to the sketchup files for those of you interest in manipulating it.

http://box13.110mb.com/fileman.php?dir=hos...k%20Contest.zip

BTW, there would be 4 ViaAqua 280 powerheads in the back attached to 1 inch loc-line and flare nozzles in the display. Then the 2 side compartments are meant to be filled with your favorite macro-algae and LR rubble to create a viewable fuge. Then the section in the back houses all of the powerheads and the heater.

Also, I created 4 versions of the stand. One version has a pendant support so that you could light it without hanging something from the ceiling. And the other version has an open top incase you wanted to do T5s or something along the lines of that.

The dimensions are 34" L x 21" D x 12. And the outer sections are all about 4 inches wide. This could be done on pretty much any scale.

I will post pics but I am too lazy right now. Expect more ideas from me.

John

link no work

Here's another tank idea:

This is a 50 gallon tank, but the view area is roughly 40 gallons. The dimensions are similar to a 40 breeder, but taller.

The right hand side is a visible (clear acrylic) refugium that comes halfway out into the tank (2). The idea is that rocks are stacked low or none at all here in order to have a view of whatever is put in there. Another small chamber (1) within the refugium provides a home for a maxi-jet or another return pump. Water goes through an grid opening at the bottom of this chamber in order to get to the return pump.

The left hand side is a long section avaliable for filter media, skimmer, heater, etc. Water goes into this through a top section opening much like in a biocube on the far left side. The water goes through this chamber and falls over a short wall into the next chamber. This is not clear.

Koralia pumps (or other) can be connected to these chambers to add more flow. Preferably, both chambers are covered with a removable peice of plexi-glass or acrylic. Refugium lights can be connected to this over chamber 2.

50tank.jpg

The idea over all of this is to have a large all in one tank (meaning no plumbing) that can be customized as chosen. Thanks for looking! -Animalrie

ok so here is the final product.

It is a 22.33g 3/4" aquarium, 24"x18"x12".

If anyone has noticed i design most of my aquariums to be 2' long this is because when you light it, finding a MH fixture below 18" is hard with the discontinuing of the 16.5" sunpod. Also it opens up the posibility of T-5 HO lights. The small tank height allows for maximum light to get to the bottom. In this particular model the light is a 250w ReefOptix pendant (not drawn by me). Here are the pictures:

Front View; The tank sits on a 4" stand so it can be used as a component hiding area. The sump is the same as the one in my previous drawing.

customawesome.png

FTS

customawesome1.png

2x120mm SilentX fans provide the cooling needed to keep temperature down and the need for a chiller eliminated.(fans not drawn by me)

customawesome3.png

The overflow box contains a 1" drain and a cover so algae and CUC members don't get inside The hole on the top is to let some air in if the teeth are fully submerged.

customawesome4.png

A simple yet modern PVC light stand hold the reefoptix above the tank, and it also hide the wiring of the lamp inside it. The structure is extremely easy and inexpensive to make. For connecting it to the ReefOptix a hole could be drilled or you could suspend it with some wire or clamp.

customawesome5.png

Lighting ballast is a ARO 250w Electronic ballast shown here under the tank

customawesome7.png

Just like the Red Sea Max this tank also has a convinent power center under the main tank.The access door is held on by two small magnets and a knob will be installed so it could pull off.

(power strip not drawn by me)

customawesome6.png

The tank in its final color.

customawesome8.png

Or the stainless steel stand

customawesome10.png

Dimensions

customawesome9.png

Archived