Cultivated Reef

FREE CUSTOM ACRYLIC TANK CONTEST!

zhubbell

Alright, so I'm in the process of launching my acrylic business, and I just can possibly maintain enough tanks to have as many displays/models to be able to appropiately advertise, so I'm turning to Nano-reefers to provide me a service, in exchange for a free tank.

Heres the deal - I'm looking for people to submit a cool idea for a tank, specify as little or as much as you care to, from a detailed picture of the exact tank, to just a general shape, what livestock you'd put in it, basically, explain to me your vision.

Also, It'd be nice to see pictures of your existing setups maybe, or your experience

In return, whoever/however many ideas I like and choose as winning ideas, will get the tank built for free, depending on the size of it, I may ask for a shipping contribution, but maybe not....depends on specific situations, and then what I ask for in return is for a thread to be kept on the tank, and kept somewhat regularly, including lots of pictures please, and your help with any additional picture I may at some point want to use for advertising, and I would probably have a link to your thread on my website.

So, all and all, not really a bad deal is it??

Lets see what you guys got!

I"ll be checking this very frequently and depending on how fast the replies come in, hope to end the entries within a couple days.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh, and I almost forgot....

Anyone with any equipment just laying around, or some extra frags, or anything like that ARE permitted to bribe the judge (me).

Breakin Newz

I guess I will start it off.. It is nothing specia, just a real simple tank setup...

Demisions would be a 30g breeder or 40g breeder size, maybe allittle longer but not as wide....

untitled.jpg

Im no expert in this design stuff so.. um yea..

InTr4nceWeTrust

Custom fuges would be great. I also love shallow tanks. 1/2 10 gallon (20x10x6). 1/2 20 long (30x12x6). cubes (N x N x 12). I've also always wanted a shallow hex. I have a hexagon shaped end table in the living room. Really solid. Each side is 12". 11 3/4" would probably be safer, though. Would love to get a tank on there without having to find a 400w MH pendant hanging.

I'll participate!

aquariumdimensions.jpg

40 gallon

Dimensions: 36 inches long, 18 inches wide, 16 inches tall

Total filter section length: 26 inches

Filter section made from acrylic painted black.

Section 1: 7 inches

Houses: Skimmer, filter media, and/or heater

Extras: Thin lines cut in acrylic to allow water in

Section 2: 14 inches

Houses: Refugium

Extras: None

Section 3: 5 inches

Houses: Return pump (works similar to all in one) and/or heater

Extras: Hole in acrylic to allow return pump's nozzle to connect to main tank

This is my tank right now, it's a 14 gallon Biocube.

NewAdditionstoSaltwater2-15-08013.jpg

I hope you like my idea! :)

Edit: I forgot to add stocking!

Fish:

2 ocellaris clowns

1 yellow watchman goby

1 six line wrasse

1 purple firefish

Other (Not sure)

Inverts:

A few turbos

Astrea snails

Cerith snails

Nassarius snails (love 'em!)

Maybe a small urchin

1 or 2 cleaner shrimp

Corals:

A bunch of softies so light won't be too expensive

Some (few) LPS

As far as lighting goes, I would probobly need a hood made for a 40 breeder plus some compact florescent lights.

How about 20L size but a few inches wider (deeper? front to back), MH lighting, refugium built in. Lots of LR stacked towards the back with mostly open sandbed in the front. Tons of LPS corals - candy canes, frogspawn, sun corals, acans, duncans, etc on the rocks. Lots of ricordias, with a few plate corals and open brains on the sand bed. Oh, and a mini-carpet or BTA hosted by anemone shrimp.

My idea that I keep saying I am going to make reality is a Maroon Clown tank. I want a drilled 24x24x24 tank,black back panel, drain bulkhead would be centered top back with a short black overflow box. Return would be two bulkheads on either side of the drain, each having a locline Y. It would hold a pair of Maroon Clowns and rose bubble tip anemones. With the 4 return directions there would be no need for power heads which the nems could get caught in.

used paint as am too lazy do do a 3d model but could if you like the design

dimensions are 24x24x10 with 2 3/4 bulkheads

tankidea.jpg

i also have frags ;)

i would go for a just coral tank..ALL SPS for a real reef look

phiber_optikx

Well, this was just thrown together and looks like a 3 year old did it. But here is a tank I have been wanting for a while now. More of a picotope. This tank (in my head) measure around 36x12x20 LxWxH. It would have a built in the tank fuge, and an acrylic divider that goes about 8"-10" high on the right side of the tank. This will hold the sand and create a drop off. You can also silicone sand to the outermost wall this way crabs and snails can climb it easily. The reason for the retained sand is to house the seagrasses and other shallow water plants. The l.r. would go into the deeper end of the tank. I am not entirely sure what the tank would be stocked with but mostly small fishes that could be found in tide pools and shallows.

tankidea.jpg

i have an AIO custon i drew up in sketchup a few days ago. its around 40g. heres the pic.

my design is very simple the dimensions are 30x28x12, with half inch acrylic. the false wall was planning to be black, because of the AIO design. the baffles are: lower=6", top baffle 8" long. The false wall is 6" in depth. i was planning middle chamber 1'6" first chamber to be 6", and last chamber to be 6". i am planning to use a 2 x 250W MH + 2x 32W PC fixture for this tank, as i have an extra one. because of the shallowness of the tank, i would be able to put anything in the tank. my original plans for the tank was to put montis and acros in the tank, with the centerpiece as a nice maxima clam. i will also be putting in zoas and palys in the tank. hopefully a chalice will be in the tank as well.

i hope the pictures i am attatching will show you what i am talking about.

front shot

NANO30x28x12.jpg

filtration

NANO30x28x122.jpg

Here's my idea of the tank I'd want it would consist of wet dry filtration (I would make the filter box) I know it's not as good as other peoples designs but I thought I would give it a shot ;) . It would be a SPS and LPS tank with lots of clams and such with a T5 fixture lighting it up. I would stock it with a tangs, anthias, and chromis and some cool inverts :) . I have 8 years experience with aquariums which have all been freshwater and my Dad who always helps me with my tanks has over 30 years experience in saltwater tanks :D but just recently I set up a Nano Cube 12DX tank which I've been really enjoying :D I think it's really cool that your doing this you'll really make someones day :D .

Anywho the tanks dimensions are 16'' tall 40'' long and 22'' wide.

tankss.jpg

asdfg.jpg

gr.jpg

sfazga.jpg

Heres a picture of my NC12dx

Picture156.jpg

(the corals arent bleached or anything my camera just sucks at taking true to color pics)

Here's a pic of my African Cichlid Tank

Picture110.jpg

Picture109.jpg

God Bless,

Cameron

heres a link to my current setup

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0

id like to do a larger tank with similar layout of the tank i am currently designing

mainly because the fish i want require a larger tank then a 40, ie bellus angels

for fish stocking, im planning on only rarer fish

dracula goby, white bonnet clowns, picasso clowns, rosy fin fairy wrasse, sunburst anthias

all of which will be in pairs

as for lightings, id probably go with a 48" 2x250w 4x54w t5ho current fixture

same as the one i have for my 40br but the 4' and 250w version

so pretty much a 48x18x20-24 is what id like to get

Hey Zack, Will this offer be extended to me? Just wondering. LOL I am just kidding. It would be really rude for a fellow tank maker to offer up the shiznic tank disign. You know what I am talking about. All of those hugly insain ideas that float around your head when your out there fabin up some tanks.

Good luck with the business. I hope that you get a great launch.

P.S. Thanks for the UV. It works great.

How about a real all in one tank, This would be a main display, a refugium and an area to load RO/DI water for Top offs. The back area could house enough space for other equipment such as the Tunze reef filter package.

Next I am not even sure if it would be feasable but sounds pretty cool in my head. How about a real ocean type tank. Have the main display and then slightly increase a slope for a sandy beach. On the opposite end of the beach have a built in wave maker that is the bucket release type that would create a wave action on the sandy beach. I am thinking that this would take a bunch of testing, but the general idea would be to have a sloping bottom. The space below could house a sump type system or some other type of storage or fitration.

Well, this was just thrown together and looks like a 3 year old did it. But here is a tank I have been wanting for a while now. More of a picotope. This tank (in my head) measure around 36x12x20 LxWxH. It would have a built in the tank fuge, and an acrylic divider that goes about 8"-10" high on the right side of the tank. This will hold the sand and create a drop off. You can also silicone sand to the outermost wall this way crabs and snails can climb it easily. The reason for the retained sand is to house the seagrasses and other shallow water plants. The l.r. would go into the deeper end of the tank. I am not entirely sure what the tank would be stocked with but mostly small fishes that could be found in tide pools and shallows.

tankidea.jpg

Holy Cow, I LOVE this idea, now I want to do it!!!

I vote for this guy!!

I would do a 20g High like this...

ScreenHunter_006.jpg

ScreenHunter_002.jpg

ScreenHunter_004.jpg

ScreenHunter_009.jpg

ScreenHunter_005-1.jpg

I had a glass 20H but I had an anemone get stuck in a powerhead while I was on vacation and it all went to crap....

Before the crash:

DSC_4100.jpg

I'd stock it as a mixed reef with a little bit of everything, but only the good stuff. :D

how about a triangular shaped corner tank, most I have ever seen have a rounded front, which I hate...might be cool to have a straight front corner tank...or something like this, with an overflow in the rear corner might be cool too...I'm also a graphic/web designer/developer, so if you need any work done let me know...

post-34501-1207525516.gif

Thought I would chime in with one here. The dimensions could really be in the nano range or huge, depends on placement and stocking. The top tank would drain( only a few inch drop) into the lower tank via grates or a small weir box with a tiny acrylic ramp(inch or so) on the exiting side. I would go with an overflow tower at the far end of the lower tank, but not on the tank wall so it could be entirely hidden with rockwork. From there the water could drain into a sump and be pumped back up to either 1 or 2 returns in the upper tank. It would be fairly simple to build but would look like it took tons of planning and time. I always thought the small water fall effect and having one tank with two different levels would awesome. Below are just a couple quick sketches done in paint but I'm sure someone else could do much better.

Top down view:

untitled.jpg

Side view:

untitled2.jpg

Alright, so I'm in the process of launching my acrylic business, and I just can possibly maintain enough tanks to have as many displays/models to be able to appropiately advertise, so I'm turning to Nano-reefers to provide me a service, in exchange for a free tank.

Heres the deal - I'm looking for people to submit a cool idea for a tank, specify as little or as much as you care to, from a detailed picture of the exact tank, to just a general shape, what livestock you'd put in it, basically, explain to me your vision.

Also, It'd be nice to see pictures of your existing setups maybe, or your experience

In return, whoever/however many ideas I like and choose as winning ideas, will get the tank built for free, depending on the size of it, I may ask for a shipping contribution, but maybe not....depends on specific situations, and then what I ask for in return is for a thread to be kept on the tank, and kept somewhat regularly, including lots of pictures please, and your help with any additional picture I may at some point want to use for advertising, and I would probably have a link to your thread on my website.

So, all and all, not really a bad deal is it??

Lets see what you guys got!

I"ll be checking this very frequently and depending on how fast the replies come in, hope to end the entries within a couple days.

Can't complain about that kinda offer!

My idea is a 24" x 24" x 12" coldwater anemone tank, as an upgrade to my current 10g coldwater tank. The bottom panel would have 5 holes - center for an overflow to a sump and chiller in the stand, and four returns in the corners, all hidden by rocks, making the tank viewable from 4 sides and the open top. Because it is a coldwater tank, the acrylic would have to be 1" thick to prevent sweating during the summer (hope THAT doesn't kill my chances ;) ).

For experience and ability to make regular updates and take lots of pics, my biotope thread should speak volumes to that: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=142920

And my current coldwater setup:

HPIM3744.jpg

HPIM3725.jpg

Don't know if I can enter a second one, but here goes. This again could be just about any size but would be slightly more difficult to build because it's round(although it could be done as a half circle). The overflow is in the tower in the center and the two returns at the bottom of the tank on either side. Using lock line or spray bars from the returns would really give you a nice alternating flow around the whole tank as currents met from the 2 returns....or you could aim them in opposite directions and get a constant " whole tank" circulating current. The center overflow could also be completely hidden by rock. Water would flow over the center into a sump and be returned on the outer sides of the tank. I like both designs because the only visible equipment would be a few returns and maybe a powerhead or 2.

Top down view:

untitled3.jpg

Side view:

untitled4.jpg

Archived