Coral Vue Hydros

Hitchhiker Crab ID - Please assist!

TJ_Burton

Well this little guy is actually fairly large; about the size of an adult emerald crab. Dark purple/burgundy in coloration, with yellowish furry legs. He is equipped with 'scoops' or 'cupped' claws. I assume he is some sort of Mithrax crab, but either way I was curious if anyone had a solid ID.

He is permanently banished to the fuge if he isn't too horrible, otherwise he is getting the'ol boot!

Thanks in advance.

DarkMythrixID2.jpg

DarkMythrixID.jpg

+1 i have new seenn that color but you are right he is a mithrax crab

Right on,

I haven't seen one like this before myself. I have seen ones that look identical to emeralds but black, but this guy seems to be more broad, with more space between his eyes. He also seems to have much more pronounced bumps on his back, that are smoother in appearance.

Banished to the fuge he is!

The Propagator

Its a red Mythrax ( AKA Emerald crab)

Harmless and a great algae eater.

See those pad on the ends on his pincers instead of points?

Thats a good thing to look for when trying to decide if its a good crab of bad crab.

Pads = algae eater 90 % of the time.

Its a red Mythrax ( AKA Emerald crab)

Harmless and a great algae eater.

See those pad on the ends on his pincers instead of points?

Thats a good thing to look for when trying to decide if its a good crab of bad crab.

Pads = algae eater 90 % of the time.

Well I was already on the right path - I do know what claws to look for! I just needed a positive ID as I prefer to cross reference rather then just trust myself ;)

Looks like a mithrax. While it may be harmless and eat algae 90%, there is the chance, when its larger, that it will remember that it's an omnivore and start eating meatier food.

http://home2.pacific.net.ph/%7Esweetyummy42/hitchcrabs.html

And this is exactly why his butt is in the sump!

I don't trust any true crabs.

The Propagator

Bahh.... a hermit crab could turn around and do the same thing one day on ya too.

Its just the nature of the beast.

I would still banish to the fuge. Cups or not, he is still not a true emerald crab. If it has cupped claws don't always think it is reef safe. Some crabs with cupped claws have teeth inside them to help them hold onto living prey while they eat them. JMO

Also xanthid crabs can have cupped claws as well. So I would still banish it to the fuge. Hey were are located, because if you are close to the chicagoland area I will take it if you don't want it.

I would still banish to the fuge. Cups or not, he is still not a true emerald crab. If it has cupped claws don't always think it is reef safe. Some crabs with cupped claws have teeth inside them to help them hold onto living prey while they eat them. JMO

Also xanthid crabs can have cupped claws as well. So I would still banish it to the fuge. Hey were are located, because if you are close to the chicagoland area I will take it if you don't want it.

You don't read do you :P

Firstly - I said he was banished to the fuge no matter if he was "reef safe" or not since I don't trust any crabs at all.

Secondly - I am in Canada, says so under my number of posts! lol. If I were closer you could certainly have him.

The Propagator

He's reef safe ya pansy ! :P

Look up Mithrax Ruber

There are hairy emerald crabs, green mithrax (emerald crabs), red mithrax, and hairy red mithrax.

all reef safe. Of course like any creature you can get a temper mental one now and again though.

He's reef safe ya pansy ! :P

Look up Mithrax Ruber

There are hairy emerald crabs, green mithrax (emerald crabs), red mithrax, and hairy red mithrax.

all reef safe. Of course like any creature you can get a temper mental one now and again though.

Yes, I agree that they are mostly reef safe. But I have caught my previous emeralds and black mithrax crabs doing things they shouldn't before, and thus I do not trust them anymore! lol...

Pansy I may be, but I would rather be safe then sorry! :P

I have this exact same crab. You are right to banish it to the fuge.

Mine has eaten: stomatella snails, green star polyps, peppermint shrimp

Has not eaten: mushrooms, astrea snails, hermit crabs

She has gotten quite large. Her carapace is about as wide as a quarter. Also she does scrape algae off the glass, but prefers meaty treats.

Archived