Coral Vue Hydros

April 2008 - Juin21

Christopher Marks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
congrats juin. so what about them zoas in the center of your tank??? :)

Sorry just fragged a piece for my dad and the next frag will go to Adin!

Juin.

After looking at your tank more carefully, I was wondering... how the hell does that skimmer work? Is there a method to the madness or was it just dumb luck?

I ask because i'm planning a new tank with herbie pipes and was thinking a little extra skimming never hurt nobody.

Juin.

After looking at your tank more carefully, I was wondering... how the hell does that skimmer work? Is there a method to the madness or was it just dumb luck?

I ask because i'm planning a new tank with herbie pipes and was thinking a little extra skimming never hurt nobody.

Well I noticed that when I closed off one of the herbie pipes the safety pipe spewed tons of bubbles. This just led me to start thinking of a way to collect the bubbles and somehow reducing the amount of bubbles released into the sump. Given that my tank sits around 3 to 4 feet up, I was hoping the reaction time for the air and water would be sufficient.

I first beta tested the design using a styrofoam cup (was heckled by ADIN to) as my initial fitting for my collection cup. The original design was much more complicated. I had initially forced the water to go through a few twists before outputing to increase "reaction" time but opted for the easier method, which turned out fine. It's really easy to do! Just get the fittings from home depot, and sit them on top of a u-pipe, add a collection cup and see if it starts skimming! You can adjust the amount of bubbles by increasing and decreasing the flow from the ball valve on the main herbie down pipe. Just make sure that the pump will not over power your safety pipe.

So theres no magic number for how far a fall, how tall a U, etc?

I guess i can play with it later.

I vaguely remember the styro cup thing, and being a huge naysayer to a gravity fed skimmer.

I am now eating my words.

I've got all sorts of weird design ideas in my head! :wacko: Can't wait for the new club tank! The reason I think it skims so well is that the water being collected is from the surface skimmer. In terms of the numbers as long as there is sufficient reaction time (how long does it take a charged ion to stick to a bubble?) and bubbles, it should skim..... :scarry:

It's so simple it makes me wonder. I think i'm just too used to paying big bucks for skimmers that actually just work, that seeing something so simple work seems like it can't be real.

I'm in disbelief. o.O Looks like the skim-mate is nastier then what i'm pulling from my mc500!!!!!

It's so simple it makes me wonder. I think i'm just too used to paying big bucks for skimmers that actually just work, that seeing something so simple work seems like it can't be real.

I'm in disbelief. o.O Looks like the skim-mate is nastier then what i'm pulling from my mc500!!!!!

It's not skimming as nicely as it first did, since I reduced the power of the pump? It seems to only skim when I feed or stick my hands in the water now....

It's not skimming as nicely as it first did, since I reduced the power of the pump? It seems to only skim when I feed or stick my hands in the water now....

It sounds like it already skimmed all the junk out, and is not just skimming what you put in like a properly oversized skimmer should. -_- Nice.

the gravity skimmer of yours is awesome. just noticed it when i was reading the article of yours. you think i could do the same thing? one of my returns is filling a filter sock with bubbles and causing the bubbles to spill all over the sump every day. would be a good use of the bubbles. :)

and you also feed very little

the gravity skimmer of yours is awesome. just noticed it when i was reading the article of yours. you think i could do the same thing? one of my returns is filling a filter sock with bubbles and causing the bubbles to spill all over the sump every day. would be a good use of the bubbles. :)

Absolutely, that's where I got the idea from!

• 2 weeks later...

So glad I finally got around to reading your TOTM story--I really enjoyed it! I join the crowd impressed by your most-creative skimmer, and I thought your siphoning tips were ingenious as well.

I goes without saying that the tank is gorgeous! I esp. like the lunar eclipse zoas, those yuma shots; and that blue Anthelia is amazing! The clams look so nice next to each other like that.

Nice chiller/microscope/plant display! Do you use the 'scope much?

Congratulations!

--Diane

So glad I finally got around to reading your TOTM story--I really enjoyed it! I join the crowd impressed by your most-creative skimmer, and I thought your siphoning tips were ingenious as well.

I goes without saying that the tank is gorgeous! I esp. like the lunar eclipse zoas, those yuma shots; and that blue Anthelia is amazing! The clams look so nice next to each other like that.

Nice chiller/microscope/plant display! Do you use the 'scope much?

Congratulations!

--Diane

I don't use the scope that much anymore, but when we first bought it we would siphon out the dirtiest part of our tank to see what it looked like......not a good idea. There are all sorts of living organisms in there that look terrifying!!! Thanks for the compliments!

Archived