ReefCleaners.org

The Official Sixline Wrasse Thread

GioReef

• 2 months later...

based upon my nickname you'll be able to tell what my fave fish has been for ten years and judging by the posts here, you can see why...I have a 14 BC set up and running with no fish...partly because I don't know what to add but am battling inner demons about whether or not to get one in the 14 cube...i'd defintely add him last and after I added a YCG first or something...still debating...

what do you mean au01st--did you condemn him to frag tank because he was too mean? Has anyone experienced one that wasn't aggressive in a 14 gallon or less tank?

Edited by 6-line
Six lines are one cool fish. I really like them. The problem is, they start out peaceful and interesting...then slowly over time they get to be one aggressive, mean SOB. Seems to happen every time. I had to get rid of mine. Remember, 90% of the ones we get for our nano's are babys (they get to be +3"), wait a year or so and then all hell breaks loose. Sad but true. My 2 cents

I have to agree with you on this one, I'm trying to get mine out my 24g Auquapod. This thing is mean and picks on everything now. I tried putting Two new clown fish in the tank with him and he would not stop picking on them.

Both Clown got Brooklynella, and died the other night :(

it was a nice pair, but will try again.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I bought a sixline yesterday , he killed two bluelegs hermit crabs right away :( , I bought a clown at a same time. any idea for my third fish, I have nano cube 12G DX and I don't have any corals yet. after reading this thread I am so confused should I keep this beautiful fish or not?!!

• 2 months later...

This is a nice and informative thread but so many people seem to do the same thing: not find out enough information BEFOREHAND getting a six line wrasse. I am planning to get a six line in few months after my tank is matured enough and after I have got my other one or two fish there first as he should be the last fish to add to the tank.

Planned tank mates are Flame Hawkfish and possibly something else have not decided yet what. Does anybody have a six line wrasse in a tank with yellow tail damsel or is this combination too aggressive??

- - - - -

30 gallon long

• 4 weeks later...

Perfect thread for my dilemma. I was told by a friend about six-lines eating bristle worms. I didn't see any mention of them so I thought I would ask.

I have a 12g elcipse with one Bicolor Blenn, blue-legged hermit, nauss snail, couple cerith snails, very small hob filter changed into a fuge. And a few beginner corals.

Basically what I want to do is eradicate a LOT of bristle worms.

I really think they are wreaking havoc on my inhabitants, peppermint shrimp and 2 chromis have disappeared in a short time span, I also witnessed a worm grab a hold of my peppermints tail one day not long before it went mia. The chromis were spawning and hanging out on the bottom of the tank all the time.

Need some feedback on if they will take care of them for me and I can take it back when the job is done.

(or even break down and get a little bigger tank)

• 2 months later...

I just bought a small sixline, and after reading some wrasse eating shrimp posts, I am worried about my harlequins. Once the sixlin gets bigger, do you think it will go after the shrimps? Other than this I think sixlines are awsome fish, inexpensive and colorful, and also active.

i would love to share some pics, but my camera is not very good.

I got my Sixline as the first fish in my tank, not knowing they're rowdy. I bought him because he was super cute at only 1/3". I kept him in my 34 gallon tank for a month, then added my bonded pair of clowns, along with a Banggai Cardinalfish. For some reason, after the first year my wrasse stopped growing and has stayed around 1.5" for two years now. He's extremely peaceful and he has never bothered my clownfish pair's eggs. He doesn't even pick on the Banggai, but my clownfish do. I'm not sure why he's so small in peaceful, but I think I just lucked out. :happy:

• 2 months later...
Will a six line bother a pom pom crab?

B)

Been living fine together in my 40br for 6+ months now.

I did find a dead blue leg the other day, have no idea if it was the sixline or not...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 20G long with a bangaii (in for about 3 weeks) and 20lbs of LR with an archway/cave for hiding. I am deciding on what else to put in - currently thinking about the following:

bangaii + pair of black / white or onyx clowns (if I can find them)

OR

bangaii + b/w clown or onyx clown + 6 line wrasse

Seems like a 20G long just might cut it and that these three types of fish are compatible (in theory at least)...

So... the questions:

Would 4 fish be too many in a 20G long?

Would those three get along? Anyone have any experience with any combination of the three (that have lived together more than 6 mths - 1yr)?

Am I better off scrapping this idea and finding other fish?

Any other ideas for active swimmers (not looking for rock sitters, etc) that would get along?

I have researched a lot and found that clowns sometimes get along with those other fish, but sometimes not... that 6 lines can be aggressive as they get older, but sometimes not... that 3 fish is best for a 20G long but you can do 4 with frequent water changes and good maintenance...

too many conflicting answers out there... anyone care to chime in?

THANKS!!

danthenewreefman

My sixline is a great tank mate. He was the last fish added to a 75g with -- big damsel, fishfish, maroon clown, ocellaris clown, yellow tang & ultra mean starry blenny.

He takes no shiznit from anyone but isn't aggressive and doesn't initiate anything. Even with the firefish whom is listed as not compatible (along with damsel).

Adding this fish last really helps with the aggression, or maybe it's the tank size (75g). Or maybe it's the presence of larger fish?

I don't know, I just know I love my six-line. Became one of my favourite fish quick.

I have a 14g BC and i have a two firefish a watchman goby and a six line and when i get my water tested everything comes out good so just do your water changes and you should be good. I know a lot of people will say thats to many fish for such a small tank and bio load this and that but it works for me. And don't get me wrong i know my bio load is high and what i do may not work for you but i say try it and see what happenes.

• 4 months later...
BobbyD8983

Hello, we recently picked up a sixline wrasse and a yellowhead sleeper goby from a fish store in mobile al. The first day in quarantine we were able to get both of them to eat and had a touch of sand in the bottom that the goby sifted through. This only happened the first day, Saturday... Six days later we woke to find that the goby had passed but the wrasse still alive. An emergency water change was performed as the ammonia level had gotten higher than comfort. The water comes from an established 75 gallon with pretty good water quality. ammonia and nitrites are 0 with nitrates being slightly traceable. pH is 8.3, KH is 214ppm ,and Calcium is 500ppm. The wrasse seems healthy and like it is trying to hunt but wont eat prepared food. I harvested some pods out of the display tank and attempted feeding. I didnt see him eat but cant find any pods now. He doesnt look hungry, maybe he ate? Any advice for me? He still has a ways to go in qt.

Thanks,

Bobby

One day I came home to see my 6line wrasse attacking my 2 clownfish and their frogspawn. They were missing scales and had huge tears in their fins. I had to pull everything out of the tank to catch it. Now it's the only fish in my 10g, only because I have nowhere else to put it.

edit: lol sorry I realized this is kinda random, but when I saw a 6 line wrasse thread, I had to share my story

Edited by Nate Dawg