inTank Media Baskets

The Official Sixline Wrasse Thread

GioReef

I have a sixline in with my PJ cardinal & firefish, the cardinal keeps the six in check & the Fire is just too quick for the six lol, they seem to get on well at feeding time. The six is constantly looking for worms & pods, i have a fair few baby bristleworms in my tank and ive seen the six munching away on 1 alot, too funny how he eats them its like a bird battering a snail, then its gone, he doesent seem to eat many of the flatworms tho, which is pain. Very pretty and fun fish to watch.

• 2 months later...

Update on my sixline. He's been in the 125 for 7 months now. That is his tank. He is the boss of two 4" tangs, a dottyback, a damsel, a coral beauty, and a pair of occelaris clowns. He also loves the swimming room. He's just as active as the tangs and doesn't hide like most sixlines do, he cruises all the time.

After having one in a big tank, I really think a 36" tank is required to keep one of these fish truely happy when they're full grown. Mine is 3 years old and at least 3" long. I know they've been kept in smaller tanks, but as I rule I'm going to say these fish need swimming room.

In other sixline news: I've adopted a 54 corner (it actually one of my old tanks) from a friend who got laid off and had to move. He had two tanks, each had a sixline in it. A few months ago he moved some rocks from the 55 into this 54 corner. He didn't know it at the time, but the sixline hitchhiked from one tank to the other, so this 54 has a pair of sixlines in it. They've been getting along great for about 3 months now. I'll try to keep this thread updated on how they're doing. I don't suggest trying this intentionally to anyone but the most experienced fish keepers. Since it's been ok so far I'm just keeping an eye on them and seeing how things work out.

edit: I'll try to catch some pictures of all three of my sixlines, they're quick little buggers.

Edited by fewskillz

I so want a six-line in my tank... but it's only a 24g NC and will have 2 clowns and a yasha/pistol shrimp pair.

Tad worried about the aggression when they get older. Has anyone found any methods of lower their aggression levels?

My sixline wrasse. I love him, so interesting to watch. He lives with two clowns and so far so good, everyone gets along. He eats like a pig though, looks pregnant after feeding time.

post-40754-1231093160_thumb.jpg

My sixline wrasse. I love him, so interesting to watch. He lives with two clowns and so far so good, everyone gets along. He eats like a pig though, looks pregnant after feeding time.

what size tank?

BC14gallon (18lbs LR). Heard about them through the book "The Nano-Reef Handbook" by CR Brightwell. My girlfriend brought him to me from Vancouver at XMas. My LFS has no selection at all. Thinking of getting a 72G bowfront soon, then he can move to bigger grounds! Just gotta find a new home for my exercise machine which is where the tank will go, oh well, hee hee.

post-40754-1231094059_thumb.jpg

here fishy fishy
Jade looks happy. :happy:

I think she is a happy fish! So fun to watch. I have to say, I was having an issue with parasitic isopods, but I haven't seen one since I got her, and its been 6-7 weeks. Knock on wood, it'd be so great if those nasty stinkers were gone.

Brainbot, if your clowns are not mean you could add your sixline as the last fish. That should keep them peaceful. But i don't know about bioload, you already have 3 fish, but if you keep up wc and have a skimmer or refugium, i think you can handle it...

LOVE my six line wrasse! The only fish in the tank that isn't a fan of him is my yellow watchman goby!

They are fine but the YWG just gets territorial when the 6 line is in his hood! it is fun to watch

INTERESTING STORY.

So a few weeks ago I came home from work and it was night time, so the tank lights had been off. I looked in my tank just to make sure all was good. I see my six line in the back between the wall and the rock covered with a thin mucoid lining. I FREAK OUT. I THINK HE IS DEAD. In my defense he really did look dead. I PANIC. I put my hand in there to take him out thinking he is dead. He suddenly awakens from his "sleeping death" and swims around and bumps into tank walls. I freak out thinking he is really sick and going to die. Next AM he is fine. Tell my buddy Dave (DCG on here) and he laughs and says "he was sleeping"

I AM A JACKASS for this one

6 line is happier then ever still, that scared this S_*& out of me

BC14gallon (18lbs LR). Heard about them through the book "The Nano-Reef Handbook" by CR Brightwell. My girlfriend brought him to me from Vancouver at XMas. My LFS has no selection at all. Thinking of getting a 72G bowfront soon, then he can move to bigger grounds! Just gotta find a new home for my exercise machine which is where the tank will go, oh well, hee hee.

whats up with those ties on your rock?

My Sixline thinks he is a chromis and schools with them. Every once in a while when I put my face up to my tank he will come right up to the glass, and twitch... like he is having a seizure. Not to sure what this means, but its only sometimes and I have to be right near the glass.

3172853792_58eae24ce4_o.jpg

Mine does that too. He is "fighting" with his reflection or you! If his eyes get red and his fins are up, that is his warning. I love it when mine does that. Nice "school" btw

• 3 weeks later...

Here is mine, he has gained about 10 lbs since that photo and is an obese grouchy sob:)

Slightly blurred but a pretty good shot, he never slows down...

2854317211_3d1a207631.jpg

Take heed about what people say about adding your sixline last. I thought I was done adding fish, and introduced the sixline. My goby jumped and now I cannot replace him since the sixline is unwilling to accept any new additions to the tank. Keeps flatworms and other pests in check, in fact, he doesn't really eat the spectrum pellets I feed my clowns and coral beauty. I think he diet is pretty much whatever he can forrage plus mysis 1/week.

Adam

Great thread. I think I know the answer, but I have to ask. I would like to add one to my 24g Aquapod. It would be my third and last fish. Right now, I have a small ocellaris clown and a large yellow watchman goby. For inverts, I have a pink paddle brittle star and pistol shrimp.

Would the wrasse go after the shrimp? I am assuming that the goby would protect it.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

If the pistol and goby are paired, the goby should be aggressive. And he shouldn't get eaten. If they aren't chances are that he will kill him.

At- that picture is so good. What camera did you use?

Edited by GioReef

No, they will compete with each other for pods, and one will starve to death for sure. Probably the mandarin, unless it eats frozen/prepared foods.

Mine does that too. He is "fighting" with his reflection or you! If his eyes get red and his fins are up, that is his warning. I love it when mine does that. Nice "school" btw

Their eyes are always red...

I got my sixline about 3 months ago. She's pretty plump and eats just about anything. First fish, and has so far been nothing but a model citizen, even with the addition of two jawfish. It's funny to see her swim by the anemone (sexy) shrimp, since it freaks out thinking it's going to get eaten or something. Same with my acropora commensal crabs.

Some pictures (taken when I got her):

SLW.jpg

slw-2.jpg

slw-3.jpg

slw-4.jpg

slw-5.jpg

She loves cruising around the whole tank, and has lots of rock work to forage on and hide in, as well as a good amount of open space to roam too.