Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Official Sixline Wrasse Thread

GioReef

The Sixline Wrasse... Pseudocheilinus hexataenia

General Care- Sixline wrasses are pod grazers that will eat ALL your pods. They are very common in the hobby and are fairly easy to take care of. They will get up to 3" in length but that varies with the individual. They will eat almost everything meaty that you give them. They do not need constant pods like mandarins do, thus making them easier to take care of.

Diet- Pods, Flakes, Pellets, all frozen foods,(sometimes unfortunately ornamental shrimp), bristleworms, flatworms, and they eat pyramid snails. They need a meaty diet but some algae in the flakes or pellets will benefit them too.

Habits- Cruise around searching for pods/micro fauna all day long. At night, they make a mucous bubble around their body and wedge themselves between rocks and sand. This disguises their scent so they can be safe from other predators. When lights are turned back on, they go back to hunting! :happy:

Tank- Must be a FOWLR or reef with plenty of live rock to roam. Tank size is always disputed. They can be kept in 10 gallon tanks but some people disagree and think 20 gallon is more appropriate. There are several people here that have them in 10 gallon tanks. They usually do well in all types of tanks with reef like parameters. Keep it covered because they are good jumpers.

Tankmates- Peaceful tankmates might get harassed if the wrasse has already stabilized territory in the tank. Strongly depends on the individual fish though. They are usually good with clowns, tangs, angels and other bigger fish...in a bigger tank. To have a better chance on keeping these guys peaceful with other fish, you must add all your other fish first or else the wrasse might command the tank. Damsels and other wrasses are probably the only "nano-sized" fish that i wouldn't add with them at all. They will fight together. If you are going to add a shrimp, make sure it is larger than the wrasse and that you add him first or else the wrasse might think you are giving it food. Smaller shrimp like sexys may get eaten. Usually fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp fare well with the wrasses. They usually don't bother hermits. Mine goes at my nassarius snails sometimes when they are out. But nothing serious. Nothing to worry about corals though. They don't pick on corals at all. If you have clams and the clams are pestered by pyramid snails, a sixline will get rid of them.Only get 1 sixline per tank because they WILL fight

Common FAQ's-

-Why is my wrasse not eating?
Wrasses are shy and need time to get used to the new tank. Once they get used to it and have eaten all your pods they will eat anything else. Give them time and they will eat. Usually this takes between 3 days to 2 weeks. This really depends on the wrasse.

-My wrasse has white spots. What do i do?
Sixlines get white spots often especially when first introduced. Their skin seems to adhere to some things, like a mandarin. They are usually sand particles that stay stuck when they sleep. But if it has a lot and they dont go away, it might be ich.

-I can't see my wrasse at night. Where is he?
They usually go "sleep" under the sand or between rock caves. As soon as the lights turn on he will start swimming again.

-Just added my wrasse. I haven't seen it since.
Wait a couple of days. They will hid when first introduced. Check your water params to make sure they are all good. If he doesn't come out within a few days it could be several reasons:
•Died
•Jumped out
•Still really scared

And finally, pictures...

100_4796.jpg

100_4675.jpg

100_4794.jpg

Not mine...
sixline.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Feel free to tell me about anything else to add.

• Like 2
what would be the best thype of six line wrasse to put in a 8g?

there is only one type of six line wrasse, and thats the six line wrasse. and 8g is probably too small.

• Like 1
Blackbird97

Well I have a six line in my BC14, he was pretty tame when I fist got him. I've had him for about 5 or 6 months now and he's starting to get aggressive/territorial. He steals food from other fish, and really enjoys bossing my clowns and shrimp around. I think he's going to need a new home soon.....

• Like 1

i have to say i dont agree with your shrimp rule. i have a sixline who doesnt bother my harlequin shrimps ever. both my halrequin shrimps have been very happy in my tank for a while.

How long has "awhile" been abe? :D

6 months...

today i saw something pretty cool. six line was just floating there like a baracuda. then dove onto a asterina star. just wanted to share that. it was awesome.

I have found my six line will pick at corals. Nothing detremental to the corals and not continuous. Pod eating machine for sure. Definitely fun to watch cruising in and out of all the rock work.

6line.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been thinking about adding one. I currently have a Percula Cloan and a Yellow Watchman Goby, Should I expect any issues with either of them and a six line if I get one?

I have been thinking about adding one. I currently have a Percula Cloan and a Yellow Watchman Goby, Should I expect any issues with either of them and a six line if I get one?

I've had a sixline and a yellow watchman (who rooms with a pistol shrimp) for about 2 months...no problems...however he did mow down a sexy shrimp that hiked on a piece of live rock from my six gallon....

Here's a shot of mine. He's a complete goof.

He actually does stuff like this just to play with me. He knows I am trying to photograph the Acan's right behind him but he wants to get in the shot!

th_boo.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for sharing.

Any additions to the info on sixlines would be great! And feel free to post your own

Edited by GioReef

if you have good maintainance and you don't overfeed...then the wrasse might me good. Like tayshar ( a member here) she has a sixline in a 10 gallon and is doing very well. It can be done but have good routines and stay up with wc.

• 4 weeks later...
CorvetteJoe

I've got one in my 12NC. He is my favorite tank mate to watch besides the urchin.

His name is Linus :)

Here is a nice grainy pic of mine. He doesn't come up to the front too often for photo ops :(

IMG_1008.jpg

Random Observations:

I've seen him steal food from the clown before, but usually he get's his own pieces and I think he only does it because the clown is usually out front when I am feeding. When he cruises out from behind the rocks, I think the first thing he sees is the clown eating and he goes for that food first. Once he sees the other food all over the tank, he then leaves the clown alone and goes after other food.

He ate all my tiny feather dusters.

He almost seems "Matrix" Like at times. Like he is digital or a robot. He moves very sharply and smoothly like a robot. I get a laugh out of it sometimes.

When he gets fed mysis shrimp, if the piece is too big for his mouth, he grabs it, then SHAKES IT like a dog and swims around the tank like a dog with it's tail on fire that won't let go of it's food. Its quite comical!!

And last but not least, Ive found his sleeping spots in both the old and new tanks. In the old tank, he curled up in a ball and slept in a crevice in the liverock. In the new tank, he sleeps under a cave on the sand. Just search for them early morning with a flashlight, they are usually the last ones up.

Edited by CorvetteJoe
masterbuilder

Six lines are one cool fish. I really like them. The problem is, they start out peaceful and interesting...then slowly over time they get to be one aggressive, mean SOB. Seems to happen every time. I had to get rid of mine. Remember, 90% of the ones we get for our nano's are babys (they get to be +3"), wait a year or so and then all hell breaks loose. Sad but true. My 2 cents

Edited by masterbuilder
  • Like 1
miniwhinny

I've wanted one for a while now. This is a great thread I've learned a lot. I have a 29 AGA with an immature GSM. What do you think about adding a 6 line with another bossy fish? My GSM even gets mad at me cleaning the tank and she's still too young to have yellow stripes!

Edited by miniwhinny

i wanted a pair of sixlines, i cant keep two even if they are a mated pair in a 55? like no way? kinda hard to get my head around that if 10-20 gallons is good for one... >.<