Pod Your Reef

Fish for a Nano

RafaSant

Looking for a colorful, always swimming around fish for my 10g. I like perculas, but I'm worried if they adopt my toadstool. Also like cherub angels, but again he may start to nip at corals.

What you recommend ?

TIA

Rafa

I've tried Firefishs, but don't know why they stop eating and starve to death.

Ahh !! My setup:

10g w/10g sump/ref

LS, 15lb LR

Toadstool leather, Devi's Hand Leather, Yellow Polyps, assorted 'shrooms and GSP.

Yellow watchman and a Cleaner Shrimp

How long has the tank setup, how many firefish did you buy.  What are your water parameters at.  How did you accilmate them.  How long did you have them before they stopped eat.  What were you feeding them.  Need alot more info before anyone can say why.

Dave,

This is a three years old tank.  First was FOWLR, now is a reef.  

The parameters:

Amonia, Nitrite, Nitrate= 0

PH= 8.2

Calc= 360

Alk= 3.52

Well, can't remember what were the parameters at last time I tried a firefish, but I can tell nitrate were at 20ppm.  Never had more than one at a time, fed them frozen brine shrimp, meaty foods (frozen), and tetra marine flakes two times a day.  They seem to be ok for the first two month, then they start to hide a lot and eat less.

What your advice ?

Rafa

PS:  My tank is much more stable now.

• 2 weeks later...

For color movement and personality I like pseudochromis and dotty backs. They are territorial so it would be the only fish you could keep in a nano but I think they are great. I had a purple pseudo until he took the big leap. He found out air breathing wasn't all it's cracked up to be!

printerdown01

For color what about a a six line or a golden coris wrasse (...does the coris get to big...)? Perhaps a high-fin banded goby? I happen to have photos of the six line and the high-fin:UW_high.fin.jpg

UW_six-line.wrasse.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Delph,

I've heard that sometimes leathers don't get used to the clowns "harrasment" and eventually die.

What's your experience ?

Also seen that perculas can adopt almost everything as a host, from PowerHeads to Feather dusters and mushrooms.

I'm worried about the toadstooll health, 'cause I know the percula will be ok.

Delph,

My toadstool is around 5" dia.  You think it can host a pair of baby clowns.  You think it's better to get one, and look how it adapt to the new enviroment, and then get a second.  The thing is that if I choose the perculas, I'll really love to have a mated pair.

What would be your pick, the true or the false percula ?

Rafa

PS: Thanks for your advise, it's been of great help.

Delph,

I'll go with the tank raised perculas.  I only need to find a healthy specimen.

I've heard of some people raising them in Puerto Rico, I'll try to find out who they are.

Thanks a lot, I'll let you know how everything goes

Rafa

Archived