Top Shelf Aquatics

Day Job

scottyreef

I am an entomologist for the USDA-ARS. Insects are interesting creatures and I enjoy my job. My research involves biological control of invasive species with the primary focus on Anoplophora glabripennis (Asian long horned beetle).

Back in the nienties I worked for a LFS for 5 years. That was the begginning of my aquarium addition :D

Edited by Reef507

I have a B.S in Information Systems and found myself working as a web developer at an ad agency based in L.A. What I really do is stare at my crabs and snails on my desk watching them eat all the algae in my nano post-cycle.

Edited by joer3

I am a pool girl. I open, close, and service inground swimmingpools.

Its a pretty neat job, messy and not so fun this time of year with all the rotten leaf and algea-filled covers, but all summer we just drive around and vacuum pools, catching out the frogs and snakes.....knowing about pH, and alkalinity helps when dosing chemicals!

I used to be a field herpetologist. All my life thats what I wanted to be, and for three years I thought "wow I made it!" and I had gigs doing surveys for jefferson salamanders, four toed salamanders, and some radio tracking and pit tagging of copperheads, timber rattlesnakes, and black rat snakes, all endangered here.....(pit vipers are my true specialty, not reefs...) and as it turns out it kind of sucks to be a field biologist because you get paid all at once because your money comes from a grant....it always comes late, at the end of the season, or MONTHS after you were supposed to get paid.. Not so cool when....you know....you need to buy FOOD..... Pools pay MUCH better and I can afford to go look at snakes and band owls in my free time, keep tanks, and I finally got a horse again....

So a pool girl I will remain.

Plus I look way hot skimming pools in daisy dukes and a crop top. B)

I am a GIS Analyst. Basically, I make maps of military bases. I can't tell you anything else or I would have to kill you.

Gotta love arcview, huh? I used to make arcview maps for endangered species habitats, especially when mapping wetlands, vernal pools, and rattlesnake dens. I havent used it in a while.

Worked in the medical field 30 Years. But my real job is being a Papa. I have all the money I need, how could I ask for more :) I keep a 12 nano tank and corn snake for my grandson looking to get another snake next month and a 20L nano tank this summer....We both play WOW like crazy. I guess my real hobbie is my grandkids LOL what more could a man ask for. :D

TheCuban1040
Gotta love arcview, huh? I used to make arcview maps for endangered species habitats, especially when mapping wetlands, vernal pools, and rattlesnake dens. I havent used it in a while.

Sounds like fun stuff! I did some mapping of the marshlands in the Santa Barbara area after I graduated from UCSB.

Based on your post we should start posting pictures of ourselves in our work uniforms... :P

Sounds like fun stuff! I did some mapping of the marshlands in the Santa Barbara area after I graduated from UCSB.

Based on your post we should start posting pictures of ourselves in our work uniforms... :P

LOL. I'll try to get some for you boys this summer. I dont have any right now, we dont fool around with cameras much when we work, but now I have a reason. My "uniform" has convinced several customers that they need their pool cleaned every single week instead of every other, or once a month! Its good for business, what can I say?

Its 45 and raining now, so if we go out today my uniform will be muck boots and a rain coat!

thats hot

I'm an IT Consultant aka grunt working projects for various oil/gas companies in the area. Project work is generally more fun and pays better than the day to day support work but it also means having to look for work once the project wraps up. At least the recent projects have been travel free so I get to stay home and attend to the reef tanks more.

I'm a full time student pursuing two degrees. One in Computer Aided Drafting and Design and one in machining. I work with the same design programs that the major car manufacturers use, so if anyone needs any custom tank ideas drawn up I may be able to help.

As for a job, I'm a catering assistant during the week at the college I go to, but that ends in a couple of weeks :( . So this summer I'm going to try and get into the LFS by me, that or find a job drafting somewhere, haven't quite decided yet.

TheCuban1040
I'm a full time student pursuing two degrees. One in Computer Aided Drafting and Design and one in machining.

Hey, I work with AutoCAD LT all the time. Good times

Worked in the medical field 30 Years. But my real job is being a Papa. I have all the money I need, how could I ask for more :) I keep a 12 nano tank and corn snake for my grandson looking to get another snake next month and a 20L nano tank this summer....We both play WOW like crazy. I guess my real hobbie is my grandkids LOL what more could a man ask for. :D

Grandkids Rock. I enjoy mine very much.

sounds like yours have a great Papa. :)

Galloping Goose

I am a semi truck driver. Used to run over-the-road, mainland 48 states and Canada. Now I just stick to local routes. Over 1.2 milion miles and still going...

Oceanic 30g

QUOTE (TheCuban1040 @ Apr 28 2008, 02:33 PM)

Based on your post we should start posting pictures of ourselves in our work uniforms...

LOL. I'll try to get some for you boys this summer. I dont have any right now, we dont fool around with cameras much when we work, but now I have a reason. My "uniform" has convinced several customers that they need their pool cleaned every single week instead of every other, or once a month! Its good for business, what can I say?

Its 45 and raining now, so if we go out today my uniform will be muck boots and a rain coat!

thats hot

You are way cute. Pics would be good. PS I have a funny story about pool cleaning. I am at work and have no time to post it.

I work as a Navy Contractor as a Budget Financial Manager. I spend my days on the financial aspects of buying and modifying C/KC-130 aircraft for the USN/USMC. I get to fight with the Navy, DOD and Congress for cash and spend most of my time fighting the procurement system to get the guys at the pointy end of the lance what they need to fly missions. Professor is my call sign at work.

I also do woodturning, woodcarving and build furniture on the side.

I have also worked as a roofer, carpenter, ditch digger, tree climber, LFS employee, Medical Insurance Auditor, and cake decorator.

I majored in Art in college.

-Prof

Anywhere near Lee, MA? My sister and brother-in-law are building a house there and may need a pool service. I believe it is near Yocum Pond.

Grandkids Rock. I enjoy mine very much.

sounds like yours have a great Papa. :)

Yea love my grandkids going to set up a grandkid tank..LOL . They keep me young and feeling good.

I'm an attorney. Oddly enough, I got into reef tanks because of a LFS that I represented during a lawsuit. I ended up representing several companies in the industry over hte past few years. I run my own office downtown where I keep a 14 gallon biocube. I will never work in a setting where another individual can determine whether I get to keep an aquarium or not. :P

I actually cant start my first reef tank until i get my job. (parents said if i want to start another tank, i have to pay for it) But im only 15 and i dont know where to work. Dont want to work in McDonalds, Starbucks, Pizaa Hut, or any restaurants. I was thinking Petco (even though i hate them) but i dont know how to contact them. Unless you just call the store and say: "Yea im looking for a job, so yea, i mean im pretty smart with fish, so yeah.." Any advice on how to call and ask for a job would be greatly accepted. I recently picked up the workers permit form from my school and all i have to do now is find a job for the employer to fill out the employer fill-out part of the form. Remember, this would be my first job opportunity, so dont overreact and tell me: "Wow, what a noob" or "Haha! kid doesn't even know how to get a job!LOL." So, yea thanks.

(also, sorry to hijack this thread)

kermitthedaniel

I am an arbourist, i prune and remove trees in residential and commercial areas, pretty much get to climb trees all day or use a big boom truck, and use chainsaws, lots of fun. im glad to work outside, with me hands. i work for davey tree they are all across north america.

I actually cant start my first reef tank until i get my job. (parents said if i want to start another tank, i have to pay for it) But im only 15 and i dont know where to work. Dont want to work in McDonalds, Starbucks, Pizaa Hut, or any restaurants. I was thinking Petco (even though i hate them) but i dont know how to contact them. Unless you just call the store and say: "Yea im looking for a job, so yea, i mean im pretty smart with fish, so yeah.." Any advice on how to call and ask for a job would be greatly accepted. I recently picked up the workers permit form from my school and all i have to do now is find a job for the employer to fill out the employer fill-out part of the form. Remember, this would be my first job opportunity, so dont overreact and tell me: "Wow, what a noob" or "Haha! kid doesn't even know how to get a job!LOL." So, yea thanks.

(also, sorry to hijack this thread)

Despite my better judgement after reading some of your posts here is my advice: Check out the antiquated but tried and true local newspaper. I imagine there may may be a job in there for a teenager. Don't call. Show up in person and ask to talk with the manager. Be confident and convince them that is your job they are advertising. Wear a tie. Say "Yes, Sir" and "No, Sir". Be polite. If you need a haircut, get one. Make sure your pants don't ride so low that they show off your Spongebob Squarepants bloomers. Turn your cell phone off. If you have metal stuck in your face, take it out for the interview. Don't say "uh". Speak clearly and don't use slang. Remember, a little initiative goes a long way.

-Prof