Coral Vue Hydros

White spots on glass and back of tank.

twenty12

As the title says... I have these small white spots on the glass and back of my tank. I was away for a couple days and came home, went to the tank to clean it and saw a couple dozen white spots. What are these?

2367265965_a8cb8cae08_b.jpg

2368106068_669b65a633_b.jpg

Possibly spionid worms, which are harmless filter feeders. If you look really closely, do they look like tiny feather dusters with spiral shells?

Right now they look like just ewhite spots. There is a small ring on the edges that is blue or more translucent. Otherwise I see nothing (yet).

Thanks, will do.. I was not sure if I should clean it off to be safe or leave it if its benefical. :mellow:

I will keep any eye on it and see if anything happens...

Yes I do. I have seen white spots like these floating in the tank on a string of hair or something before as well. So maybe its eggs... do you think I should clean them off or let them try to "hatch"

^^^ Good article! :)

Here's another with some info on nerites & their eggs:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2003/invert.htm

In that article, Sprung states that he's not aware of success in raising young nerites from eggs...AFAIK, it is highly unlikely to have snails with planktonic larvae grow in our tanks...the conditions, (the right plankton, etc.) are difficult to achieve...But--nothing ventured, nothing gained!

twenty12--I'd leave them, unless they're seriously in your way. Even if they don't grow into baby snails, the larvae will certainly feed other critters in your tank.

--Diane

Archived