Coral Vue Hydros

O-man21's BC14 Thread

O-man21

I did upgrade the lighting when I had the 6 gallon to a Coralife 24" 50/50 bulb. You can see pictures of that fixture towards the bottom of the first page. I had that for about 2 weeks. Now I have the Biocube 14 with the stock lighting in it. It's 48W total. 24W 10000K, and 24W actinic.

EDIT:

:welcome:

Glad my thread is your first post!

Your tank looks great and I love those GSP you have, beautiful hot green colors. I also really like the black sand and would have gone with it but was too impatient! Ill be watching this thread... I am curious to know your thoughts on your green clown goby... does he mainly stay low in the tank, hop on rocks, lots of movement or hides, etc. Thanks!

Stryprod:

The Green Clown Goby is GREAT! Very personable. He perches at all levels of the tank, sitting mostly on the mushrooms like they are little chairs, and then switching to hide in crevasses and on the sand. He doesn't really have a specific area that he stays in, he just perches on the rocks all the time. He loves to sit on the mushrooms and watch everything. The only problem I have with him is that there really isn't a food that is small enough to fit into his mouth. He is able to eat the Small New Life Spectrum Marine Pellets, but it takes him a while and I worry he will choke. He does eat mysis, the pods in the tank, and cyclopeeze like crazy. His colors are phenomenal! He used to be a drab green with pale red stripes, but now he is a bright green and the red really pops when you look at him. Great color in the tank. I would definitely recommend one.

Thanks about the GSP, I'll be posting more pictures sometime this weekend since I got a new frogspawn!

Ok here are the pictures! My camera is just horrible. The colors are always washed out and the greens look like browns. So I took a couple pictures with the flash on and that made a huge difference!

FTS:

518006ug8.jpg

New Frogspawn W/O flash. Toby loves it more than my clowns do unfortunatly:

5-18005.jpg

Frogspawn with flash:

518015qf6.jpg

Unidentified Zoas. Possibly Dragon Eyes. In the 2 months I've have them they've produced 3 more poylps:

5-18013.jpg

Superman shroom with flash:

5-18017.jpg

Right Side:

5-18030.jpg

Left Side:

5-18031.jpg

Hope you guys like it!

Ok here are the pictures! My camera is just horrible. The colors are always washed out and the greens look like browns. So I took a couple pictures with the flash on and that made a huge difference!

Hope you guys like it!

Looks awesome.. Im so jealous! I actually just finishe re-doing my rock work and Ill get pictures up later tonight but granted I have no where near the amount of coral you have, let alone placed it anywhere lol. Looks great!

Thanks! Since tomorrow is our last day of school, I'm going to have a lot of free time between work and hanging out with friends. So sometime this week I plan on cleaning up all of that nasty epoxy I so carelessly used around the tank and taking the frags off of the frag plugs.

I also forgot to mention that I added a Hydor Flo and rearranged the PH's to help the flow. The corals like it A LOT more.

Also, if you look in the pictures of the frogspawn, the green star polyp looking stuff, is actually an encrusting gorgonian given to me by BibleSue. She calls it "Parsley." Anyways, I've had it maybe a month and a half and it's doubled the size of it's mat and is encrusting onto the rock that it's on. I can't wait til it's totally cover, it's going to look great!

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a long time since I've updated, and I've been busy! About a week and a half ago a took the time to retrofit another 24w PC into the canopy, thanks to the nanocustoms kit. It was a very easy install, and definitely worth the money.

About a week ago I added a frag of favia I think. There is a pick of it. I need an ID please.

Yesterday I added an open brain. I'm looking for an ID on it.

I've also added a couple SPS frags to see how they do. Purple monti cap with green polyps and a purple turbinaria frag. Both are from fragglereef.com. I got the turbinaria for free! Great site to shop with.

Anyways, here are some new pics! Again, my apologies. My camera is balls.

New Lights:

64013te4.jpg

64012pa1.jpg

New FTS:

64042hi7.jpg

Unknown LPS. In this pic the candy candy cane is pissed of because my clown keeps trying to host it. It's looked like that for a while now. I don't really know what to do.:

64006xz0.jpg

New Brain:

64007ay5.jpg

New SPS, Monti in middle of FUGLY epoxy, Turbinaria in far right lower corner:

64040no6.jpg

And now some actinic pics for fun!

64026xd0.jpg

64021ae6.jpg

64017uy0.jpg

64028de7.jpg

64032hy6.jpg

I actually just did a minor rescaping. I moved the GSP to the back and moved the brain to the sand where it should be. Here are some pics. Sorry, everything is still mad. I did it about 5 minutes before I took the pictures!

FTS:

642001ii6.jpg

Brain:

642002rb3.jpg

GSP:

642003tp4.jpg

Hey man, I've got the same zoas...the orange skirt with the dark brown and the yellow mouth...they look like bumble bees with orange skirts instead of the yellow, so I just call them orange skirted bumble bees...

Oh great! Thanks! I've seen something very similar to them called Dragons eyes too. Take a look at some Dragons Eyes and see if yours look like those.

I've got another update. Nothing new, just more pictures actually.

I just did a water change and cut out some mushrooms before this, so all the corals aren't open all the way.

FTS:

cimg1747wp2.jpg

GSP in new location:

cimg1744ta1.jpg

Favia:

cimg1749tx7.jpg

Lenny:

cimg1752ci6.jpg

Open Brain:

cimg1742rb3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Lenny died yesterday. I have no idea why. I saw him literally an hour and a half before he died and he looked totally healthy and happy. Water tested perfect.

More of an update soon.

I sold my open brain over the weekend, and ordered an acan lord colony from bluegrasscorals.com. I ordered it Sunday night, and it's not Tuesday at 2:45, and it has yet to ship. I'm a little annoyed with that.

Anyways, once I get the colony in I'll have real update.

Still haven't figured out why Lenny died. Spontaneous combustion maybe.

richard.hancock

sorry to hear about your fish...i hate it when one dies...but always gives me a reason to buy more i guess...your tank looks great...looking foward to more pics..

rich

Stay Cav

Ok here's the update! I got my acan from bluegrasscorals.com in this morning. Here are some pics of the packaging:

cimg1792re6.jpg

cimg1793xj9.jpg

Yes, that IS a Capri-Sun.

cimg1794kb3.jpg

cimg1796mr2.jpg

cimg1797ik8.jpg

All this unpacking made me thirsty. Luckily, he sent me a Capri-Sun! Fruit Punch too! So I drank it.

cimg1815lg9.jpg

Here's the new acan as it is right now, 4 hours after being added.

cimg1821yk0.jpg

Anyway, I also got some new salt in from the Good Doctors on Tuesday. I love the bucket it comes in, I'll definitely keep it after the salts gone. Red Sea Coral Pro.

cimg1811dn8.jpg

I got a clam last Thursday. I know it's not recommended at all under PC lights, but I have an arrangement with my LFS that if it starts to decline I can bring it back. So far it has not been gaping at all or doing anything out of the ordinary. I do plan on moving it to about 2" away from the lights as soon as it attaches to a rock I have buried under the sand.

cimg1819br4.jpg

Here's a new FTS.

cimg1834su2.jpg

I found a giant magnifying glass in my house, so I used it to take some of those pictures. It actually does make a difference. Here it is:

cimg1812dr9.jpg

Tell me what you guys think!

Got another shipment, in, so I got another update!

New brains, got them from reefhotspot.com. Overall good experience. The red one it a little bleached, but I feed daily, so he should color up soon. They almost look dyed. Do they do that to corals?

cimg1848xq7.jpg

cimg1855mf1.jpg

cimg1850hw4.jpg

FTS with flash:

cimg1861en7.jpg

FTS w/o flash:

cimg1866je3.jpg

Acan frag I got in on Tuesday:

cimg1865jl4.jpg

Thanks!

So far so good with the clam. It's only be a week though. Maybe 2 weeks. I lose track of time in the summer. The clowns were around him when I was taking pics so he closed up a bit, but he's good. No gaping at all, even with my PCs. I have suspicions of PM disease but I can't get a good enough pick that shows why I think so. I'll see if it gets better or worse before I subject him to a FW dip, I don't want to stress him out more than I need to. I do have an arrangement with my LFS that if he starts to decline from lack of light I can take him back to them for a refund. I'll move him to the top of the rocks before I take him back though. I feed everyday with Phyto-feast live, so I'm sure that's helping.

Well I did a 15 min FW dip with the clam 2 days ago. He looks tons better. No curl at all to his mantle. It must be Pinched Mantle disease. Hopefully it doesn't come back, because I've heard that FW dips are the only thing that works for PM. So I'll have to keep redipping him I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is more of a dark grey I would call it. Not dark black at all. But very good. I don't know what the big deal about keeping it clean is, I'd say it hides more than white sand does. I like it a lot and it makes the colors of the tank pop.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, sadly, the time has come. I have to break this thing down for college. I don't think I'll have to time or money to deal with it in a dorm. I'm keeping the tank, so I'll be back. Until then, the Lounge.

For Sale here.

• 2 years later...

She's back. Set her up again back at the end of September, and I just got back from GIRS Fall Fest with about 11 frags. Figure I'll make a post now.

Same lights, Nanocustoms 3.72 Upgrade, with a Maxi-Jet 900 for the sump and the thing broken to increase flow and surface skimming. Running Purigen and Chemi-Pure Elite.

The rock I got was not cured, had sat out for about 5 days, the LFS owner said some guy brought it in because he didn't want it, so I got a deal. Well, it was infested with bryopsis and caulerpa, so I'm battling that, but slowly winning I think.

Livestock:

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

2 Pom-Pom Crabs

Six Line Wrasse

Various Hermits and snails

Corals:

3 kinds of zoanthids

Superman Monti

Pokerstar Monti

Green branch with brown polyp birdsnest

Tyree Strawberry Patch Monti

Green Monti Cap

Red Acan lord

Pink Acan lord

Hydronopora

Blue and brown Chalice

Purple and Green Frogspawn

Montipora Undata

Ricordea Yuma

Red and Green Favia

Pulsing Xenia

76524_1581050764256_1175280253_31476768_2888018_n.jpg

149504_1581052164291_1175280253_31476771_933268_n.jpg

148660_1581054444348_1175280253_31476781_1575082_n.jpg

74458_1581041324020_1175280253_31476748_3852642_n.jpg

73199_1581041644028_1175280253_31476750_7387118_n.jpg

77130_1581041964036_1175280253_31476752_441999_n.jpg

75336_1581043804082_1175280253_31476760_5200961_n.jpg

150044_1581044284094_1175280253_31476763_270980_n.jpg

73565_1581048404197_1175280253_31476767_6285448_n.jpg

• 10 months later...

Long needed update.

Roommate and I just got back from MACNA, where we won too much free stuff.

We each one a LED fixture, so both got put onto the Biocube in ghetto fashion and the lid came off. I know I have hair algae problems on that back pump and a little cyano, it's being addressed. I just got my RO/DI back up and running, I was using Wal-Mart Distilled.

This one is a completely submersible Marineland LED light strip. Got it for free at the Reception, should be on sale in March of next year. Awesome!

imag0071c.jpg

And with the two LED fixtures, also from Marineland, and the LED light strip on also..

imag0073c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived