SaltCritters.com

(Nano Cube 12) Open top cover

outtafocus

I have a nano cube 12 dx. I am thinking of using my 150w MH hanging pendant above this tank, however I also have a cat. I am going to need to find something to allow maximun light into the tank but also keep curious paws out. I was thinking a sheet of clear acrylic cut to fit into the lip of the tank, or maybe eggcrate.

Any suggestions I am not aware of?

Also, is 150w too much for a 12 gal tank?

Thanks

I'm actually gonna buy a 150W MH for my NC12 anyway eggcrate seems like a good idea for a cover cause then you get good gas exchange but then it would probably be smart to get a ATO unit (auto top off) just so you don't have major salinity problems due to evaporation.

Already have the ATO, its actually a Tunze Osmolator. Very nice unit, except the wall transformer is huge.

I am not sure about how strong the eggcrate will be. If fat cat jumps up on it will it support her weight. I was thinking about reinforcing the eggcrate with an I beam made from more eggcrate just to give it strength.

Obsessed Reefer

Eggcrate would work best, but I'm not so sure it would support a cats weight. Maybe if you somehow could keep the cat away from the tank?

If I could keep the cat away from the tank, I wouldnt need to use anything on top. ;)

I currently have eggcrate on an old empty 10gal in my room and the cat sleeps on this, supports her weight with out a problem, But I was worried because the NC 12 has more width, but has less length.

A local shop suggested the MH may actually melt the eggcrate. I doubt this though, because the light will be at least 10 inches above the egg crate, and will have a fan. I could see the eggcrate melting only if the light were to sit right on the plastic.

Obsessed Reefer

If the Eggcrate already supports its weight, then just cut a piece that fits over the Nano Cube, and no, the MH is not going to melt the eggcrate.

Archived