Cultivated Reef

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Is there anyone that sells sexy shrimp online? I have been trying to find them for some time now.

phishyaly found this place: http://cgi.ebay.com/SEXY-shrimp-invertebra...1QQcmdZViewItem and she seemed pretty happy with their service. :) Edit: Link doesn't seem to be working.. Maybe you can PM phishy and she can get you a correct link!

Yesterday I noticed one of my females acting a bit strange. Instead of arching her tail up over her back like they usually do she was arching her tail under. Then she would use her back legs to sort of dig around in her tail. I saw here do it twice. My thought was maybe she was getting ready to lay eggs or molt? Has anyone else seen this? Any one know what it is about? I am not worried. Just wondering!

Don't worry! That means she is either getting ready to or already is holding eggs in her tail. If you look really closely, you can see the tiny round shapes through here tail, but sometimes a few will stick out and give you a better look. She will flatten her tail and clean them to make sure they aren't sticking together. If you keep watching, you'll probably catch her swooshing her little tail 'legs' around which means she is making sure the eggs are receiving fresh water and oxygen. I watch mine do this all the time! She'll probably begin producing eggs on a regular basis and they usually hatch at night. You can see them swimming around the water column if you shine them with a flashlight, or under moonlights. :)

Edited by Lalani

Hi im new

i love sexy shrimp as much as the next person but im getting a 24 gall tank with a pistol shrimp so i cant get any sexy shrimp but im also getting a 5.5 gall so how many sexy shrimp could i fit in a 5.5 please

Hi im new

i love sexy shrimp as much as the next person but im getting a 24 gall tank with a pistol shrimp so i cant get any sexy shrimp but im also getting a 5.5 gall so how many sexy shrimp could i fit in a 5.5 please

:welcome:

Why do you say you can't keep sexies because of the pistol? I have two pistol shrimp that hitchhiked on my LR, in my pico, and they never bother the sexies.

In a 5.5gal, you could easily keep 10 or so... They are very small. And they would love the smaller tank. :)

:welcome:

Why do you say you can't keep sexies because of the pistol? I have two pistol shrimp that hitchhiked on my LR, in my pico, and they never bother the sexies.

In a 5.5gal, you could easily keep 10 or so... They are very small. And they would love the smaller tank. :)

so it will be safe to keep 1 pistol shrimp and bout 10 sexies in 24 gall

so it will be safe to keep 1 pistol shrimp and bout 10 sexies in 24 gall

They shouldn't have any problem co-existing, especially with so much available real estate in a tank that size. What else are you planning on keeping in that tank? And as I said before, they would be easier to see in the smaller tank, but its all up to you. :D

Edited by Lalani
They shouldn't have any problem co-existing, especially with so much available real estate in a tank that size. What else are you planning on keeping in that tank? And as I said before, they would be easier to see in the smaller tank, but its all up to you. :D

i was thinking of :

-2 highfin goby

-1 pistol shrimp

-2 true perc clownfish

-10 hermets

-4 snails

-lot of coral

i was also thinking of puting a anenomi in but it might attack my coral

im setting a tank up at the same time as my friend who aked you how many sexies he could fit in 24 gall :D

I have a question for you all. Has anyone here kept their sexies with an actual anemone? I have been thinking of getting a mini-carpet and adding an anemone shrimp or some sexies. Do you all have any input?

Edited by silverdust

I see, so we have a competition on our hands! :lol:

Sounds like none of the inhabitants would bother the sexy shrimp, and they do a good job of fending for themselves, so I don't see any problem with your plans. You could add more sexies down the road, but remember to take things slow.

Also, the sexies would love an anemone, but the clownfish would probably take it over and, like you said, the nem could travel around the tank and kill your corals. Thats always a gamble.

Oh yeah, welcome to the addiction!

ok i might get a anenome with the live rock and so if i do il let it live for a while if it starts to move towards the coral il have to inject it to get rid of it i dont want my mushrooms and gsp dieing

I have a question for you all. Has anyone here kept their sexies with an actual anemone? I have been thinking of getting a mini-carpet and adding an anemone shrimp or some sexies. Do you all have any input?

Sexies would love an anemone! They even enjoy ricordea mushrooms. :)

ooooohhhhhh i forgot about a firefish in the tabk aswell

The firefish would be fine too. ;)

ok i might get a anenome with the live rock and so if i do il let it live for a while if it starts to move towards the coral il have to inject it to get rid of it i dont want my mushrooms and gsp dieing

If you're talking about a pest anemone like majano or aptasia, its kind of hit or miss if they will host one of those. I'm sure there are a few 'coo coo for coco puff' sexies that would do this, but you're risking a pest anemone infestation for a chance.

Don't worry! That means she is either getting ready to or already is holding eggs in her tail. If you look really closely, you can see the tiny round shapes through here tail, but sometimes a few will stick out and give you a better look. She will flatten her tail and clean them to make sure they aren't sticking together. If you keep watching, you'll probably catch her swooshing her little tail 'legs' around which means she is making sure the eggs are receiving fresh water and oxygen. I watch mine do this all the time! She'll probably begin producing eggs on a regular basis and they usually hatch at night. You can see them swimming around the water column if you shine them with a flashlight, or under moonlights. :)

Thanks Lalani! I was hoping that was it. I will start watching to see if the hatch!

BTW have you switched your tank yet? I keep forgetting to ask how it went it you have already done it.

anyway lalani how have your sexies bin getting on lately :D

They're good, thanks for asking.

Thanks Lalani! I was hoping that was it. I will start watching to see if the hatch!

BTW have you switched your tank yet? I keep forgetting to ask how it went it you have already done it.

Your post made me think, so I went and checked my sexies.... The female is loaded with eggs again. I'll try and get some macro shots of them, if possible.

And I have not switched tanks yet. I should be going to PetsMart in the next few days. Thats the only place where I can find different size tanks for reasonable prices. Sooo, it shouldn't be long now. Thankfully, because I'm getting tired of having to scrape algae off the acrylic walls with my old drivers license every time I do a water change.

Your post made me think, so I went and checked my sexies.... The female is loaded with eggs again. I'll try and get some macro shots of them, if possible.

And I have not switched tanks yet. I should be going to PetsMart in the next few days. Thats the only place where I can find different size tanks for reasonable prices. Sooo, it shouldn't be long now. Thankfully, because I'm getting tired of having to scrape algae off the acrylic walls with my old drivers license every time I do a water change.

LOL it is funny how we come up with so many "tools" needed for our tanks! My newest one is a set of chop sticks! It was the only way I could get my ric out of the back of my tank when it detached. And it worked very well too! I would love to see pictures of your sexy with eggs. I can't see any sign of eggs yet but I will keep looking and hope to get a picture too.

Let us know how it goes when you do switch tanks. I can't even think of how to start going about that! Good luck!

Reef Chicks

Speaking of tools, especially for rics, I use one of those pipette things to syphon rics out of the back of my tank. It works pretty good once you get the hang of it.

whofeelsitknowsit - I got my sexies from Christina at piece-of-the-reef.com. She was great! I highly recommend them. They have great prices and shipping practices. She is in FL and didn't ship till 5pm, so my sexies were in transit/bags less than 24hrs.

whofeelsitknowsit
whofeelsitknowsit - I got my sexies from Christina at piece-of-the-reef.com. She was great! I highly recommend them. They have great prices and shipping practices. She is in FL and didn't ship till 5pm, so my sexies were in transit/bags less than 24hrs.

Thanks! I will check her out.

Yes try ebay....I have been watching her sexy post for a bit from piece-of the reef. I wont but anymore until I see the 3 that have been phantoms in my tank for 2 weeks. Christinas pic on ebay of her facility is awesome. Picture your garage under water and instead of tools on the shelves there is corals. AWESOME!

LOL it is funny how we come up with so many "tools" needed for our tanks! My newest one is a set of chop sticks!

Chop sticks.... in a reef tank...

SUSHI!!!! :lol:

I think I'll be getting the new tank today, so I guess I need to start mixing some fresh SW, just in case.... Not another tank swap.... I'm off my rocker...

Chop sticks.... in a reef tank...

SUSHI!!!! :lol:

I think I'll be getting the new tank today, so I guess I need to start mixing some fresh SW, just in case.... Not another tank swap.... I'm off my rocker...

Now how did sushi never even enter my mind!! Good luck with the swap! We would love to see pictures when you are done!

Phishyaly, I guess I am still too much of a newb...what is a pipette?

Alright people, I seem to have caught a half-assed shot of my female sexy shrimp with eggs. You can kind of see how the sections of her tail separate to expand and fit in all of the eggs. I'll try to get a better shot tomorrow. :)

DSCN8797.jpg