inTank Media Baskets

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

jedimasterben
Were they destroying your zoas, Ben? :(

Decimating is a better word, and I had some LPS that were doing poorly, as well, back then, and started to look better once the shrimp were gone. Won't make that mistake again.

How many sexies can I have in my 29 gallon with a pair of porcelain crab, a ton of snails, and some blue legged?

Upwards of 50 easily, lol. They are very tiny little shrimp :P

Upwards of 50 easily, lol. They are very tiny little shrimp :P

I can feed that many without my tank crashing or them killing all my coral! :P looking into 5,7 or 9!

Lol, any of those numbers would work fine. Just be forewarned, like Ben said, many of them pick at corals. They seem to have an appetite for zoa/paly skirts

• Like 1

Took mine back to the LFS. Just tired of them dancing on corals and also tired of always target feeding and worrying that they may end up munching on coral. I think I'm done with shrimp and crabs tbh.

The sexys may have never bothered anything, but I didn't have peace of mind.

I have lost 4 shrimp in the past few months. Not sure what is happening to them. I had 7 now I only have 3. I target feed them every other day so I'm not sure what's wrong. I have a Pom Pom crab and an emerald crab but I never see them any where close to my sexies. They normally hang out with the Maxie's and the rock flower all the time. I'm really confused as to what is happening to my shrimp.

Any ideas?

I have lost 4 shrimp in the past few months. Not sure what is happening to them. I had 7 now I only have 3. I target feed them every other day so I'm not sure what's wrong. I have a Pom Pom crab and an emerald crab but I never see them any where close to my sexies. They normally hang out with the Maxie's and the rock flower all the time. I'm really confused as to what is happening to my shrimp.

Any ideas?

Could the maxi's be eating them? I know sometimes they will eat fish.

I don't know. They seem to be living fine during the day and when I look at them.

It seems odd. That could be the reason why there is no bodies showing.

robbie, sorry about losing your sexies. :(

i'm dealing with a problem of my own--a huge

amphipods explosion. they are large (i've a few

that look to be almost 1/2 inch big), aggressive,

and don't even bother to hide in daylight.

they've been stealing the pellets i drop to feed

my sexy shrimps. one shrimp fights for its pellet,

the other seems to go hungry. it's very frustrating

that half the time, i seem to be feeding the amphipods.

i only have a less than 3 gallon pico and i don't

think i can bring anything in to deal with the population?

I would try a small active goby. My green banded goby has a big appetite and easy to target feed. If he can't eat the biggest ones, it should still be good to control them before they have a chance to grow that large.

• Like 1

I have those types of pods as well.

They are almost the size of my upside down goby.

I know you say you only have a 3 gal but maybe you can get a really small possums wrasse?

I know the fish police are going to be all over me for saying that but you could put it in there for a bit to eat the pods and then trade him to someone with a bigger tank.

I hope you get the pod under control soon so your sexies don't starve.

Rob

• Like 1

thank you, rob. one shrimp seems to be

holding its own, the other seems more shy,

even without competition. not sure what's

going on. but i'm hoping to upgrade to a 8 gallon

in september so i'll be able to add at least two

little fish then (maybe goby or blenny?).

I have a 8 gal cad light tank right now ( building a 20gal long )and I have a purple firefish and a upside down goby in it. I think your 3 gal could hold a clown goby for sure

Rob

• Like 1

*sigh*

So I'm pretty convinced at least one of my shrimp are picking at my corals though I think they only pick at the damaged ones... Which is okay, except they don't stop at the tissue. So far, they've mowed down a head of frogspawn, an acan, and now they're messing with a bird of paradise which I'd like to keep alive as I've just got it today :mellow: Everything else they leave alone, zoas included. I currently have them in an inverted bottle trap, but just wondering if you guys have a long term solution? lol.

(anyone in the SoCal area need a trio? :D)

jedimasterben
just wondering if you guys have a long term solution?

Kill them or get rid of them, those are pretty much your two options. Squishing my last few was almost satisfying lol

Kill them or get rid of them, those are pretty much your two options. Squishing my last few was almost satisfying lol

Haha I will do my best to get an LFS or a local reefer to take them in before I rampage :D

Haha I will do my best to get an LFS or a local reefer to take them in before I rampage :D

oh man, that breaks my heart. we've all read reports

of them eating coral, but some contend not if they

are well fed. i think it really comes down to the shrimp.

i'm assuming you're spot feeding them just fine? sorry,

man. that is a total bummer. :(

oh man, that breaks my heart. we've all read reports

of them eating coral, but some contend not if they

are well fed. i think it really comes down to the shrimp.

i'm assuming you're spot feeding them just fine? sorry,

man. that is a total bummer. :(

Yeah I'll give em each a pellet or so but I'll find them picking at the coral later anyways :closedeyes: I'm pretty sure they're just picking at dead tissue, but when they do that, the coral doesn't get a chance to recover. I'm keeping them in the bottle trap for now while I call around some LFS. They're really cool little guys but I think I am content with my crab and goby :)

Yeah I'll give em each a pellet or so but I'll find them picking at the coral later anyways :closedeyes: I'm pretty sure they're just picking at dead tissue, but when they do that, the coral doesn't get a chance to recover. I'm keeping them in the bottle trap for now while I call around some LFS. They're really cool little guys but I think I am content with my crab and goby :)

i've seen them do the same on my GSP. but

i always figure, if majorly annoyed, they'd close up?

hope you find a non-death resolution for them.

i've seen them do the same on my GSP. but

i always figure, if majorly annoyed, they'd close up?

hope you find a non-death resolution for them.

Here's what I've got for now... a makeshift breeder box to keep them isolated.

http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/antsypants77/media/IMG_7886_zpsff7a3a59.jpg.html'>IMG_7886_zpsff7a3a59.jpg

What I wasn't counting on was that since it's closer to the current, my female sexy decided to hatch her eggs overnight :blink: So I woke up to a bunch of baby shrimp swimming around in the box haha

http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/antsypants77/media/IMG_7883_zps67dee958.jpg.html'>IMG_7883_zps67dee958.jpg

I will put relocation on hold for the time being because I'm curious about the babies. After some research, I know I'm ill equipped to raise this batch so I released some into the tank and kept the rest in the box and I'm just gonna see what happens though the outcome will likely be grim :(

• Like 1