Top Shelf Aquatics

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

antsypants

Had a LFS order them for me and i just picked them up in the bag for cheap since they would just get lost in his 1000+ gallon system. He ordered some extras in case of this, and one other person is getting some hopefully there will be some left for me to get.

Ah I see, well I hope you have better luck with your new ones when you get them :)

• Like 1

That's what he was holding them in. Just didn't make it from shipping I guess :(

It happens. Keep in mind they are going thru quite drastic changes as far as water parameters, temperature swings and occasional rough handling in transport. Your best bet is with acclimated sexies few days after their journey to your lfs. Hope your next attempt at sexies has a happier ending.

Only reason I did it this way was cause I paying half the price of the other LFS. I'm still waiting to hear if he is gonna have any left. Done a lot of business with that store so I'm sure he will help me out since they died but there is no telling. Just glad I got one little dancer to watch at least tried snapping a pic but he/she ran off :(

Only reason I did it this way was cause I paying half the price of the other LFS. I'm still waiting to hear if he is gonna have any left. Done a lot of business with that store so I'm sure he will help me out since they died but there is no telling. Just glad I got one little dancer to watch at least tried snapping a pic but he/she ran off :(

aww, i hope it works out. i know sexies are

social the one must be lonely. i only have a pair.

and since my pom crab died :( yesterday, i'm considering

adding at least one more sexy. but probably not until

after my summer trip away. good luck!!

• Like 1

My rock flower is on the fritz.... Wondering if the constant badgering from 2-3 sexies.... Blah

That is possible lol. My other two are constantly on my condy non-stop. Only time they move is when he eats. God help him once my porcelain crab finds him hahaha.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

IMAG0149.jpgFinally got a pic of the lil guy dancin on my white rock flower nem. :D

holy jeebus that thing is bleached!! :o

• Like 1

holy jeebus that thing is bleached!! :o

That's what a few others have said, but this is how I bought it and it's not the first all white one I've seen. Granted I got it at Petco so there is no telling but it's been almost a month and I'm just now starting to notice faint pinwheel stripes of blue but are only noticeable when up close. So don't think it's color will change much more.

jedimasterben

That's what a few others have said, but this is how I bought it and it's not the first all white one I've seen. Granted I got it at Petco so there is no telling but it's been almost a month and I'm just now starting to notice faint pinwheel stripes of blue but are only noticeable when up close. So don't think it's color will change much more.

It's not the first one I've seen that was that far gone, either, and I've even seen a few come back from it. There is no such thing as a photosynthetic anemone that stays white. They're colored or are a tannish color. Like my new sebae anemone:

IMG_6846.jpg

There are no non-bleached sebae anemones. They ship very poorly, a lot die, but I've never seen one shipped that didn't bleach out. It takes a few months, but they will get a tan color to them, like this:

IMG_20120410_180432.jpg

If you can see any color on it now, then that's a good thing, means it will recover if taken care of. Feed it (and feed it well) and it will expedite the recovery process.

• Like 1

thanks for that JEDI.

one of my sexies molted and even its exo's tail

waves. ha! i was worried i didn't see it earlier

(after pom death) but they are both by my kenyan tree.

how are everyone's new sexies doing? acclimating well?

mine only "hid" for about a day.

opaquelace

IMAG0149.jpgFinally got a pic of the lil guy dancin on my white rock flower nem. :D

omg so they will go on rock anemones!!! Ok now I need some. 2 for each anemone lol.
Out of the 3 Sexy's I have it seems this one prefers to host my polyps while the other 2 host the anemone lol.

Sexyhostpolyp.jpg

i don't know how i missed this

but fabulous foto!

does anyone know if sexies eat

copepods? i'm guessing no?

• Like 1

i don't know how i missed this but fabulous foto! does anyone know if sexies eat copepods? i'm guessing no?

Awe...thank you Cindy :)

To the best of my knowledge, no they will not eat copepods.

i don't know how i missed this

but fabulous foto!

does anyone know if sexies eat

copepods? i'm guessing no?

I don't see why not. They don't swallow food in whole but rather chew on whatever it is they choose to feed on. They also like meaty food so I would say yes to your question. They won't thin out your population but will hunt for them if they have to. If you are looking for copepods population control, then don't count on sexies for that task. They won't make a dent as they feed on various food sources in your tank. And I am pretty sure they are and will be in position to be picky and selective.

• Like 2

how is everyone's sexies doing?

i have a bigger one and a smaller one, it

might be almost 2x as large as the smaller.

i feed them pellets and today, i saw the bigger

one bully the smaller and make him drop his food. =(

kicker is, i had dropped a pellet for the big one

too, and he didn't even go get either of the pellets.

i noticed that my blue cloves coral has been closed

because the smaller sexy has been near or on it. i hope

it's not starting to nibble on it from hunger.

sexy shrimps drama!!

So far so good. Two of mine are still on or in my anemone lol...they got them a good buddy it looks like. The third one is still hosting my polyps and they don't seem to mind at all. I think he likes it there because when I feed mysis the polyps catch it to eat and he can take his pic of what he wants lol.

• Like 1

hrm. how can i tell if my sexy shrimp

is eating my GSP? will the coral grass tips

retract if so? the coral is high and big sexy

has been bottom dwelling. tonight i saw

it in GSP 2x and it looked like it might be

eating on the coral? not sure.

i feed the two sexies 1 or 2 pellets a day.

FlowerMama

They could just be picking at any debris that has fallen into the gsp. If the gsp is really bothered they will close up.

• Like 1