Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

I have a shrimp that looks just like the shrimp in this thread, but it's clear instead of red. I thought it was a sexy shrimp, but I don't see any others on here that look like it. Do I just have a different color sexy shrimp, or is it not a sexy shrimp at all?

Hmmmm, do you have any pics of the little guy? It may be another type of anemone shrimp, like a spotted or pederson's..

Links to pics of those two types of shrimp: Look like yours?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drsteve/2433098736/

http://www.aquatic-photography.com/forum/s...read.php?t=6355

Thanks! I'm just trying to help. :happy:

Kim, go ahead and add it to the first post. The more people know about it, the better.

Done and done! :)

Edited by Lalani
yankeereefer

There are some sexies that known to be light gray which might appear to be clear in color. They are the same species as the typical red ones.

There are some sexies that known to be light gray which might appear to be clear in color. They are the same species as the typical red ones.

:blink: I did not know that. That's for this info, yankee! :D

Hmmmm, do you have any pics of the little guy? It may be another type of anemone shrimp, like a spotted or pederson's..

Links to pics of those two types of shrimp: Look like yours?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drsteve/2433098736/

http://www.aquatic-photography.com/forum/s...read.php?t=6355

Looks like the first one, but without the small spots all around the head, and the spots on the tail are brown instead of purple. Probably just the opposite sex of the one in the pic. But it does the "sexy dance" like the sexy shrimp do. I guess that's why I thought it was a sexy shrimp. Thanks Lalani!

yankeereefer

my fiancee called me. It seems that one of the new shrimp died :( I'm now down to 2 of the 4 from the group buy + my original 3.

They were kinda scrawny, but I still have hope the others will fair better. I wonder if DFS/LA livestock "fitness" determines what goes in the weekly sale...A hi-fin goby from our group buy died during transit. It was very emaciated and IMO should not have been shipped to begin with.

well, my one and only sexy shrimp just past away today... I saw him standing still not moving at all so I tried to kind of go near him and scare him into moving but he wouldn't move... In fact, he kind of tumbled down the rock and then fell onto the sand bed... I'm convinced he was either not able to find food despite my dropping food in the tank or that being by himself finally got to him...

I'm so depressed about it right now and I feel so bad about it... I'll have to try again at another time but this time with more than 1 and with proper direct feeding...

:(

Nice shots, Bonsai, and welcome to the Sexy Club! :happydance:

I ordered three more sexies for mom's tank, so hopefully they'll join my current two soon. :)

Sexy Shrimp

I think I'm getting my first clutch of eggs! She squeezed out half a dozen then hid. Luckily I got one picture!!!!!

100_2917.jpg

Or maybe not - seems she has dropped them all :(

Is it possible to capture one, put it in a breeder net and then release it when the eggs are hatched and raise the fry in the net?

Edited by L34NN3
But she's a baby-makin' slut. :P

Sounds like a plan! When are we going to see it? ;)

I just found this thread and cannot stop laughing about the slut comments.

:rolleyes::D

I have a picotope 3 gallon that houses a tomato clown (he was banned from the 24 gallon) do you think he would hurt kill them?

My initial thought was no as he never seemed to go after the crabs or hermits, however he did seriously mame my cardinal fish. In his defense none of my previous fish liked the pj cardinal fish.

Another quick question - do you feed every day to keep them away from your corals?

I think I'm getting my first clutch of eggs! She squeezed out half a dozen then hid. Luckily I got one picture!!!!!

Or maybe not - seems she has dropped them all :(

Is it possible to capture one, put it in a breeder net and then release it when the eggs are hatched and raise the fry in the net?

Ack, sorry I missed this post, Leanne! Congrats on the prego shrimp, how's she doing now?

And I suppose you could try to catch one female and put her in a breeding net, but you never know when she will release the eggs. Mine held on to her eggs for several weeks one time.

I just found this thread and cannot stop laughing about the slut comments.

:rolleyes::D

I have a picotope 3 gallon that houses a tomato clown (he was banned from the 24 gallon) do you think he would hurt kill them?

My initial thought was no as he never seemed to go after the crabs or hermits, however he did seriously mame my cardinal fish. In his defense none of my previous fish liked the pj cardinal fish.

Another quick question - do you feed every day to keep them away from your corals?

You have a tomato clown in a 3 gal. tank??? I'm surprised it hasn't killed itself yet! :shock:

Seriously, that's not a good idea. But if it hasn't bothered any other inverts, it should be fine with sexies, just keep an eye out.

I feed my sexies once a day, a little piece of flake food, or else they chow down on zoa skirts. -_-

You have a tomato clown in a 3 gal. tank??? I'm surprised it hasn't killed itself yet! :shock:

Seriously, that's not a good idea. But if it hasn't bothered any other inverts, it should be fine with sexies, just keep an eye out.

Yeah, I know but he is loving it!!! He even dances for me - my little puppy.

He never swam around in the 37 gallon. He always hung out at the bottom near a rock and swam cicles around the rock he hosted all day. He even dances when I hand feed him.

I never wanted to put him in a small tank, and was trying to give him away right after he killed my pj fish. What changed my mind? Someone posted the video of a mantis shrimp killing a tomato clown in a pet store. Apparently the owner was furious with a pair of tomato clowns for killing fish so he threw them in with a mantis shrimp. It was then that I realized I could not give him away as he has been with me for 6 years and the thought that someone might harm him bothered me. Do not get me wrong I am still PO'd at him for killing my peaceful PJ fish. I was so desperate I was going to see if the local aquarium would take him.

Not sure why but he never grew in the 37 gallon - he is still pretty small and not much bigger than the false percs.

I promise that when I can afford to run another larger tank I will put him in it. Though he is loving this one more than he did the 37 gallon.

mikescrazywife

post-38162-1217914846_thumb.jpg

post-38162-1217914811_thumb.jpg

I'll join the sexy club....oops, I mean the sexy shrimp club! Mine host my frogspawn!

I really want about 20 of them...they are so much fun to watch. The pick all over the sand for leftover food after lights out so if I slightly overfeed the tank, they eat WELL!!! How many are too many in a 25G tank?

Gin

I have 3 in a 3g picotope and I've noticed them bugging (picking at) a few of my corals, like my blue cloves and my acan frag. Anyone else having this kind of problem with them?

CorvetteJoe

I just showed my wife the Sexy Shrimp thread and she loves them!

AND...a local store has several in stock.... hrmmmm

I was thinking of getting a little pico tank, 2+ gal or so and toss some of my frags in there to propagate along with some sexy shrimp. My wife was asking if they could live in the main tank instead of starting a new tank.

Could they? Here is a quick list of what I got:

BC29: sixline, clown, 2 firefish, pep shrimp, emerald crab, anemone, urchin, serpent star... i think thats all the main players... plus tons of zoas, mushrooms and GSP.

Any reason I couldn't? I told her they might get eaten, but then I thought about it, and all my fish are small and don't ever touch the snails, crabs or corals... so I got to thinking perhaps they could live in that tank?

theyd probably be ok in the main tank but the problem is that theyre very small... you might not see them as often/easily as you would in a pico

I'll join the sexy club....oops, I mean the sexy shrimp club! Mine host my frogspawn!

I really want about 20 of them...they are so much fun to watch. The pick all over the sand for leftover food after lights out so if I slightly overfeed the tank, they eat WELL!!! How many are too many in a 25G tank?

Gin

Congrats!! How many you can put in a 25gal tank depends on how many other animals you have in the tank, but probably anywhere up to 25.

I have 3 in a 3g picotope and I've noticed them bugging (picking at) a few of my corals, like my blue cloves and my acan frag. Anyone else having this kind of problem with them?

Next time you see them on the corals, see if they are actually picking and pulling off tissue. If they aren't, they are simply perching. :)

Could they? Here is a quick list of what I got:

BC29: sixline, clown, 2 firefish, pep shrimp, emerald crab, anemone, urchin, serpent star... i think thats all the main players... plus tons of zoas, mushrooms and GSP.

Any reason I couldn't? I told her they might get eaten, but then I thought about it, and all my fish are small and don't ever touch the snails, crabs or corals... so I got to thinking perhaps they could live in that tank?

Hmmmm, everything looks fine, but I'm not sure about the sixline wrasse. If he hasn't shown any aggression to any of the other inhabitants, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to keep sexies in your main tank. :)

CorvetteJoe
Hmmmm, everything looks fine, but I'm not sure about the sixline wrasse. If he hasn't shown any aggression to any of the other inhabitants, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to keep sexies in your main tank. :)

That would be awesome, but jewbilee's comment (right above yours) about them hiding a lot in a larger tank kind of keeps me from wanting any. I don't want any more hiding or nocturnal critters though.

Are they social enough to hang out in the open all day, or sit around on their hosted corals during the day?

Do they scare easy if there are fish swimming overhead?

The sixline couldn't care less about anything in there, but he does like to swim up quickly to everybody, inspect them and swim quickly away. The shrimp are so tiny I wouldn't want them frightened and hiding all the time.

Hrmm lots to think about...

Are they social enough to hang out in the open all day, or sit around on their hosted corals during the day?

Do they scare easy if there are fish swimming overhead?

It all depends on the shrimp and how large a group they are kept in. If you put one or two shrimp in a tank that size, they will most likely hide all day long, but if you put a group of 5 or more, they will likely hang out on the rocks or find a coral (most likely branching) that they would decide to host.

Mine have no problem with the fish swimming around, they pretty much ignore everything and will even hitch a ride on top of the snails. :)

Hi everyone.

I have an issue in my Picotope -- my coral aren't happy. My zoas open maybe 25% of their full size and even my GSP gets ticked off once in a while.

The suspect? My 3 Sexy Shrimp.

I want to banish them for a week to see if the coral return to their full size. If they do, I know who the guilty party are ... if the corals don't open, I know I have another issue at hand.

But where can I banish them to? If I put them in my AC70 'fuge for a week, will they survive? All that's in there is a 25W heater, a submersible 'fuge light, and Chaeto..

Thoughts?

Ok, let's try to figure this out. What makes you think they are the problem? Have you actually noticed them on the corals?

First thing I would do is test the water. Make sure everything is ok and double check the temperature with a second thermometer.

If the fuge has enough space for them to live comfortably, go for it, but if not try to get one of those breeder nets, if there is room for it in the display.

And keep us updated! ;)