Cultivated Reef

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Sexy Shrimp

I have just bought 5 sexies at £7 each ($14). I was a bit worried they would disappear in my 24g. They did at first but today they have decided to colonise mushie corner. Right at the front of the tank! Here is a pic of them and my Mithrax called Peas.

100_2698.jpg

here's mine, hi to ppl in nano-reef.

:welcome: to NR and the Sexy Club!

I have just bought 5 sexies at £7 each ($14). I was a bit worried they would disappear in my 24g. They did at first but today they have decided to colonise mushie corner. Right at the front of the tank! Here is a pic of them and my Mithrax called Peas.

Congrats, and welcome to the Sexy Club! :P

Great pic of them, they look right at home!

Sexy Shrimp

Thanks Lalani. I've finally worked out how to focus on something, hold it, shift the position and then snap. I am hopeless with cameras so that is a good shot for me.

Deleted User 6

So I am indeed upgrading to a 10g. Out of my 3 sexies, I have one remaining. Question: will peppermint or skunk cleaner shrimp be aggressive towards sexies? I have some aiptasia that I want my pepp. to take care of but I don't want my sexy to get eaten...

Also, I have a Biocube 14 with the following:

1 Oc. clown

1 firefish

8 or so snails

4 scarlet hermits

1 dwarf red hermit

1 Mithrax

1 Porcelain crab

1 Pepp. shrimp

1 Fire shrimp

Will any of those bother the sexies if I decide to put a few in my biocube (or am I overstocked already anyways?)

I don't see anything on the list that would bother the sexies... Basically, the only critters that will bother them are those that eat inverts, or those that are very territorial and the sexies cross into their territory.

I have 5 sexies and just got a peppermint shrimp last weekend. They have been fine together. They don't even compete for food. They all seem happy!

yankeereefer

Well, sorta.....

I'm still trying to tie up loose ends with several other "projects" -

1) RO membranes and filters changed out

a) I've been doing aggressive w/c's and manual removal of GHA in the 20H

2) New stand for my existing 20H or possibly 33g cube is virtually done - Have to skin it and seal the inside

a ) I lost some time on the stand trying to figure out how to design it's sides to remain removable

B ) Plumbing comes next - I got a QO3000 for free from a local - This will be my return. I may also install a QO1200 on a CLS

3) 46bf remains to be taken down and traded - Will begin to drain this week and figure out what to do with all the gravel. This was a freshwater setup

4) Build new lighting fixture for the sexy shrimp

a) I have workhorse ballast, "canopy", and 2x18w sunpaqs - Everything just needs to be assembled

I still have the nursery tank running and have played a couple times with hatching BBS. I used the San Francisco brand BS and didn't care for it. I need to still experiment with either decapping eggs or buying decapped eggs - I am also considering moving my sexies to a 5.5g so that I can setup a larval snagger in the display - This will allow me to catch the hatch while I sleep vs. having to try and keep waking up hourly.

Whew - sorry for the long answer. I think I may let this hatch go given all of the above. This will allow me to finish up all that stuff, but also get a better idea of cycle times of my shrimp so I can be better prepared.

How're you doing? Any closer to trying to collect them?

Edited by yankeereefer

You DO have a lot going on! I'm sure if you take care of a few things on the list, you'll have a little more motivation, and time especially, to get this going.

I've been busy trying to get my pico upgrade tank ready. I had to take out the false wall and replace it with another one, because the paint on the inside did not work out. We've switched it out for a frosted glass pane. Just waiting for the silicone to cure, then I'll fill it up.

Then I've got to mix up saltwater for water changes... I've skipped the last two weekends. :o

I'm going to Mobile, AL this weekend, so I'm going to hold off on transferring everything from the pico to the new one until I get back on Monday. Once the transfer is finished, I will be able to clean out the pico and set it up for the larvae tank. Still need to get a BBS hatchery, which I may try to DIY, and buy the eggs.

So it will be a little longer before I get around to this project. I'm really looking forward to it, though. :)

Well my sexies are very active today! They are actually swimming! I don't know about everyone else's but mine are usually pretty mellow. Today the are swimming all over the place. They are all sort of circling the tank. Even my peppermint shrimp is doing it. I am thinking one of my females has a new batch of eggs maybe. Do they put off a scent or something when they are ready to um... get sexy?

Here a a few recent pictures. I caught 2 of them sharing the same pellet the other day. It was fun to watch them eat together. The shared it for about 5 minutes. They all seem to be happy! I think my biggest female released her babies last night. I got a really good look at the eggs yesterday and she is looking smaller today. No sign of them in the tank though.

They aren't great pictures 'cause my camera sucks but at least they are clear!

post-34856-1210711712_thumb.jpg

post-34856-1210711775_thumb.jpg

post-34856-1210711947_thumb.jpg

Edited by jennifro

Lol, they sound happy! My little male sexy will swim around the tank, in circles, when I turn the filter off for water changes. It's one of the funniest things to watch. :D

Those pics are great, and the sexies look healthy and happy!

What kind of sand is that?

I'm not really sure what kind it is. MY brother had it in his tank then decided he wanted black sand so he pulled it out and put it in a bag. A sealed bag. Then a few weeks later he gave it to me. It smelled musty when I put it in. I don't think I would have used it if I were setting up now. I can't imagine what kinds of bacteria must have been in it! But it has turned out okay. My biggest complaint is that it starts looking dingy pretty quick. I blow it lightly with the turkey baster when I do water changes. Every little piece of snail poo shows on it though.

It was so fun to watch my little sexies swimming so much. They were going crazy! I have never seen them so energized! I mostly never see them swim. They just walk around and jump once in a while if something scares them. But they were swimming laps today and then landing in places I have never seen them like the water output and even the sides of the tank. So much fun! My water was a little off yesterday. My alk. was low and my salinity was high so I took care of that. Maybe that gave them a little boost!

I can't wait to see pictures of your new tank once it is all set up! I hope it goes well!

Sorry Jenn, I never got a notice that you posted.

It looks like silica sand because it is so fine. If it's working for you, good. :)

Glad you're little shrimp are having fun, and hope that you sorted out the water issue.

No problem Lalani! I don't expect you to answer EVERY post right away. You are really good about that though.

Is silica sand usually not a good thing? When I set up my tank I know NOTHING. I didn't realize the amount of research that should go into a reef tank until after I had it set up and cycling. I haven't even given the sand a second thought other then the fact that I like my mom's black sand better. Seem to be just fine in my tank though. Other then the snail poo problem. Although that has been better lately. I think I have my CUC in a really good balance now. My peppermint shrimp was a great addition. He eats out of my hand and come out of his favorite cave every time I sit down to check things out. He goes back in though if I don't produce a snack for him pretty quickly! He has done great with my sexies so far. If anything the sexies are the dominate ones!

Have a great weekend! I hope your tank swapping goes well next week. Can't wait to see the new tank!

Well, I know that a few other people have used the silica sand.. it's usually the playground sand... without any problems. I'm not sure and maybe you should ask the pros, but it's not made of argonite so it doesn't buffer the water. But, like I said, some have used it with no problems. :)

I'm in Mobile, AL right now, so I won't be able to transfer the sexies to their new tank until I get back. I'm anxious!!

Edited by Lalani

The sexies have been transfered to their upgrade tank, and they look happy! Last night, only a few hours after the transfer, the female released another batch of babies. I don't know if it was due to stress or not, but the little guys were squirming around, so they looked healthy. Now I can get to work on cleaning the pico and getting everything ready to try and raise the next batch. :)

This is my new group. They're in my 1/2 10 now. They're fairly settled in and they've inspected the bubble coral pretty thoroughly. Very interesting and tiny creatures.

DSC_1166.jpg

Bill

Edited by varanus37

Can I join, now that I have 3 sexies in my 7 gallon bow front? I got them 3 days ago and they are doing great. They are deciding their favorite spots. I think my husband is worried about our zoa.s. I think I've got two females and one male. After I clean the glass and charge up the batteries I'll post some pic.s.

This is my new group. They're in my 1/2 10 now. They're fairly settled in and they've inspected the bubble coral pretty thoroughly. Very interesting and tiny creatures.

DSC_1166.jpg

Bill

Yay!

Can I join, now that I have 3 sexies in my 7 gallon bow front? I got them 3 days ago and they are doing great. They are deciding their favorite spots. I think my husband is worried about our zoa.s. I think I've got two females and one male. After I clean the glass and charge up the batteries I'll post some pic.s.

Welcome to the Sexy Club! :happydance:

If you feed them flake or pellet food, they really shouldn't bother any of the corals. They will stand on them, but the corals adjust over time.

What a cute little female ya have there!

Well, I finally caught my two sexies doing the naughty dance today. I took a bunch of pics, being the voyeur that I am, so I'll upload a couple later. :)