ReefCleaners.org

Lalani's 20H

Lalani

Hey Lalani, those zoa shots are amazing! I can't wait to get some more color in my tank. That clown goby is a pretty cute little fish. Beautiful tank.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me too, such characters! He is finally starting to explore the tank a little more, so thats a good sign. Also, there has been an explosion in the amphipod population and Bob is getting fat.....ter. :D

Thanks Colin, you're tank is going to look awesome when you start stocking. :)

Ok, these pics are strictly for my own amusement and tank journal.

If anyone is interested is starting a 'I heart Bob' fanclub, please feel free to use these images. :D

'Hey little stoma buddy'

IMG_8259.jpg

Tasting sand......:

IMG_8252.jpg

IMG_8251.jpg

IMG_8263.jpg

IMG_8245.jpg

:wub:

Well, I was in a cutting mood today........ And no, I'm not emo! :lol::huh:

I got these red skirted zoas for free from a local reefer, and he failed to warn me they grow faster than GSP! omgomgomg So when I looked at the tank a little while ago, and saw that they had spread to a couple of other rocks where they are not permitted, I took out the handy nail clippers... the short scissor kind... and starting trimming away. Got one nice size group of probably 25+ polyps, another with around 10 polyps, one with 2 polyps, and one frag of the eagle eye/whammin' watermelon (or whatever the hell they are) with 2 large polyps and 3 babies. I'll take some pics when they all open up. I don't know if I should try selling them on my local reef club classifieds or try to trade with a LFS... Hmmm...

What kind of clownfish are you thinking of getting? OOps lol just saw occ above that didnt register at first...Ill try to lay off the booze.

What kind of clownfish are you thinking of getting? OOps lol just saw occ above that didnt register at first...Ill try to lay off the booze.

Or what the dude in your avatar is smokin'. :P

I miss my old pair of occ. clowns. They were so active and curious, and had just started hosting their frogspawn. I think I'll go looking for another pair in the next few days, and probably buy some base rock while I'm at it.

Awesome Young Lady...Great Pics.

Those little Stoma snails are still HOT!!!!

Izzue

Thanks Izzue! I've got to tell you, when I transfered everything from the 10gal., the most time consuming thing was scraping those little stomatellas of the walls with a razor blade. I only lost a couple of them, and a few might have gotten washed away when I washed the sand, but I've still got a ton of them. In a few more weeks, they should be ready to adopt. :)

That little clown goby is starting to grow on me the more I see it. Do you think a clown goby would get along with a sixline or another type of goby like a shrimp goby? I think i've read that it's not a great idea to have multiple gobies, but what is your experience with the little guy? I'll be interested to see how the clowns work out with him, as I want to get an occ clown as well.

YCGs are *supposed* to get along with most other fish, except for other YCGs. Now mine has always been the only fish in the tank, but I'll soon add a couple of clowns to the mix and see how they get along. I would also like to add a hi-fin goby. I guess you would need to look at other people tanks that have them mixed in with other fish and see how they get along. On his own, Bob is just as mellow as can be. He spends most of his time sitting on the koralia that is not being used, but sometimes goes to sit on the rocks and hunt pods. In your 24gal tank, I don't think a YCG would cause any trouble. :)

yankeereefer

I had YCG's with both a single and pair of clowns - With a single clown was better IMO, ultimately it went carpet surfing though - The next one was with a pair and was out competed for food. By the time I tried to isolate the YCG it was too late.

They are great little fishies and tend to be photogenic! Here's a few pics:

DSC01949.jpg

DSC01893.jpg

DSC01939.jpg

a62efaaa.jpg

Cute pics yankee!

One promising note, when I was transferring everything to the new tank and before my two clownfish died, my YCG swam over to the pair and sat on the rock next to where they were swimming. He even swam a little bit next to both of them, so I think he'll be fine with other fish. I'm just hoping the others will be just as willing to be friendly.

lakshwadeep

I like your last pic of them swimming together, yankeereefer.

Clown gobies in general are thought to have some type of toxic mucous that makes even large predators not eat them, and so they can be kept with other fish. They are also aggressive to each other, as Lalani has mentioned.

leofromdade305
Oh cool, LiveAquaria has black clown gobies. B)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...cfm?pCatId=1857

love your 20h i my self am looking tyo set a 20h have it in my rooms right no whave a 5.5 set up now with 2 zoa frag a feather duste a candy cane coral 2 heads and like 12 heads yellow polyps and fish a black percula a turbo snail and a hermit carb unidentified a 3gall sump a 60 whisper for fistration a rio power head 200 for pump return and on the sump a millenium 2000 filter for return to tank and filtration on the sump lights on the 5.5 is 1 28 watt 50/50 coralife and a t8 i belive on the sump 15 watts pic are gonna be updated later on tonight and im hoping for some help on the 20 gall setup.

NICE TANK BY THE WAY LOVE THE ROCK WORK AND THE YELLOW GOBY .

love your 20h i my self am looking tyo set a 20h have it in my rooms right no whave a 5.5 set up now with 2 zoa frag a feather duste a candy cane coral 2 heads and like 12 heads yellow polyps and fish a black percula a turbo snail and a hermit carb unidentified a 3gall sump a 60 whisper for fistration a rio power head 200 for pump return and on the sump a millenium 2000 filter for return to tank and filtration on the sump lights on the 5.5 is 1 28 watt 50/50 coralife and a t8 i belive on the sump 15 watts pic are gonna be updated later on tonight and im hoping for some help on the 20 gall setup.

NICE TANK BY THE WAY LOVE THE ROCK WORK AND THE YELLOW GOBY .

Thanks!

You say you have a perc in a 5.5gal. tank? I'm sure you know that you'll need to move him to the larger tank soon after its cycled.

If you have any questions about your new 20H, just let me know! :)

leofromdade305
Thanks!

You say you have a perc in a 5.5gal. tank? I'm sure you know that you'll need to move him to the larger tank soon after its cycled.

If you have any questions about your new 20H, just let me know! :)

ty and yes a perc its about maybe an inch its an inch of fish per 5 gallons sow for now itsok all parameters are perfect nitrate o nitrite o ammonia 0 ph 8.2 8.3 akalinity at 1.25 calcium 410 almost 420 where i want it to be but wanna upgrade to a 20h but want to kip a cup coral and torch sow wanted to now how much u got ur t5s for cause im on a buget of 150 for lights and ext no its not good to be on a buget but im buying a car too sow u no how it is i wanted to n how long u had ur 20 running for and how much ur lights ran for cause ill love to set a 20h mines is wood oak sow i could kip a pair of clowns and ext 1 or 2 yellow gobys love does little bros and see whaT I add from there just wanna add frags cause i wanna see them grow from small to big .

Ok, I had a little trouble reading that one loooong sentence, so lets see if I can help...

The inch of fish (adult size) per gallon applies to freshwater, not saltwater. Its actually not very accurate in freshwater either since each species has its own needs. Take a look at lgreen's Nano Fish Guide.

This 20H tank has been running for 10 days................. Don't panic! I transfered all of the rock, sand, and inhabitants from my other two established tanks to this one.

I bought the Finnex T5HO fixture from nanotuners.com for $114. Great fixture!

If you are on a tight budget, you may want to rethink staying in this hobby. ;)

And you CANNOT keep two yellow clown gobies together. They will fight and eventually one will kill the other.

leofromdade305

no i have the money for it just bying a car and wanna be on a low buget for at least a month or sow but i wanna get 20h running alreadyither than that wat other lighting should go on the 20 h for softies just shrooms zoas yellow polyps and ext after my car im good to buy more equipt thgis is just for now do the curly 6500k florecent light work well with salt water aquariums ? there i belive sorry 5500k 14watts a piece but was thinking of putting like 2 5500k or 6500k white and 2 actinics plus my 50/50 pc lights 28 watts ?

do the curly 6500k florecent light work well with salt water aquariums ? there i belive sorry 5500k 14watts a piece but was thinking of putting like 2 5500k or 6500k white and 2 actinics plus my 50/50 pc lights 28 watts ?

The 5500k and 6500k temps are not suitable for corals. Don't use them unless you want dead/ugly corals and beautifully lush hair algae. ;)

To keep low-light corals in a 16" tall 20gal. tank, I would say no less than 36w T5HO or 80w PC lighting. I'm not the most experienced with the proper color temps, so you may want to take a gander at the Lighting forum. They would be able to answer your lighting question more thoroughly than I.

Archived