Cultivated Reef

Nick's 24 Gallon Aquapod

Nick's Reef

Not to highjack but I added a single duncan two weeks ago and now there are 4 more babies on it.

Nick the tank looks great. Can't wait to see your new ric's!

If they spread so fast, why are they so expensive?

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nick's Reef
Wow Nick.. That is impressive work... I have just started up my 24 gallon Aqupod... 2 weeks into Cycle... Did I understand Correctly that you are running the filtration with 1 sponge... are you just setting your elite on top of the bottom sponge.... I have on order a sub halogen to try to mod 1st chamber for chatoe... anyway you could post some pics of your back chambers that I could use as a ref... This is my 2nd tank have a custom 7 gallon that is about 90 days in got hooked and am just trying to pull in as much info as I can over the next 5-6 weeks of the cycle to be ready to start getting some life in there.... Great post

Thanks, I'm setting the purigen and chemi-pure on top of the sponge, when i get the rics in I'll try to get pics of the back chambers for ya!

I thought I read on here you talking about your Duncans. Are they fast growers? It seemed to me like you said you have a lot of baby heads. Unless it was someone else. I want to get some, but there usually a lot around here.

Yes, they do grow fast but take forever to produce new stalks for the new heads. I hope you know what I mean, my point is, it will be a while before you're able to frag the new heads.

Not to highjack but I added a single duncan two weeks ago and now there are 4 more babies on it.

Nick the tank looks great. Can't wait to see your new ric's!

Thanks, the rics shipped out and i've got a tracking # so hopefully i'll get them tomorrow although Fedex says scheduled for Friday delivery. :D

So, the heads are small and visable but buy the time they grow full sized it will be a while. I was wondering why they are so much if they grow so fast. Do you have any pics of the baby heads?

Nick's Reef
So, the heads are small and visable but buy the time they grow full sized it will be a while. I was wondering why they are so much if they grow so fast. Do you have any pics of the baby heads?

Yeah, I'll get a pic for you along with my filtration and new rics! :D

Yeah. I am 2 weeks into the cycle on my Aquapod. I have 26lbs of LR.. Running a Korali 1, maxi jet 900, and stock pump.... I popped out all the top vents and have on the way a 2nd Fan for the left side and seem to still be sitting at 80 during the evening at 81 during the day.... You guys have any quick fix for dropping the temp 3 degrees... It isnt so bad that i am going to drop $300 on a chiller but still want to get in that 77-78 range... Here is a photo right after a dropped in a new 13.9 LBS rock yesterday so the water is still a bit foggy... Any suggestions on the temp would be great...

NO I have dont have a Halide yet... Want to move to 2 pendents here down the road... I am still running the standard lighting with a submersible Halogine in the rear for what will end up being my reff for chato

Nick's Reef

Well the rics came today, and they look amazing!!!! I also got some freebie Green Bay Packer zoos and a hermit shell. I'll post pics of everything as soon as the open up from being moved off the sandbed.

lilredneckman
Well the rics came today, and they look amazing!!!! I also got some freebie Green Bay Packer zoos and a hermit shell. I'll post pics of everything as soon as the open up from being moved off the sandbed.

PICS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Do they just collect them and sell them? If that's the case why dosen't everyone just do it?

Nick's Reef
Do they just collect them and sell them? If that's the case why dosen't everyone just do it?

No they buy them from a wholesaler who gets them from the collectors. Also you must have all the proper liscense and permits to collect coral.

Now to the pics!

Ric With Flash

P2090102.jpg

With flash the yellow really comes out! :)

Ric without flash

P2090104.jpg

Looks alot duller than in person.

Green Bay Packers

P2090106.jpg

Now for Ochos pics of baby duncans;

P2090105.jpg

P2090107.jpg

nickxp heres some pics of my filtration set up (I took all these pics in order of the layers):

Top layer of filter floss

P2090112.jpg

Chemi-Pure Elite

P2090113.jpg

2nd layer of filter floss

P2090114.jpg

Purigen

P2090115.jpg

Sponge

P2090116.jpg

Hope everyone enjoys the new pics! :D

Nick's Reef
The dunc babies look like big heads but with no stalk. Nice new rics. Why would they send you a shell?

Thanks, and yes the duncan heads do look like big heads but are the size of a nickel. Also that was a typo, the zoos are on a hermit shell.

Yeah, it seems like the heads grow fatser then the actual stawk, if that makes since. I was gonna say, why would they send you a hermit crab shell? Who want's those. I just threw a bunch away.

Tanks for the pics that is how I have it set up know... I know have the purigen and the chemi is kinda a waste right due to still in my cycle time but it just keeps the water so crystal clear... how often do you change the chemi and purgine

Nick's Reef
Tanks for the pics that is how I have it set up know... I know have the purigen and the chemi is kinda a waste right due to still in my cycle time but it just keeps the water so crystal clear... how often do you change the chemi and purgine

Hey no problem, if you ever need help with your tank just let me know. As for your question, I change the purigen every six months and chemi-pure every 4 months.

noobofreefs
Hey no problem, if you ever need help with your tank just let me know. As for your question, I change the purigen every six months and chemi-pure every 4 months.

Purigen changes color, I think. Chemi-pure can last up to six months but is best changed at 4-6.

I can't remember if I have commented on this tank before but I have seen it many times...It looks awesome and your doing a really good job. The rics are awesome and I want some greenbay packers! (I love the team)

Just wanted to let you know that I like it...

NOR

Thanks for the Info... I broke down and got the new Coralife 150w 1400k Metal Halide... Hoping with removing the hood cover for the halide.... Any one have any experience with this... really hope it does the trick... let me know if you guys have any tips or thoughts on my switch

Archived