SaltCritters.com

Nick's 24 Gallon Aquapod

Nick's Reef

Nick's Reef
How much did you pay for the Fairy Wrasse?

I think I paid a touch over $40 for him. They will look nothing like he does when you buy him but once he gets settled and is eating a good diet they will color up dramatically! I feed mine (and all my fish) New Life Spectrum Marine Pellets, Cylopeeze, PE Mysis, Ocean Nutrition Brine Shrimp Plus, and DT"s Phytoplankton. I plan on switching from the brine shrimp to Prime Reef due to the added ingredients and overall better nutrition. I also try to feed a different food everyday, it keeps them from getting picky and the dt's is only once a week. This is because if you use it to often you will get some CRAZY aldae growth!

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw one at my lfs and I think it was $50. I feed mine, Mysis, Angel Formula, Cyclops, Phytoplex (gonna stop once gone). I used to use DT's but it would get bad too quick.

Nick's Reef
I saw one at my lfs and I think it was $50. I feed mine, Mysis, Angel Formula, Cyclops, Phytoplex (gonna stop once gone). I used to use DT's but it would get bad too quick.

I'd go for it if you didn't get the Cleaner Wrasse, or you could try to trade the Cleaner in for the Lubbock's.

Nick's Reef

Yay! My peppermint shrimp ate all the aiptasia! I'm so glad, they were so anoying and unsightly. Also, today was shippment day at the lfs so tommorow I will be going there and hopefully get a few nice frags. Even if I don't get anything I will post pics, so stay tuned! :D

My lfs will be getting a shipment too so I'll be going to check stuff out also. How often do you do water changes?

Nick's Reef
How often do you do water changes?

Once a week I change about 3 gallons. Suprisingly with such a high bioload my water quality is perfect. (I have my water tested by the lfs once a month and check ph, cal, and alk after every water change) I also run purigen and chemi-pure elite so that gives me a bit of a cushion. I also don't have to dose anythig.

I do about a 2.5 gallon water change every week. I'm still using the stock filtration and have never had any problems. I still want to add 1 more fish... :happy:

Nick's Reef
I do about a 2.5 gallon water change every week. I'm still using the stock filtration and have never had any problems. I still want to add 1 more fish... :happy:

If you want another fish you're going to need to change from the stck filtration to purigen and chemi-pure. Plus with the stock filtration it's like a ticking time bomb, you'll never know when your nitrates are going to spike but when they do it isn't going to be pretty.

Yeah I've always thought about that. I'm afraid to take it out now because what;s gonna hold my good bacteria, like my sponges, bioballs and ceramic stuff? I always heard Purigen is for tanks with nitrate problems.

Nick's Reef
Yeah I've always thought about that. I'm afraid to take it out now because what;s gonna hold my good bacteria, like my sponges, bioballs and ceramic stuff? I always heard Purigen is for tanks with nitrate problems.

What I did is just take out one thing a month after i found out my filration was crap. As for purigen, it's basically carbonbut does alot more thank keep ammonia down. :D

I'll post about this on my thread later today. I want to hear everyone's elses opinion too before I go ahead an do it.

Nick's Reef

i went to the lfs not expecting much but.....I got BLUE XENIA!!!!!!!! I have to split it with my mom but she also gave me some zoos she bought. I'll have pics up after i frag the xenia and everything is open. :D

Nick's Reef

Full Tank Shot

P1140007.jpg

Top Down of Zoo Garden

P1140008.jpg

Full tank Top Down

P1140009.jpg

Yashas

P1140004.jpg

Yasha Top Down

P1140011.jpg

Duncan Top Down

P1140013.jpg

New Zoos

P1140016.jpg

Cespitularia

P1140018.jpg

Love the new zoas. You'll have to post a pic when they full open up. I've been wanting a duncan but there just too expensive. My lfs had a 2 or 3 headed for $50. What'd you pay for yours? Oh yeah, they hane a Yasha for $50...just felt like telling you that!!!

I just picked up a single headed duncan this morning for $30....he is aclimating now.

Not bad...I just can't find them that cheap. I wish they had a little more color. What do you do for acclimation? I nver accliminate my coral. I figure the lfs gets them to their store and just throws them in the tank. I've never had a problem.

Nick's Reef
This tank is looking really good! :)

Thanks, now I just need lilredneckman to get some $$$$ so we can start our little pico tank competition. We found bigger vases the other day at the craft store so we're getting those, mines going to be an Aussie biotope w/ some sexy shrimp. i don't know what he's doing, probably zoa only.

Nick's Reef
Vase picos, sounds like fun! :)

Yeah they're 1.5gal 7in. cubes, we just need to but the darn things. We'll start a thread on them as soon as we get them.

Archived