Top Shelf Aquatics

Yes, another 10 gallon build.

SaltWaterNewb

SaltWaterNewb

It actually looks lower than it really is. I might still add some more though. Thanks for the input.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SaltWaterNewb

Ammonia up to around 2ppm. Added a couple more pieces. Look better? Created another nice little cave area on the right and there is a really nice cave/shelf on the left. Crab heaven crab.gif

DSC_1167.jpg

DSC_1169.jpg

SaltWaterNewb

Quick update, ammonia over 2ppm, nitrites are creeping up, so things are progressing nicely. Added my AC 70 last night. Placed the heater in it but otherwise it is empty and unmodded for now. Really picked up the flow. One question though, the water is kinda dusty looking, real foggy. I can see the "dust" circulating in the tank. I assume this is from the sand? If not, any ideas? Also, how can I clear it up? I was thinking about getting some filter floss and polishing the water to see if that helps.

SaltWaterNewb

Today's numbers make me happy:

Ammonia - 8 ppm

Nitrites - 2 ppm

Nitrates - 15 ppm

pH - 8.0

Sal. - 1.025

Hopefully diatoms start showing their ugly face soon B)

SaltWaterNewb

Took the shrimp out and smells much better now cheeky-smiley-018.gif

Everything else still the same and on course. Nitrites up a bit which is nice. Ammonia still off the charts. No diatoms yet.

Oooooh, I never saw that red paint job coming. Spectacular! I am wanting to get a pico for my desk at work and you are giving me some great ideas. Very inspirational. I have been putting a ton of thought in to mine. I'm afraid that a 10 gal may be too big, so I'm looking for a 5. I figure I'll just pull the water, rock and sand from my existing 24, so no cycle. I like your stocking ideas, crab heavy huh? I've never heard anyone say that. Shrimp, goby, etc, but not crab. I like it.

I'm planning on putting at least 2 clown gobies, and maybe a small school of anthias in mine! :D

SaltWaterNewb
how much rock do you have in there so far?

No idea. I just used all dry dead rock that I had in storage in the basement. I would say it is equal to about 12-15 pounds of LR though.

So where's the hand picked coraline covered rock?

Don't have yet. I will be getting that when I order my CUC to save on shipping costs.

lakshwadeep
Don't have yet. I will be getting that when I order my CUC to save on shipping costs.

How big of a CUC will be arriving? I'm just nervous that some CUC members might get stressed from the live rock being put in the tank at the same time (unless that is not your stocking schedule).

SaltWaterNewb

It won't be a large CUC. Not sure the number yet but I don't see more than 5 or 6 snails being added. As for the rock, it will be a small piece. I doubt it will be a pound. I just want something that has some coralline on it to seed the rest of the tank since I didn't use LR in my tank. If nothing else I will just scrape off the coralline and add that to the tank and not even add the rock itself.

I'm not sure, but as much as the coraline is good on the rock, I think the point is that if you have it growing on YOUR rocks it just means you have a good calc. level. You won't even need to add that rock if you are dosing. The bigest reason that the piece of live rock will be beneficial is that it will have the bacteria and critters that you need.

SaltWaterNewb

Well, no plans to dose unless I really have to. Plus if I used totally dead rock and no live rock to start up my tank, there would be no coralline in there correct? So I would need to seed it in order to get some going?

SaltWaterNewb
Sweet looking tank. Why no fish? Not even 1???

Not planning on it. Reason being I want to keep the bioload as low as possible plus a fish is just one more thing to have to take care of in the tank. IF I decide to have a fish and I am trying to resist the urge, it would be something small like a yellow watchman goby. But I am really wanting to not even have that. I hope that have several crabs will give me enough to watch I won't need a fish in there.

lakshwadeep
Not planning on it. Reason being I want to keep the bioload as low as possible plus a fish is just one more thing to have to take care of in the tank. IF I decide to have a fish and I am trying to resist the urge, it would be something small like a yellow watchman goby. But I am really wanting to not even have that. I hope that have several crabs will give me enough to watch I won't need a fish in there.

:) A wise decision if you want a low bioload and low maintenance (no need to worry about feeding, disease, etc.).

Looks great man, love the aquascape, impressive for such a small tank. Cant wait for your cycle to end and see some corals in there.

SaltWaterNewb

Not much to report at this point. Ammonia still higher but coming down, nitrites are coming down, light diatoms forming, nitrates at about 15ppm. Found my old RO/DI filter system in the basement. Needs new filters but soon I will be making my own delicious RO water = happy tank. I am hoping things will be ready by end of the week for some snails. I am tired of looking at rocks :P

SaltWaterNewb

Still cycling, slow but sure. Not much to report. My thread got buried so I just wanted to get it back to the top. I do have a better FTS of my empty tank of bare white rocks for your viewing pleasure. As always, comments welcome.

DSC_1259.jpg

Practicing up close photography so when I DO finally get something in there I can get you some nice pictures. So here are a couple up close pics of...well...rock. Enjoy.

DSC_1263.jpg

DSC_1262.jpg

SaltWaterNewb

Still cycling. Starting to get stir crazy here. Seems like no end in site. Ammonia and nitrites still high. Not sure what to do. I guess play more of the wait game. Wonder if I go to LFS and buy a small piece of cure LR to add to the tank if that would speed things up?

Archived