Top Shelf Aquatics

My 2.5g Pico with built in Sump/Refugium

Sandeep

Sandeep,

How did you heat up the butter knife to make the overflow slots? I was thinking about doing this on a 5.5 AIO, but I wasn't sure what the best method would be to heat the knife up.

I didn't even think about melting through the acrylic when I did my 2.5 AIO. I just ended up drilling holes like the ones you made with the soldering iron.

Thanks for the help, and keep up the good work!

Robert

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update as promised. I've removed the purigen and the chaeto and replaced it with another type of macroalgea - Caulerpa which seems to be thriving and growing faster. The foam on the maxi-jet intake has been removed to allow small animals to freely circulate between the refugium and the main tank.

Corals: zoas, hammer, frogspawn, xenia

Animals: 2 porcelain crabs, 2 blue legged hermit crabs, peppermint shrimp, yellow clown goby

Pico2Apr21_08b.jpg

Pico2Apr21_08c.jpg

Pico2Apr21_08a.jpg

Answers to questions and comments:

1) Cost - figure it out from any online aquarium store website or your local LFS. To that cost add $20 to $30 for acrylic, acrylic cutting knife, silicone or other cement and cut glass top from glass & mirror shop or picture framing shop.

2) Dimensions

Refugium/Sump partition wall is 10cm from the left edge of the tank. Semi-partition between sump and refugium compartments is 8.5cm from the back left edge of the tank. This allows a snug but enough space to easily remove and insert the maxi-jet 400 for the weekly cleaning of it's intake. If you make the partition too small, it's going to put too much stress on the acrylic wall glue joints in removing and reinserting the maxi-jet.

3) Water Changes

I do weekly water changes of 0.5 gallons (2L).

4) Parameters

After a couple of weeks it's pretty easy for me to judge what to add and when so testing is not needed. Currently I top off with 50ml of fresh water daily to maintain stable salinity. When I do weekly water changes, I add approx 1/8 teaspoon of Kent Turbo Calcium pellets to my Tropic Marin salt mix. Alkalinity has stayed stable in the 7-8 range with the weekly water changes so no need to adjust. Temp is 76F to 80F during a 24hr cycle.

5) Small Tanks

Agreed folks don't realize the smaller the tank, the tougher and more challenging it is. If you are getting into small tanks, I would suggest that folks first start with at least a 20g nano (see my thread on mine) and run it for at least 6 months before even attempting or thinking about a pico reef. The key is really patience and discipline, you can't slack off.

6) Melting the Intake Slots

Just place it with the flat blade on the top coiled oven elements of your stove set to Hi (the ones used for pans and to boil water on top of the stove, not the ones inside the oven). And then I used a oven mitt to hold the knife. It cuts just like butter and when it's getting cold and slowing down, just put it back on the stove for a few more minutes. Make sure to practice on a scrap piece of acrylic to get the hang of it before doing the real thing. Make sure you place the slots at least 1cm apart, too close and the plastic looses it's structural integrity when melting the slots.

The pictures I posted above are pretty new - just from last week.

Only update is that the yellow clown goby starved to death refusing to eat anything, they are very picky eaters.

I Ate A Cake

Great tanks. I would love to start one eventually.

How big is the standard 2.5G? Can't seem to remember.

Dimensions of the tank are approx 12"Lx6"Wx8"H

No heat problems with the light at all, temps are 78F with it sitting on the glass top and running all day.

• 3 weeks later...
Update as promised. I've removed the purigen and the chaeto and replaced it with another type of macroalgea - Caulerpa which seems to be thriving and growing faster. The foam on the maxi-jet intake has been removed to allow small animals to freely circulate between the refugium and the main tank.

Corals: zoas, hammer, frogspawn, xenia

Animals: 2 porcelain crabs, 2 blue legged hermit crabs, peppermint shrimp, yellow clown goby

Pico2Apr21_08b.jpg

Pico2Apr21_08c.jpg

Pico2Apr21_08a.jpg

I'm missing something here, wouldn't/doesn't the propeller in the max-jet chop up anything trying to pass between the refugium and the main tank area?

• 5 weeks later...

Do you think if you added more rock to gain more vertical space that would mess up your ability to keep the water params stable? Also do you think your lighting would provide enough light for sps? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
superduperwesman
Dimensions of the tank are approx 12"Lx6"Wx8"H

No heat problems with the light at all, temps are 78F with it sitting on the glass top and running all day.

What is the temp where you live?

I have the same tank and light and today my temp is up around 84.5

• 2 weeks later...
NotAPiscivore

You should really try to avoid caulpera taxifolia as it is an invasive species. For example San Diego as spent millions of dollars eradicating it and is illegal in California (I know that's not where you live). Just dispose of it properly when you trim it back.

FYI check out the following links

SCCAT

Article

NotAPiscivore

Oh, saw a posting quoted by someone and thought you were in Canada... anyway regardless of your location it is something to think about it. Also apparently there are 9 types of caulpera that are banned.

...not to distract from your tanks, your 2.5 and 5.5 are awesome! Keep up the good work. I am thinking of trying something similar w/ a 10g and the 2x18w T5 fixture. I hope this is enough light. I don't want to worry about temps though.

• 4 months later...
I am thinking of trying something similar w/ a 10g and the 2x18w T5 fixture. I hope this is enough light. I don't want to worry about temps though.

Don't the T5's run cooler than PC's?

Jenna

• 3 weeks later...

how much did that whole setup cost you i think i might do 1 just a few corals and a fis so ill do atleast a 10 gal cuz i want a clown fish

Archived