Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sexy Shrimp Problem!

leahski

i know! gah, i did not anticipate this when i got them. i just thought, hey some adorable reef-safe scavengers that would be perfect in my nano! they should come with a warning or something "beware: although tiny and sexy, these shrimp require massive amounts of attention!!"

"extremely easy" care my foot!!

so, i'm deciding between trying to put all of my polyp frags into a sexy safe container in the tank OR gettin an automatic feeder to try and keep the sexies happy and not eating the polyps.

what would you suggest?

el fabuloso

This thread makes me sad cuz I love my sexies and I can't imagine having to choose between them or my corals. :( So now I'm curious to know how often this happens. Is this something that's prevalent or just isolated cases? Or maybe I just lucked out? Mine are doing so good that I really do think they're extremely easy to care. I don't even spot feed them, I just throw a bunch of pellets in the tank and they zig zag their way to the pellets.

I would definitely isolate them from the rest of the tank until you're back from your trip and you can implement a regular feeding schedule. Since your frags are glued down it might be easier to isolate the shrimps. Maybe keep them in one of those little breeder compartments inside the tank? That is if you can catch them.

i did a couple searches and it seems more people have had this experience. i'm glad its not just me. if this is just a bad luck thing then i have the worst luck ever! first a peppermint that ate my mushrooms and now sexies that are eating zoas!

so you would say to separate the shrimp in a breeder? wouldn't that isolate them from any food sources? i don't want to starve the poor things by any means.

el fabuloso

You could place an automatic feeder over the breeder. Or have someone throw a couple of pellets/flakes in the breeder every other day. Whichever is more convenient. ;)

there's no way to have someone throw some pellets in while i'm gone unfortunately. the tank is set up in my dorm room and im WAY unwilling to move the tank for a week.

should i try first to see if my frag rocks are still firmly attached? it seems like it would be alot easier to keep them isolated since they only eat the sun! :)

el fabuloso

Well in that case, yes. But one week is pretty long I'd be worried thinking about what kind of shenanigans they'd get into.

shenanigans? really? you think the little guys would do some sort of damage? hmm...

lalani, i almost barbequed my peppermint shrimp after he chomped on my shrooms, but these little guys are just so darn sexy that i want to try and make them work.

ah i don't know what to do!! this makes me so mad!

The sexies will be fine for a week without food. Just feed them before you leave and when you get back. I only feed mine once every couple of weeks if that. They just scavange what they can find in my tank. The only thing I feed more often is my baby plates because I want them to grow faster.

I bought one lone sexy right after my cycle to be sure everything was all good. I still have it and have not had a problem with it eating Zoas. It does sit on my patch of big ugly zoas at night, but I have not seen any damage from this, besides they are ugly anyways :)

However I bought it a buddy and he went right to my precious Zoas and started picking, not sure how much damage he could've done, but I took him out asap and put him into my 5.5 quarantine and he's still there.

Just throw in a starfish and let them munch on that for a week.

No, seriously - it's a large part of their diet in the wild, I'm sure they would spend all their energy eating one tubefoot at a time and ignore your polyps.

el fabuloso
Just throw in a starfish and let them munch on that for a week.

No, seriously - it's a large part of their diet in the wild, I'm sure they would spend all their energy eating one tubefoot at a time and ignore your polyps.

Do they eat sea stars like harlequin shrimps? I have a bunch of aterinas in my tank and the shrimps leave them alone.

el fabuloso
Wait, scratch that, I was thinking of Gnathophyllum shrimps. And I haven't even started drinking yet. :blush:

tsk tsk... :rolleyes:

bluegrizzlies1

I was thinking of getting some sexies but now this coral eating thing has me worried tell me if Im safe I have

shrooms

2 rics

clump of trumpets

duncan

2 aussie acans

blastos

branching hammer

and some orange button poloyps

2 clown fish

5 hermits scarlet and 5 astr snails

goby

This is a 12 gallon aquapod hqi

el fabuloso
I was thinking of getting some sexies but now this coral eating thing has me worried tell me if Im safe I have

shrooms

2 rics

clump of trumpets

duncan

2 aussie acans

blastos

branching hammer

and some orange button poloyps

2 clown fish

5 hermits scarlet and 5 astr snails

goby

This is a 12 gallon aquapod hqi

At this point it seems pretty hard to tell. I have three in a pico with mushrooms, ricordeas, zoas, palys, daisy polyps, xenias and GSP and they've been totally cool. OP is having problems with them attacking zoas so maybe they're attracted to certain types of zoas?

masterbuilder

I would just decide...do I want sexy shrimps or do I want zoa's. IMO, once creatures start eating corals its hard to make them stop.

Archived