inTank Media Baskets

1.5 pico

Psychosis

Well, it's a preety cool little tank. The lights aren't that bright, but there concentrated right in the middle of the tank were I'd like my softies any way. Heres a link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00130JFP..._pr_product_top

Mine has black trim, which I find infinitley sexier then the silver model. I suppose this would be a good way to start with SW on a budget. Expensive in a pico is still cheaper than skimping in a larger tank.

Edit: Cut out some...stuff...

agetupkiddan

Hey and welcome!

I'll give my 2 cents untill some of the more experienced ones come...

So that is a cool tank, i think what you need to decide (b/c of your last statement) is if you wanna go Pico or Nano... I say this b/c much of what you buy will be specific to one of these. So if you like small tanks and the idea of that, then stay with your Pico idea.

Money-wise, you'll spend more than you think... guaranteed... True you'll save money with water and lighting (maybe) in a pico.. but like anything in this hobby there are costs... just try and decide EXACTLY what you want now.. as i've spent more than i would have liked to "trying" things out and i have a small fortune worth of dif. sized tanks, filters, heaters, etc. in my basement to prove it. (If i knew then what i knew now)

Theres a lot of information around and the internet WILL save you money, so read up.

- The tank itself is cool, the light prolly won't hack it. If you still want that tank and not another small sized one (for 20 bucks you can find quite a bit, don't necessarily limit yourself to buying a tank with a filter and a light, as you'll prolly change out both of them) You can build a hood for it with a screw-in compact flourescent if you're crafty. You can hang a light over it, and keep that little light on if it won't come out.

- be creative with that and look around to see what others have done here. (Pico Forum, Lighting, DIY)

Hope thats somewhat helpful. But really my main advice is to decide Pico or not.. after that, tanks are easy to pick out and make work. (well, not always, but usually)

cheers

I personally like tanks that are longer than they are tall. It is still fairly shallow and it shouldn't effect light penetration too much, but you would be surprised how fast you will fill your tank w/ coral.

All right, a quick update on this tank. It turns out theres a rather obvious screw holding the top half of the nearly useless frame on to the tank. Slow moments...

Any way, I took the top off and now I have a HOB filter attached to the back. I still don't have any thing in it, equipment first, stuff later. I'm planning on just useing something simple like an office light to light the tank, just trying to figure out an appropriate bulb to use.

Heres a picture

tank-1.jpg

So, it's working out preety well so far. I just need a heater, and I'm hopeing the overflow from the filter will be enough current (I really can't imagine makeing room for a power head.)

Any thoughts?

Well, the tank is dirty, and my camera phone sucks (as does every one elses), but I'm preety sure it's acrylic. At least, that's what it's marketed as. If not, all well. I think I can get it working regardless, unless there's a real problem with plastic?

Well, the tank is dirty, and my camera phone sucks (as does every one elses), but I'm preety sure it's acrylic. At least, that's what it's marketed as. If not, all well. I think I can get it working regardless, unless there's a real problem with plastic?

I am definitely tracking this post. I have this exact tank laying around i was thinking of making it a saltwater tank my self have a HOB that fits too. Let me know what kind of light you use and how strong your pump is and if you can add photos once you get further i still have a few more weeks before i start this project.

Thanks

A

• 8 months later...

All right, it's been a while. I'm kind of embarassed, reading back on this thread. All well. Price you pay for being new at this.

Not much to update at the moment, I've removed all of the trim. It was cheap plastic, and the lighting is wired directly in to the base in an odd way. I've puchased a preety cool desk lamp which will soon house a coralife 50/50 bulb. I'm also upgradeing to an aquaclear 30. I'll be setting this up shortly after the holidays, and it should be live stock ready in Febuary. Its preety much a travisurfer tank clone.

As for stocking plans, I'm going to keep it simple. Mushrooms, GSP, Zoa's if I'm confident my lighting is adequate. Pulseing xenia later on. But I'm also considering a tulip/majano anemone species tank. There preety, and rather hard to kill on all accounts. The way I see it they should be practically noob proof. And, since they are pests, availability shouldn't be an issue. Bad plan?

The way I see it they should be practically noob proof.

if you think that...you are in for some harsh realities.

the coralife screw-in bulbs are practically useless for corals. theyre more for fish. i know cuz i had the 10's and the 20's and they both do nothing, except encourage stretching. youre better off just using that 20 bux towards a real PC fixture...

trust me. just spend the 50 or 60 bux on a coralife 18watt fixture, not the best but about 5X better than the screw-in.

Really? I've only read good reviews about the screw in. I guess I'll have to check my sources.

As for the noob proof statement, I was actually talking about the Tulip/Mojano Anemones. I was just browsing around, looking for ideas, when I ran across these accidentally. There pests to most people, but I find them rather attractive. I'm actually considering going with a Tulip Anemone species tank, since they breed so prolifically and sting other coral. Then again, that might be a horrible idea. I've got a few months to sort that out.

I'm off to research better lighting options. I'm preety disappointed. I really thought I had a winner with the coralife. Thanks for the heads up pismo

well....for the same same 20bux, you could get a 13watt retro kit from aquatraders.com.

it'd be about double the light output. the problem w/ the screwins is the internal ballast's just arent very good. and the lights need to be changed every 6 months or they become useless.

the 13 watt retro kit (with a 50/50 bulb) would do wonders over a tank this size...(for low-light zoa's and mushiez)...iwouldnt suggest keeping xenia or anemones in a tank this size for two reasons:

1-they are fairly light demanding and

2- they take over!....

Hmmm. This blows holes in my plans.

If I ever did get Tulip Anemones or Xenia, I'd either let them rule the tank or keep them in check. It seems to me that every one starts off thinking that they'll only keep a few corals, and then they end up upgradeing everything and keeping more than they intended. The reefing bug, I believe its called. I'm sure I'll wind up doing the same thing, so I might as well wait and get the right equipment right off the bat. Haha I've waited two years, whats another 3 months.

I still like the ac 30 for filtration and flow, but I seriously need to reconsider my lighting options. I'm off to google.

You can take the tank off of the stand if you want too. It can make it look a bit more appealing that way. Also, a single lamp light with a 50/50 screw-in pc works quite well.

i used 2x20watt screwin's over my pico, and the colors were very poor. the zoo's that came from t5 lighting stretched ridiculously and the ones from halides were almost giraffe-like. but thats just my experiance....

once i added the real 13watt PC tho, everything got its color back and stopped strectching...

edit: try the screwins if you'd like. who knows? maybe it'll be what you need. just wasnt anywhere near what i would call decent lighting.

Well, I'm confused. I thought the screw in's wouldn't provide adequate lighting?

It really depends on what you want to keep. The screw in's do work.

I found a 13 w flourecent fixture at good will for 6 bucks. I didn't pick it up because it didn't have any kind of base to speak of, but I think I'm going to. I might just get the screw in's as a test. I really don't plan on keeping any thing with high light requirements, but thats subject to change. I'll update when there's something new to show you guys. Thanks for all the help so far.

the 13w pc 50/50 would probably be just what you need for that tank. I think Hellolights.com still sells 13w pc retrofit kits pretty cheap.

buzz around NR and see what types of corals other people are keeping under that lighting and then you'll have a better idea of what you could keep. Or, just try it and see if it works. With a good reflector, I have a feeling you could keep most soft corals with that light.

(ps, you're not keeping that multicolored gravel in there are you??) Get some sand, LR and water so your tank can cycle a bit while you figure out your lighting situation.

Is there any reason why you're starting out with a 1.5g tank? If this is your first tank, you should do it right the first time around to save yourself the frustration and the money trying to fix things that don't work. I started in this hobby more than a year ago with a pico and it's still up and running and doing very well so I'm not trying to discourage you from starting a pico. If you skimp out too much from the start you'll only end up spending more money trying to fix it later on. :)

Oh no no, no colored gravel haha. That picture is from March of this year. I've been reading up since some time the year before that. I've only ever wanted low light corals, really. I think I'm going to give the screw in's a whirl. If I'm not happy with it then I'll replace it with something better before even buying coral. I could all ways use the light for other things if thats the case. I intend on letting the tank cycle for at least a month or two before getting any live stock any way.

Hmm reading through your thread, the screw in's are starting to look rather promiseing. I'm still looking in to other lighting. Its hard to find any thing that won't look rediculous on a 7 3/4" cube haha. Thanks for all the help so far guys. I'm sure i've said it before, but I really appreciate it. I hope to have pictures of this tank up and running after Christmas.

edit: I was looking, would the Current USA Satellite Single Compact Fluorescent work? I'd obviously have some over hang, but it looks like a decent package. Or the Coralife Mini Aqualight Compact Fluorescent Fixture. Cheaper and smaller, but I'm not sure that would be a great upgrade over the screw in's any way.

clownfish1124

many people have used the mini aqualight. keep in mind it runs extremely HOT. also, have you looked into maybe buying someones used picotope light? it's clip on so would look really modern.

Archived