Cultivated Reef

Rare Asian vine snakes for sale, not your Florida green snakes

Caesar777

I can't care for most of my animals anymore. The lush terrarium that housed my trio of Ahaetulla nasuta was once so beautiful, with many species of thriving Nepenthes pitcher plants, some fairly rare. But my recent trip to the ER has left me on a house arrest of sorts, staying with my parents to convalesce because I can't afford to stay in the hospital, and I just don't have the energy that I wish I had for them. They're really beautiful.

Two are left. One died inexplicably several months ago. They're been medicated several times throughout their lives, and I will include a vial of Metrodizanole to their new keepers to ensure regular medication. Because these only eat live lizards, no mice, no fish, no insects, no frogs, only LIVE LIZARDS they do carry quite a risk of contracting diseases from their food. (Reptile -> reptile = no barrier for pathogens that affect only some.)

I will include the half-dozen live brown Bahaman anoles that are left, as well as several contacts for sources straight from Florida. You can use any species of lizard, but anoles are ideal because they're plentiful, and brown anoles are an invasive species in Florida. To those who think it's awful, well, how is a mouse being used for food any different than a lizard? Or a fish? Or a cricket? That's nature.

These are marvelous snakes, but NOT for the inexperienced. They are mildly venomous, rear-fanged colubrids, but the venom is so mild that it shows little to no symptoms in humans. However, like the venomous rabbitfish and lionfish we keep in our reef tanks, the potential for a dangerous allergic reaction is high and must be taken seriously. If you're allergic to bees, you'll be allergic to most animal toxins. Thankfully, again these are rear-fanged and so they simply have grooved back teeth, not the long hypodermic needle-style front teeth of Viperidae, so they'd really have to chew for awhile to get in the venom, and again it's so mild...

Other than that, their care is fairly simple. Keep a humid, warm environment. I used potted Nepenthes pitcher plants as decor and climbing surfaces, pots held up on gutter-guard to keep the roots from rotting underwater (Neps are the only carnivorous plant which will NOT grow in bog conditions, including submerged pots), with lots of sphagnum moss for substratum to keep the humidity up. Regular misting of the tank, along with a heat pad stuck onto the back, a full-spec bulb for the plants, and a regular bulb for heat are enough. 85 during the day and 75-80 at night are fine for these guys. I have an aqualifter pump I was going to use to make a drip system, which you can have as well.

The snakes are about three feet long but thin as your pinky. Very, very thin, delicate snakes. They have never shown any aggression, including inside the cage, instead preferring to act invisible or to flee. I can ship them, as they were shipped to me, but they MUST go overnight. I'd prefer to sell them locally but I know that's unlikely. Seattle area, btw. If you pick up locally, you can have all their supplies, including their substrate mixes (sphagnum moss, perlite, $8 bag of orchid media), the pots with what remains of their Neps (some still have live shoots, but they're hurting), their heat lamps and bulbs, meters, aqualifter pump, etc.You might convince me to give up their cage, which is a very cool 18x18x24"T glass cage with hinged front doors.

$50 for the snakes and anoles, overnight shipping will be additional, probably be anywhere from $40-60 (business address saves $$ plus someone's there to accept the package), or pick up locally and get the whole shebang for $50 even. A deal.

I'm sure I've forgotten something because it's late and I'm inexplicably (sort of) awake, but if you have any questions about the animals themselves, feel free to ask. Oh, like gender: one male, one female. Heh. Forgetting obvious points = lol!

EXPERIENCED KEEPERS ONLY - KNOWLEDGE OF HERPETOCULTURE IS WHAT I MEAN; OF THIS SPECIES IS NOT PARTICULARLY NECESSARY

SEATTLE OR SHIP

Edit: PICS!

What their lush home once looked like:

5419lr9.jpg

Jumbled up:

4l78k1v.jpg

They're always cognizant of their surroundings. Here they're keeping a watchful eye over me. Notice the strange, slit-shaped, horizontal pupils.

68msght.jpg

Alpha female gulping down an anole:

6gb52e9.jpg

For those worried about the teeth, they're very small and inefficient. (Not my snakes pic'd here.)

4y5mjch.jpg

This is what they do to them in their home countries. (API)

6lvjex0.jpg

Wow. Those are very cool snakes. Sorry I can't take 'em as I don't know anything about 'em. But nonetheless those are beautiful. I hope you find a great home for them to go to.

hey cool! I'll take one if you have an hourglass shaped bottle and bluish liquid. It will match my office perfectly.

Cool idea! Lemme know your paypal.

That's snake-whiskey, so really all you need is some blue food coloring and some whiskey. ;)

omg send them to me in florida so I can let them go and they can eat all the anoles they want!! they are soooo cute. I hope someone loves them :)

Jess

You sure? Most legislation specifies snakes of the Viperidae family (as well as many others, esp boids) but these are colubrids, rear-fanged, and virtually harmless. (Yes, I realize there are rear-fanged colubrids that can pack a punch, like a boomslang, but that's not these by a long shot.)

I'm definitely interested. Let me confab with my wife and I'll get back to you. Wonderful looking snakes and that's a really nice enclosure you've assembled. I live in GA so I'm certain I can put together the same package of plants and substrate fairly easily. The garden centers around here carry all kinds of tropicals. Close enough to FL to get anoles by the load too. I've also got them in my backyard, haha.

Oh, and yeah they're a no-go in IL for sure. Their laws are so broad that they cover any species considered venomous. Real PITA.

Bill

Atlantis Reef

It truely sucks. I live within 3 miles of Missiouri board they can Have but I can't. I know this for sure because I use to be a bad boy and had Diamond Back Rattlesnake, A Black Cobra, 2 Mangrove snakes, and 2 copperheads. Use to is due to I got fined I will not do that again no matter how much I loved them

Edit: That sucks, FM. Bureaucracy of zoology! LOL (I've seen all the paperwork and b.s. you have to go through to get permits for such animals... Ick!)

Cool, V, keep me updated. I saw your name as a responder to this thread in an email-notification and smiled. I haven't been home much since the hospital visit and I worry about their well-being. They're hanging on, though.

Nepenthes can be special-ordered by most nurseries, although particular species may be tough to get and expensive, and even ordering a particular one may not be possible with a nursery that doesn't know CP's. Neps are ideal because their leaves are thick and waxy and they form sort of vines, so they're a great climbing substrate as well as adding interest to the tank. Lowland species require about the same care as the snakes: mid-80's during the day, upper 70's at night, fairly humid but not rainforest-moist, and a bit of light. They don't even need a terrarium to thrive, and esp in GA you probably have enough humidity as it is, but it helps; it's what makes them form their pitchers. The plants are not what they used to be in that first pic because of a lot of crap happening in my life, but I can send you some unpotted starts of what's left and you could grow them out, or buy them at your nursery for $15-$50 (depending on size and species).

And as far as the snakes...I know you're no stranger to herps (omg I heart V monitors :wub: + jealous!) but any Q's about these, of course ask.

You ever try to QT or treat the anoles? Or just buy them and feed them same day? It would be kind of a pain to house them I suppose. I know of some places that do sell them as feeders after fattening them up on gut-loaded crix but I think they come frozen if I remember right. Have to check on that. I'm used to critters that either eat rats/mice or salad, haha. These snakes are just so interesting though. What's your feeding regimen with them?

Bill

Oh, and if they're runners do you feed at the same time or separate them? Always hard with the small fast ones. Kinda like day geckos. Nice to look at but open that cage and it's a green rocket headed for your ceiling vents.

I order the anoles two dozen at a time direct from folks in the SE for like a buck apiece, and keep them in a separate terrarium. I feed them gut-loaded crickets and mealworms, and each snake gets one or two anoles every two weeks. I medicate the snakes every few months with metronizadole, and medicate each new batch of anoles. Wide-spectrum medicine that's mostly safe, it takes care of protozoans and some other parasites, and I've heard from some keepers that swear by it over Panacur, although that's what was used by the importer from where I got them.

Edit: The snakes are afraid of my hands, if not a little inquisitive, and very afraid of the doors. (I bought them as display animals, not something to handle, although they've never attempted to bite, nor shown signs of planning to, when my hands have been in the cage, even with anoles in there.) They see an anole, however, and it's like a heat-seeking missile (minus the heat, lol). They get on it and raise up their heads high, pupils so thin that they're barely visible, and cruise in little steps toward the anole. If they're feeling frisky, they just run right at it and strike it, but in those cases they're more apt to miss. I'd say they score 4/5 they get the first way, 2/5 the second way, but with the latter, they have so much energy that they strike about five times in 10 secs and score the anole anyway. :P

Oh edit again: When I had the three, it was difficult because one would catch an anole and eat it so fast that by the time I got an anole in for the third, the first would be on that one. Now that there are only two, it's easy: throw in one anole, whichever gets it gets it, then have another ready to toss in as soon as the first one catches his or hers, and the second can catch it without the annoyance of the first going after it and getting a two-fer. Although once there was a little battle and both grabbed the same one at the same time and refused to let go...lol. Female was left with a tiny pinprick on her face from the male's teeth, but that disappeared and she was fine. Difficult to pry open those tiny, delicate jaws. Really just had to unhook those recurved teeth of the male, and the female was already pulling away so she pulled herself away the second his teeth were unhooked. And she got away with the anole. :D

I had to do that with a black rat snake once. It finished its rat and decided it wanted the mouse that its smaller tankmate was eating. When I came back it had 1/4 of the other snake down its gullet. After alot of prying I got the little guy out and he was fine plus he finished his mouse. I got seriously tagged on the forearm by the big rat though. He/she was a 6 footer and that was definitely a bleeder. Separate tanks after that, haha.

I'd also like to know if you'd ship the whole package? I know it'd cost more, obviously. Maybe ship the snakes overnight and the cage, etc. regular mail? Or UPS or whatever you were going to use. Just curious. I could set the tank up fairly easily with what I've got here but I don't actually have any arboreal tanks. I do have a monster ferret mansion on my porch that isn't being used but my ferret might get offended if she lost her fancy house, especially to some snakes.

Bill

Mm, I just don't think the tank could handle UPS's (or any other shipper's) monstrous handling of things. It's glass, and granted I've shipped glass tanks, but I don't know. If you wouldn't mind taking the risk on your end, and could pay something for the tank (measly, like 50 bucks) just to get it packaged up and such, then possibly. I'd really have to think it over, though. I could always ship you all of their supplies *except* the cage, but I realize you want the tall-ness of the cage itself and probably have plenty of supplies anyway.

I have seen a cool thing done which is to take a regular terrarium, stand it on end, silicone on a piece of glass for the bottom to hold water/soil/etc. and then using hinges to make a screen or acrylic door for the front. Could be done tastefully, and a standard glass 55 would be ideal.

I was actually just thinking about that before you posted. I was trying to figure out how I was going to make the doors. I though about getting one of those screen tops they make for 55s anyway and just gluing it to the cage. Cover the "bottom" portion and there ya go. Those things come with doors built in as it is. Probably have to hang the lights weird to hit the side like that or heat panel the back/bottom of the tank. That would be sweet. Or a boatload of heat tape on that big panel. Still have to cover the bottom of that screen lid to keep the substrate and subsequent water in. Trying to think about the pieces of acrylic I have at work, haha. I'll check it out tomorrow and see if I can get something put together pretty quick here.

Bill

Well, since those glass tanks have the hard-plastic frames generally, you could try finding some kind of acrylic cement (not sure if weld-on 16 will work but maybe a thicker one?) or E-6000 glue (bonds ANYTHING) to attach an acrylic frame, on which you could attach long acylic hinges and acrylic doors with vinyl screws or ballot-box latches to secure them shut. (Yes, I've thought about this as well, lol.) If you want me to make some illustrations to show what I'm talking about, I certainly can. I was going to try my hand at black tree monitors and do this sort of thing but bigger, and was considering the same idea except with an acrylic cube for an octopus (super-secure).

I think I get what you're saying.

Black trees huh? Always wanted tree monitors but could never find a cheap shower/tub unit. Best cages you could ever have for those. Or just a straight shower unit. Knew a guy that worked construction and was all about the tree monitors. Used the broken or old units to make all his cages. Never had to worry about his mist systems or the humidity warping or rotting his enclosure. Had the whole bottom as water basically to keep the humidity up. They were super nice. Last I heard he had gotten eggs and some babies from Blacks and Greens. Not sure if his Blues ever did lay or not. Wonderful creatures.

Bill

I've seen a few cb blacks occasionally over the years, mostly the past two or so. (And of course blues and greens, but the blacks are my favorite by far.) At one point I could have grabbed two cb babes at 160 apiece, d'oh! But I had no space in the room I've been renting, and I have to move soon anyway, and what with all this ###### going on in my life, it wouldn't have ended well for the project. Someday, though. More and more people are finding success with getting those eggs to hatch, so maybe...someday. When I have the space, the money, the drive, and the lack of insanity.

V, I came to my house to pick up some items and found the female dead. It was within the past 24 hours, because I've been there since then. If you want just the male, you can just have him. Free. Just pay the actual shipping. I want him to go to a good home before he dies from my personal problems invading him. :( I have a small styro shipper-box that I found while digging through my things, along with some hand-warmers from when I used to sell frags, so shipping shouldn't be too much of a hassle or cost. And he was the smallest of the three at just under 3'. And he did eat at least one anole today, with gusto, so he appears to be doing fine...but for how long, I'm afraid I don't know. It would be such a shame to lose the last of this elegant triumvirant, and I'd rather give him away than delude myself into thinking that I can do what I need to do for him--lest myself. Please LMK.

YOUR FACE IS YUCKY LOLZ

I'd say "clowns are yucky", but they're not. I love clowns. <3

Well, V (Bill) is taking the lone male; I'm sending him out tonight with the last of his anoles. He's going to a better place, now, with someone who'll adore him as much as I have but also be able to give him the time and care he needs, that i can no longer give. <3

Spent this evening scoping out tanks in the local shops. Found one that struck my fancy that was the same dimensions as your tank but wire mesh. I'd have to line it for humidity purposes but I do like it. I've got a few more shops to hit before I pick one out and get it set. Meanwhile the in-between home is good to go. Hitting the garden center tomorrow for sphagnum and some cypress mulch. Going to check out their potted plant selection as well. I think he'll do well here. Just the fact that Teresa said yes to adopting him from you was a pretty significant step. Before this she was just proud to have stood in the same room as my red-tail, hehe.

On a side note, I did tell her it was this little guy or a 15' near-obese burm that is also being adopted out here locally. And to top that luck off I found a 6' tank for $100 because it has a crack. Not nearly enough for the burm but woulda been sweet for some type of critter. Sucks about the crack, it was RR!

I am still trying to get ahold of that person again. I want to stand it on end like we talked about before.

Bill

Archived