inTank Media Baskets

** StevieT's How to Glue Coral Thread **

StevieT

oh your some what local to me, might order your fish saver on your website for my bc29, do you have them in stock?

I do thave them in-stock, you can pick it up if you like to save on the shipping costs. That is if you are close enough

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering- if I wanted to move a coral I glued down, will I be able to peel the putty off the live rock? I don't want to stress it if I'm just going to have to reglue it to the same spot because I can't get the putty off the rock.

Yes, you can always remove a coral. It will pop off the rock with a little force.

Thanks for the quick reply! I meant to ask more if the epoxy will peel from the live rock, though. I did my first corals not as clean as yours (white epoxy visible everywhere) and would like to peel the epoxy off and reglue with as little epoxy and frag base as possible :)

Yes, I am speaking about both products. Epoxy has very little tack and will pop right off

Wow, what a quick reply :)

I hope it doesn't stress the corals too much to move them... I wish they made frag bases wafer thin so you could just trim around the coral instead of having the chip away at the thickness of the plug!

I had tried this method the other day and it had worked great.... However my fish somehow got some super glue gel on them and died that night. I just wanted to say be careful of the glue and fish because it was an unfortunate and very sad event. Just don't want this to happen to anyone else.

This is an awesome thread!!

Thanks

My clownfish gets very curious whenever I put a new frag in the tank so to keep him from getting glue in his mouth or anything I put the net in the water and he runs and hides. I guess that giant green mass just doesn't gel with him.

• 2 months later...

Thanks StevieT - great info and makes it easier for us who have never done this before... I was easily able to attach a chili coral upside down in a little cave with this!

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say great thread! I have a few pieces of coral that I picked up and am going to use this guide to glue them on my rocks but I have a question.

I went to Lowes today and picked up the suggested glue but couldn't find the putty.

There were only 2 kinds there so I got 1 tube of each

2eb6et1.jpg

Will either of these work? I don't want to put something in that will poison my fish.

The Loctite Epoxy Putty says: Contains epoxy resin, amine resin and polymercaptan. Do not get in eyes or on skin. Wash hands after useing. Do not breathe vapors.

The FIX-it Stick says: Hazardous Ingredients: Bisphenol a diglycidyl ether resin 25068-38-6, Crystalline silica 14808-60-7, Glass Oxide 65997-17-3 and has some non-hazardous stuff in it as well.

Also I picked up some some tile snippers to help shape the plugs but I have 2 pieces of coral on very strange and large plugs (they're more like rocks i guess) I don't think the tile snippers are going to stretch apart far enough to trim these. Any suggestions other than using a dremel?

4si4wk.jpg

• 4 months later...

I was able to find the Loc-tite superglue but couldn't find the putty, so I bought "Oatey's Plumber's Putty". It states on the package that all ingredients are non-toxic but also says to keep out of reach from pets and children. Is this stuff safe to use?

Thanks.

That is plumbers putty. Completely different product from what you need. Aquamend can be found at HD in the paint section. Other products like it are available. It is a two part stick that you mold together to start the reaction. Do not use the plumbers putty.

That is plumbers putty. Completely different product from what you need. Aquamend can be found at HD in the paint section. Other products like it are available. It is a two part stick that you mold together to start the reaction. Do not use the plumbers putty.

Thanks Stevie, I will head back to HD and try to find Aquamend.

The HD that I usually go to has an "adhesive" section. Here they have tape, glues, epoxy's, etc. This is where I found the loc-tite, but they didn't have any putty or aquamend. I will go tomorrow and ask around for it. They did have a product called marine epoxy, have you seen this, and is it useful for glueing corals?

Is the marine epoxy something that you mix two parts and is more of a liquid than a gel? If so no.

The super glue is what does the binding and attaches the corals. The aquamend is filler and provides a nice base for the coral. This way you use less superglue which is more expensive. You do not have to use aquamend.